Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning masters in Europe: some advice and some questions.

Registered
    Apr 2008

Planning masters in Europe: some advice and some questions.

Hi all,

I only just discovered this board and have been reading with interest, so thanks to all the posters. I have some advice and some questions.

Firstly, advice for anyone who is interested in doing a planning masters in Europe:

UCD (University College Dublin) run an excellent Master of Regional and Urban Planning (or MRUP as it is known). It is a two year course that covers a really broad range of subjects. I am from Dublin myself and have visited the school which has very good facilities with students there spend a lot of time in the studio. I think the application deadline has passed for this year but it is worth keeping an eye on.

Utrecht University in the Netherlands also has an excellent planning masters. The Dutch are world leaders in spatial and environmental planning and this course reflects that, while being taught entirely through English. I studied there for one year of my undergraduate degree through the Erasmus exchange programme between European universities and would strongly reccomend both the city and university to anyone.

The reason I am not applying for these masters is because they are both 2 years long and I want to do a one year one. Unfortunately all planning masters in Ireland are two years long so I want to do a one year one in either the UK or continantal Europe.

Now the questions:

Can anyone reccomend a planning master taught through English in Europe? There is an Urban Studies master at the University of Amsterdam which looks good but is a bit too sociology-based for my liking. I presume there are such courses in Europe havn't been able to find many. I liked the look of one in Barcelona but I don't speak Catalan or Spanish so that is impossible I think

As for UK courses, I echo the good things that have already been said about Sheffield, Manchester and UCL. Does anyone know if the faculties in Cardif and the University of Westminster are highly regarded?

Thanks a million!

Registered
    May 2008
    have you looked at the university of Glasgow's website? i think that their urban planning related masters programs look pretty stellar. I have been thinking about applying there myself for the next academic school year!--- looking at their MSc in City and regional planning
    check it out!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 Jul 2010, 12:05 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Apr 2009, 10:28 PM
  3. Civil engineer looking for masters degree advice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Dec 2007, 5:14 PM
  4. Replies: 10