Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Could you live where a tragic event happened?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Could you live where a tragic event happened?

Living in a historic district, I have learned that there are the underlying stories of truly tragic events that have dotted the landscape of time and space. I found this to be even truer as I was looking into a house as a possibility, and noticed that a large section of the back of the house did not have the same character of the house. It had newer trim; the foundation did not have aged stains and appeared to have been cleaned or replaced, and just had a updated feel. Something was different.

After going looking at the newspaper archives, I understand why it is different. That section had been rebuilt after a blaze that took the lives of three little kids. Hearing the story in the newspaper about how the fire happened and the details of the discovery further only amplified the horrific nature of the event.

A surprising thing happened though, I almost made me feel obligated to raise a family in the house and to restore the sounds of children laughing in the hallways again. The house has been vacant since the event almost 15 years ago, but contractors have repaired all of the damaged area and the house is in better structural condition now then before the event.

Could you buy or live in a place, be it a house, apartment, block or such, knowing of a previous tragic event? Do you think that it would be wrong or just another detail in the timeline of history? Has anything tragic happened in your house or in place where you have lived?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Sure, just burn a little white sage and enjoy. I like your take on bringing the laughter of children back to the home. It deserves some happiness!

My house used to be a school, but as far as I know there have been no tragedies. Maybe you could consider school a tragedy depending on what the teacher was like?
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I like your take also...but I would be kinda freaked out. No watching horror flicks in that house! There is something to be said for positive and negative energy in an area or a structure....have you been back in the house? If so, how did it feel to you then? Did you get any 'vibe'? (the vibe can be your own reaction to what you know)

Some historic places give me a 'vibe'....I feel like that scene in the movie Patton, where he relates his reincarnation story. Like you can image the event.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Meh, I'm not bothered in the least bit by that type of thing. Everybody and everything has a past, and its not always flowers and rainbows. A person's past does not necessarily dictate their future, and I think the same holds true for structures.

Somewhat on-topic... I have a friend that actually targets tainted locations as investment properties. So many people are scared off by things like violent crimes occuring prior that he can get great deals on the homes/businesses.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I would find it awesome, being a paranormal investigator. I could have fun with my hobby at home instead of going to other people's places.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Is marrying another Cyburbian in your home considered a tragic event?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Man, you are asking for a butt whipping by your significant other....
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    He is always pushing his luck/limits.
    You would think he knew better but .....
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    One of my houses with a very nice entryhad a full description of a funeral wake that had happened there. That was kind of weird.
    The city destroyed the house that BTK lived in because they didn't want pieces of it sold on ebay. One of the murder scenes has had some issues with house value.
    I honestly have to say I don't know if I could do that or not.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    Don't worry; he'll be very comfortable on the couch tonight....

There is a house in the next county over from where I used to live, in which 7 people were butchered. Some investor bought it from the guy who owned it at the time and can't sell it. It was pretty recent, so the neighbors would tell anyone who came to look at the place, what had happened there. But I guess the further back in time you go, the less chance you'll hear about anything like that. My last house was built in the '50's so it's conceivable that someone may have died there, but neither the realtor or last owner mentioned anything, and I never thought to ask.

I guess kids dying in a fire might put me off, or violent death, but otherwise I don't think I'd be bothered.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I guess kids dying in a fire might put me off, or violent death, but otherwise I don't think I'd be bothered.
    i agree. violent death might bother me too much or i'd start to obsess over it.

then again, give some space and time and i suppose context it might not bother me. victorian house with mysterious deaths from past century might add to the value of the house, in my eyes. 7 people butchered in a new home last week would be too much.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Let's see, my first house used to be a mortuary. For my last apartment (in an older house), a co-worker asked which unit was mine. When I told her, she said "that is probably ok, the murder was in the back unit".
    A friend found the family graveyard for his 1848 home--under a back addition.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    My sister (the doctor) lives in a college suburb in a house purchased from the estate of a professor murdered there by her own son. Sis found this out by googling the former occupant's junk mail. Decided to low-ball the offer. "It's such a good deal!"

The perp was housed in a regional psychiatric forensic facility (a couple counties away) for several years. He has since been released to a half-way house located in the same county as the events.

My teenage nieces have a tendency to leave the doors unlocked, and the basement computer geek is set up with his back to the doorway.

Registered
    May 2005
    The house burning thing doesn't bother me too much. And I think the idea of reinvigorating the space with new life is very poetic indeed. But there was a house for sale down the street from us that was a little suspiciously undervalued, it seemed. Then some friends told it was "the murder house." And a gruesome one at that - stabbings, three dead and bleeding throughout the house. Now, that would freak me out a little, even if the floors were redone...

I guess tragic is not as bothersome as violently fatal for me.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2001

HOMESTEADER FLORIDA (AP) - A man was found floating in his backyard pool late this afternoon after apparently being struck repeatedly with a wine bottle. He was alive, but almost completely incoherent, repeating only the odd phrase "Zee Gee" to police. Authorities have no apparent motive or suspects at this time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I have and it didnt bother me, Actually it is the live people that I should probably worry about

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    HOMESTEADER FLORIDA (AP) - A man was found floating in his backyard pool late this afternoon after apparently being struck repeatedly with a wine bottle. He was alive, but almost completely incoherent, repeating only the odd phrase "Zee Gee" to police. Authorities have no apparent motive or suspects at this time.
    Hey, it's almost 5 o'clock here. Which one of you Cybs from Tallahassee is gonna drive over here and bail me out??

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Let's see, my first house used to be a mortuary
    How'd I forget this one? Two jobs ago, my first office (out of 7 I think) was in a former hospital morgue. When the hospital relocated, the county bought the building as its main administrative office. Lucky I didn't have to be in there very often at night.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Kinda the reverse....a house I rented was afterwards converted into a 'pregnancy counselling center'. My guess is they located there cuz they figured much of their clientele didn't need directions to find them!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No, I lived on the next street over from where and when John List murdered his family (5 people). That was close enough for me.
    Last edited by JNA; 17 Apr 2008 at 11:16 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I think it depends on the type of event and when it happened.

When I was in HS a minister, his wife, and the family cat were chopped up by someone wielding a hatchet in their home around Christmastime. That house was "the murder house" after that. I think if I could imagine people running around, bloodied, being chased by a crazy murderer, that would get to me. It would also depend on how recent it was. 100 years ago might not be as bad as 12 (in that case).

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I donno I guess living along the East coast there is so much history, so many horrid battles, constant news of some old unmarked grave turning up...death is part of the ground here.

I love old homes and I would have to assume folks were born and died in those homes as was the custom, some a more horrible death than others but death is part of life. Truly horrific acts I think it would have to be a while before I could live there.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    After we look at the interior of the house, I think that along with the house inspection, I might call my priest and see if he would do a walk thought and see what his impression of the spiritual feel of the house is.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I was reading this thread and kept thinking of the movie "The World Acoording to Garp" and the scene when Garp's family were looking at a house and a small plane crashed into it. He said something like "We'll buy it, what else could go wrong now"
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I was reading this thread and kept thinking of the movie "The World Acoording to Garp" and the scene when Garp's family were looking at a house and a small plane crashed into it. He said something like "We'll buy it, what else could go wrong now"
    "It's been predisastered".

I think basically no place on earth is completely free of "tragedy". I think the question is really "how far back in time was it and will you know of it?" If some place gave me a bad vibe, I guess I would likely skip it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yes. What is done is done. Get over it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 35
    Last post: 16 Apr 2008, 12:35 PM
  2. How to dress for this event?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 18 Nov 2005, 1:33 PM