Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Advice on UK planning schools really appreciated

Registered
    Apr 2008

Advice on UK planning schools really appreciated

Hi there, confused Canadian here.... I've checked the RTPI website and all of the affiliated schools and am not sure what the "word of mouth" sort of reputations are for some of these - hard for someone overseas to judge and would appreciate any input someone out there may have !

I'm an Economics graduate and I've become really passionate about Urban (Town)Planning. I've applied to some schools in Canada, but they are very difficult to gain entry into. My sister lives in London, so she is really encouraging me to apply to schools in the city. Do the following schools have good reputations when it comes time to finding a job?

- University of Westminster
    - London South Bank University
    - Anglia Ruskin University
    - Kingston
    - Reading

I know UCL is a good school, but I believe there programs are nearly full (and very competitive).

If anyone has some info about good planning schools, would love to hear from you ! Thanks !

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Hi,

Sheffield also has a good reputation, as does Manchester, where they have just built a new, state-of-the-art facility for their planning school.

University College Dublin in Ireland also offer what is the gold standard planning degree here, loads of policy makers are graduates of it. Although it is not in the UK it does have full accreditation from the RTPI.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Thanks very much, I'll look into those schools also. Would anyone perhaps know of a another good planning school in the London area (besides UCL since they are full) ?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved to the Student Lounge.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Have you looked into LSE?

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I looked at LSE, but since they aren't an accredited school by the RTPI, I thought the program was aimed more at people interested in policy than being practicing planners.... I imagine LSE is also very hard to get into ?!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    I'd agree with you - unfortunately LSE's not accredited and still costs a lot. It makes more sense to try out others that are accredited.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Yes, I'd tend you agree with you as well....

Although I have known people who went to programs which were not accredited and work as planners in London. I am one of those people. However, having said that, I would advise that you choose an accredited program. the RTPI is a real pain in the behind and if you want to work permanently in the UK, I would do that. Unfortunately, besides UCL, I can't think of a nice 'internationally known' program in London.

If you are really keen on the RTPI certification, there is another route now called Associate Membership. If you have two years of planning experience, you qualify for this membership. Work another two years and you get the letters behind the name.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 11:35 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 6:56 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Jul 2008, 11:06 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Jul 2005, 6:45 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Oct 2002, 5:30 PM