Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do/Did You Play Hockey?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Head gotten too large? Or have you gotten too many lumps from the public?
    Nope, got a lot smarter in the past couple years. Must be an increase in brain power.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Actually....

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Wow this such a testosterone thead. Isn't hockey like soccer in the south, where both females and males play?
    When the season is over, I do play with a large group of people and it is Co-ed...and some of the gals are WAY chippier than the guys........

Wood sticks? OY. It's 2008 Zman...time to get with the times....composite is the only way to go....have 2, Drury curve, 85 flex, Easton S17's on the way as we speak.....if you are going to upgrade your helmet, check out the new Easton Lid, it's pretty sick. I'm rocking the RBK right now and loving it.
    Forechecking is overrated.

Just pond and lake hockey when I was growing up. It was rugby on ice, basically. We'd play street hockey during the summer with tennis shoes, hockey sticks and a tennis ball. This was back before in-line skates.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Despite being a Canadian, I don't care for hockey.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I grew up playing on ponds, one of my friends dad welded us a set of goals. Once my friends and I could drive, we started going to open hockey at rinks (our little town was 30 miles from a rink). When we turned 18 we started playing in the summer adult league in a nearby town with a rink. I took a few years off while in college, but now I have been playing in an adult beer league for the past 5 years or so. Good fun and a good excuse to go out on Sunday night and drink beer (not that I really need one

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by estromberg View post
    I took a few years off while in college, but now I have been playing in an adult beer league for the past 5 years or so. Good fun and a good excuse to go out on Sunday night and drink beer (not that I really need one
    Reminds me of my old grad school intramural league. Our league ice times at the UMich rink were 11 p.m., 12 a.m., and 1 am on Tuesday and Thursday. If you played at 11 or 12, you could still get to the bars for a beer or four before they closed at 2 a.m. If you caught the 1 a.m. game, you were just SOL for beer but still suffered from the lost sleep equivalent of hangover at work. The ex- hated it when I crawled into bed at 3 a.m. after an hour or so of ice time, in retrospect that might have contributed to our ex-ness.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Hockey might just be the best sport ever, but I have never played. The Austin area seems to be lacking in good ice as well so, for what you pay for, you don't get much but extremely late games on worknights (so Mr. Hab hasn't played in nearly a year). I hope our daughter wants to play and should we have any more kiddos I hope they also get to play. She can say most of the names on the Stars roster so at a minimum she'll be a fan.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Quote Originally posted by Habanero View post
    Hockey might just be the best sport ever, but I have never played. The Austin area seems to be lacking in good ice as well so, for what you pay for, you don't get much but extremely late games on worknights (so Mr. Hab hasn't played in nearly a year). I hope our daughter wants to play and should we have any more kiddos I hope they also get to play. She can say most of the names on the Stars roster so at a minimum she'll be a fan.
    Pretty common whereever you go, unless there is an over-abundance of rinks in the area. Typically, I play no earlier than 8pm on a weeknight and no later than 1045pm. On Sunday, it just depends....I've played as early as 345pm and as late as 1045pm. But I'm a hockey whore....if there's hockey and they need a player, I'm usually there.
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    *shreik*

With each second that ticks away on the clock, I am getting ever closer to getting back onto the rink.

Tonight is the "Skate and Rate" session for all new players in the local league and it is essentially a big drop-in session with league officials ranking you while you play.

While it'll be the first time on the ice in 7 years
    While there will be a mix of player types from "A" league to "D" league on the ice at the same time.
    While I know no one in the league or even on my team.

I am still really excited about it and cannot wait for the summer session to officially start.

This is going to be good.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    While it'll be the first time on the ice in 7 years
    It will be good Zman. Enjoy. Since it's been that long, remember that the jock goes under the shorts, not outside. I've seen that from little kids with non-athletic parents. Oh yeah, one last cup check before you step on the ice, don't want to get your b*lls rung.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Mid Season Update

Well, it is 6:30 MDT right now, I sit in my living room with the Food Network on, bored out of my mind. My feet are resting on my large hockey bag and I have just thought, "maybe I'll head to the rink now and hang out. Maybe catch some of the youth camp going on, get my skates sharpened, maybe re-tape my stick in the locker room."

Essentially, I am trying to say that the summer hockey league is going really well. Our team is 6-0, we are having fun and I have 4 goals and 4 assists. The team is meshing very well and we have all becom good friends. We all remark that we now forward to Tuesday (the night we play) moreso than any other night of the week.

Quote Originally posted by Zman
    This is going to be good.
    Yes, it is good. I am beginning to save cash in order to play in the fall/winter leagues and we are all trying to keep the team together.

And to CCMNUT, I am fine and happy with my wooden sticks. I got a new as well!

Here I am during warm-ups:

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Apr 2008, 7:28 PM
  2. Where Did You Play As A Kid?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 10 Jan 2006, 4:00 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Nov 2005, 7:30 PM