Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to cut back?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I am going to buy cow meat that was raised next door to my office.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

I'm sorry, I can't let this one go...

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I am going to buy cow meat that was raised next door to my office.
    ...in the next cubicle? I mean, that is an odd image...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ and I were just discussing this last night. Mostly about groceries and cutting back on more expensive cuts of meat. More ground beef, more chicken with bone in, egg and pasta-based dishes, etc. will be in our future. And of course we have our little garden growing out back.

Other than that, all I can think of is that we're using my vehicle for distance driving, since it gets better mileage that RJ's big truck. I've always combined trips. I would make my son ride the bus to school in the morning except that his pick-up time would be 6:30 and he would get to school 45 min before class starts, and that's just stupid.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I would make my son ride the bus to school in the morning except that his pick-up time would be 6:30 and he would get to school 45 min before class starts, and that's just stupid.
    Your kid is lucky. My parents would've made me take the bus and said, "Use those 45 minutes to study or do homework."
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Bike to work
    Just reduced car insurance coverage (we have, eek, four)
    Don't eat out much, if at all
    No vacations

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I do have some limits...although I have gotten a few things at wal-mart...I get them at the Wal-Mart that is a center city walmart that occupies an old Sears.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm not doing anything. I don't drive a gas-hog - so filling up costs maybe an extra 15 dollars a week - and I haven't seen any significant rise in the price of the groceries I typically buy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by tsc View post
    I do have some limits...although I have gotten a few things at wal-mart...I get them at the Wal-Mart that is a center city walmart that occupies an old Sears.
    It is still a Wal-Mart, Champ.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Been in Asia for last three months living on a shoestring. I will continue on with some of the habits formed:

Eating meat only 2-3 times a week
    Eating what is in season
    Not eating out
    Combining trips to avoid fuel waste
    Buying things when on sale
    Paying off remainder of debt
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Is it just me, or is there a bunch of self-aggrandizing going on in this thread???

Like some kind of competition to see who can cut back the most!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Is it just me, or is there a bunch of self-aggrandizing going on in this thread???

You know planners: always trying to lower everyone's standard of living...

Registered
    May 2005
    We're pretty frugal already, but in recent months we have also:

Replaced the remaining lights with fluorescents
    Going down to one car
    Growing food
    Expanding our water catchment system to save on irrigation costs

The rest we already do. Stuff like buying used clothing. Got our son's new bike for $30 (and he loves it). We don't do this to be righteous or anything. Just survival. As the squeeze gets tighter, its becoming more and more challenging to cut the fat.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Journeymouse View post
    and living in a relatively isolated part of the UK, petrol stations lay it on a bit thick so my local charges £1.20 ish per litre.
    Not to get too far off-topic, but for us Americans who whine about $3.50/US gallon (about 43p/ℓ) gasoline, £1.20/ℓ gasoline is about $9.60 per US gallon. (Diesel around here is $4 to $4.25 a US gallon, or 50p/ℓ.)

Living 27 miles from work, with only very limited public transit (about a three hour ride on two different transit systems if I tried it), there's no choice but to drive. Car pooling may be an option, but the only other planner who lives anywhere near me has four kids, which means "I gotta' go; so-and-so is sick". Telecommuting and 4/10 workweeks aren't offered. The only way for me to cut back on fuel consumption would be to find a different job closer to the house.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Mc Donalds has added a Red Box, we can get movies for $1 per night. It is 1/3 the distance to blockbuster and can be an on the way trip.
    We are really in a pinch with the cost of gas. Not Muchof a way to conserve. Wetry not to go much on the weekends. I had a huge fit when gas went to $3.00 but it doesn't seem to affect my family they still just go as they want.
    Although the eldest duaghter di just about die the other day when I said I was going to take (MY) truck to work. She asked what about the gas she had just put some in.
    I said I understood and I would keep her concerns about my usage of her gas in my truck and she should probably leave my presense before she got the lecture of her life...
    So when all else fails in conservation, just take your frustrations out on a teenager.....
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nothing, really. I'm cheap when it comes to some things, like I have no credit cars and used to drive "beater" cars to avoid payments. But lately:

My thermostat stays at 70 in this drafty old (1885) house.

I just bought a new car (efficient though).

I eat out ALOT - 5 to 7 times a week.

I go to the uppity grocer instead of the basic grocer or sams club.

So far, this economy hasn't hit me.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    So far, this economy hasn't hit me.
    Us either.

We've always been a bit frugal. My car is 12 years old. We try to limit how much we eat out - something that admittedly was not difficult to do when eating out meant hauling 3 toddlers to eat out as well. we take it easy with the thermostat. we meal plan each week based on what we have for meat in our freezer, or what's on sale. And I buy all the kids' clothing at consignment sales.

Things we do "splurge" on - local organic milk and eggs delivered to the home (actually cheaper than organic milk in the grocery store) - we are in an organic CSA, we spend way more on landscaping material (annuals/perennials) each year than we intend to, etc.

and PG - CONGRATULATIONS! Such wonderful news!

Registered
    Sep 2007
    We've always been modest in our lifestyle, and I got a pretty good raise this year, so we really aren't doing anything. My biggest vice is books, so I do try to buy them where I can get them cheaper (e.g, paperbacks at Walmart or Kmart or at least where I have a discount card and hardcovers through Amazon).

Maybe I could cut back on the beer....nah!
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Yay Planner Girl! Congrats!!

Am I the only one who spends money like a drunken sailor?
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    Am I the only one who spends money like a drunken sailor?
    Not at all KSharpe. I believe my wife is singlehandedly keeping both Target and IKEA in business. Our house is slowly turning into an IKEA store.

She's lucky I like cheap beer.

But I'm lucky I have her, so we're even.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

Lots-

With two kids in college (one out at the end of April) we've been living tight for a while now. I drive a 6 yo minivan when the weather is bad, otherwise, I ride my bike to work (10 miles each way- up hill in the morning, of course). I've dragged out my sewing machine and gone back to making my own clothes, make my own jewelry, eat chicken and more hamburger, buy cheap wine, take my lunch to work, splurge on coffee once a week - lots of the same things everyone else seems to be doing. Gardening is not much of an option for us - Central Arizona is not known for its fertile ground. We might give container gardening a whirl. Getting debt paid off is our biggest focus right now.

The only big splurges in my future will be a better rack for the back of my bike, and a dress form for sewing. Never ask your husband to pin a hem.

Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    Getting tons of extra napkins when I go to restaurants so I can save on paper towels. If anyone knows where I can get those Mayo packs, please tell me.

Cutting the thermostat down to 55F at all times (except when the kids are with me and before bed I put it up to 65 so the furnace won't come on for a while)

Very basic cell-phone line. $30/month for 200 minutes + free calls after 9:00 and other Sprint customers.
    Have not used heat since March 2007.............of course we live in Texas..............

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Oh and we invested in a camper so we can at least get out of the house but not have to go very far or get a motel.

I say investment because it's book value is twice what we paid for it. SO we can keep it for a few years and see how much we use it. If we don't then we can sell it and we should be just fine.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No extra mouths (like a wife, girlfriend, children, or pets) to cloth, feed, house or otherwise support.
    No debt,
    Not changing retirement contributions or vacation plans yet.
    Only buy red meat only when I go out for dinner.
    Don't drink or smoke - more savings.
    Live on a bus route.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

You bet, we Cybs are nothing if not competitive about saving $$, being "green", driving Subarus, etc.

Hmmm... we could be like "Biggest Loser" only saving money...some of those people get like rabid dogs when losing weight = big $$

Registered
    Sep 2001
    what is this cutting back you speak of?

I am thinking of buying a new car (and I mean brand new financed), have just bought some new clothes and things for my apartment, eat out 5-6 times a week and still have enough money to put away for retirement and pay my debt down aggressively (almost all of it is student debt).

and congrats PG, that deserves its own thread. The concept of you having a buck and doe is somewhat eerily titillating.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. I'm Back!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 23 Jan 2007, 3:49 PM
  2. I am Back!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Mar 2006, 10:32 PM
  3. And we're back!!