Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do You Play Air Hockey? (AIB Do/Did You Play Hockey?)

Registered
    Aug 1997

Do You Play Air Hockey? (AIB Do/Did You Play Hockey?)

Do you play air hockey? If you are at a bar, arcade, family fun center, etc. is there a game you particularly enjoy? Or can take anyone to school on? Billiards? Darts? Golden Tee? Skee Ball? Foosball? What else is out there?

My first grader and I like air hockey, but I'm always worried about him getting his fingers smashed by the puck. I'm pretty good at Skee Ball, but my son doesn't quite have the knack of it.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I used to love to play table or bar shuffleboard where you have a wooden table and metal pucks that you slide by hand. There was a sports bar in Detroit down by the old TIger Stadium (Help me out Detroit folks, does the Picture Bar sound right?) and we would drive down from Ann Arbor for games and then spend hours playing the locals when I was in grad school.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    at an amusement park i'm all about skee ball. at a bar i prefer foosball. growing up we had a foosball table and pinball machine in our family room.

air hockey, well i can take it or leave it. i don't seek it out but if i'm at a bar looking to have a good time (not that kind, pervos!) then i'll play whatever they have. except pool. i suck at pool.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I agree with DW.... I love foosball. I enjoy darts as well, as everyone thinks they are good at darts, but few really are. I like air hockey, but to me it isn't really a bar game. I think that it sits with ping pong and Wii as home games.

As for odd bar games, I enjoy puck bowling. You get basically a hockey puck and you throw it as smaller bowling pins and try and get strikes. Simple, fun, and you get better as the drinks flow.

ps. Golden Tee is ridiculous. Seriously. Some people are amazing at it... I cannot for the life of me do even decent.
    Last edited by Hink; 11 Apr 2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: I can't make complete thoughts
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I used to love to play table or bar shuffleboard where you have a wooden table and metal pucks that you slide by hand. There was a sports bar in Detroit down by the old TIger Stadium (Help me out Detroit folks, does the Picture Bar sound right?) and we would drive down from Ann Arbor for games and then spend hours playing the locals when I was in grad school.
    I think I know the place. N Side of Michigan? W of the Stadium? It is now called Corktown Tavern and when I would go there it was the batter box. There are still a lot of places in that area even though the ballpark moved a mile east.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I agree with DW
    ps. Golden Tee is ridiculous. Seriously. Some people are amazing at it... I cannot for the life of me do even decent.
    We used to have fierce competitions in the Umass campus center. Lots of time between (and sometimes during) classes. I had the lowest round record at one point but my friend beat it by cheating- he took a mulligan on the last hole (they'll give you a mulligan if you drop in another quarter). They show the replays of the top rounds and he was caught red-handed after he plunked one in the lake on the 9th hole.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Pool, ping-pong, air hockey and darts. After I stopped drinking, I'd still go to taverns with my friends and play darts. It was funny how my game got progressively better during the night, while theirs got worse.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My son has a table-top air soccer game we play a lot. When we first played, I really had to try hard not to win too much. Now we are evenly matched.

In my drinking in bars days I used to play puck bowling a lot. I was decent at it. I suck at foosball. I am only a little better at pool. What I am worse at is darts. When I got a dart pretty close to the ceiling and I wasn't drunk, I knew I had better stick to puck bowling.

My favorite barroom sport seemed to be striking out with the sorority girls.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Do/Did You Play Hockey?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 15 Jul 2008, 8:35 PM
  2. Where Did You Play As A Kid?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 10 Jan 2006, 3:00 PM
  3. Replies: 18