Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LEED: Neighborhood Development

Registered
    Apr 2008

LEED: Neighborhood Development

Does anyone know if USGBC will be setting up an exam specifically for certification in LEED ND? The LEED AP tracts are obviously oriented towards A/E/C while the LEED ND is focused more on good community design. I clearly do not want a Mechanical Engineer designing my neighborhood, just like you do not want a planner designing an HVCC system.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    I could be totally wrong here. . .but as far as I know, people get LEED AP, and projects get LEED ND, etc.

I agree though, it makes sense to have a different test for ND vs. the other classifications which are more architecturally based.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by planner? View post
    I could be totally wrong here. . .but as far as I know, people get LEED AP, and projects get LEED ND, etc.

I agree though, it makes sense to have a different test for ND vs. the other classifications which are more architecturally based.
    You're right, no matter which exam you take, you'll be a LEED AP. Most people take the New Construction one, but they offer exams for Existing Buildings, and Core & Shell, I believe. I'm sure there will be an ND one coming soon. I imagine a large portion of the questions from any of the exams are the same.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I actually had the same question about the status of the LEED ND program, so I emailed them. Here's the response:

"The decision on whether or not to create an exam track will not be made until after LEED for Neighborhood Development is launched in 2009. Valid exam questions cannot be developed until the pilot phase is over and all the final LEED Rating System is released.

If an exam track for LEED for Neighborhood Development is developed, we will announce it on our website and in a press release. As LEED for Neighborhood Development is launched, I would encourage you to keep in touch with USGBC for updates on exam tracks and related educational programs."

Hope this helps...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Sep 2009, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Nov 2008, 5:11 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 Nov 2006, 7:33 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Jun 2000, 8:00 PM
  5. Replies: 2