Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking behind front yard setback in non conforming lot

Registered
    Apr 2008

Parking behind front yard setback in non conforming lot

i am a private owner seeking zoning advice. if i'm not supposed to post here, please let me know.

i live in los angeles, in a 1921 4 unit building r2-1xl zone. it is a non conforming lot on a small residential one way street with a prevailing front yard setback 5 feet. my front yard is 13 feet deep, width 50 feet. 5 feet side yard setback. tiny lot, urban neighborhood, street parking is fierce. this is for not required parking.

two years ago, i got a class"a" permit for a curb cut 18 feet wide with side aprons with a note, "per B&S ok to park behind front yard setback, no more than 50% of required front yard is allowed to be paved"

parking area is 8 feet deep from the building and 50 feet wide, curb cut at the center of lot width, basically looks like i'm parallel parking. grasscrete in 50% of the front yard to maneuver. steps to building entrance 4 feet deep.

after two years of having this, there has been some question whether this parking is legal. each time i've gone to the zoning dept, its been a different answer. i've read the zoning codes on-line but do not understand it well.

i've been to zoning twice this week, one said b/c its on a non conforming lot and not required parking, i did not need a permit to create the parking and if i did get a permit, it would then become required parking and would have to meet the currrent building codes ( which it does not meet). i believe this was how i was able to get the curb cut in the first place and create a compact parking space.

the second person said once the parking is created, regardless if it is not required parking, it becomes required parking and i would need to get a parking permit but that it wouldn't be granted b/c my lot is non conforming and doesn't meet code, especially regarding the turning radius.

my car is compact (not micro) and i have no trouble maneuvering safely to park behind the front yard setback and able to fit two compact cars.

can i get some advice? comments?

thanks.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I would love to help you, but the question your asking is not going to get a definitive answer here on Cyburbia.

Your question(s) are about the munitae of a local zoning ordinance of which most (if not all) here can't really comment on in detail.

You need to work with a local land use attorney or a local consultant that may know the local code much better than any of us would.

Good luck, though and welcome to Cyburbia.

EDIT: taking off my professional hat - I would say that if you were issued a permit for the curbcut, drive and parking space(s), then just run with it and let the City try to rectify the issue after the fact.
    Last edited by mendelman; 18 Apr 2008 at 1:43 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The front yard
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 83
    Last post: 01 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Oct 2007, 3:09 PM
  3. Front setback ranges
    Land Use and Zoning