Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Celebrate Earth Day

Registered
    Aug 2005

Celebrate Earth Day

Happy Earth Day!

What activities are you engaging in today to help further the efforts of protecting this planet we call home? Does your City have an offical celebration?

For me:

I walked to work today, but I hope to make that the norm rather than the exception.

Our City's Earth Day Festival is this weekend. BF and I will attend, I may be volunteering at it as well.

I belive people should try to make everyday earth day but it is good to have a special day to recognize Mother Earth.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Working with the lights off today.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm firing up my gas-guzzling SUV this afternoon and driving 250 miles in it - some of it in stop-and-go traffic - while eating food out of a styrofoam container.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

Earth Day

To celebrate Earth Day, I've been (as I have been doing) trying to drum up support to do a feasibility study for a model sustainable and/or hydrogen and/or ammonia city. See my post under the "Post carbon cities" in the "Environmental Planning" forum at this link. http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32512

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Working with the lights off today.
    Of course, just now when I stated this fact to a coworker, I was met with the third degree and a lot of "well, that should help..." kind of sarcasm.

They also asked "Who the hell turned the heat down so cold?" I guess they found the therostat turned down from 74 to 68... (jeez guys, MY house is at 62 all winter... )

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I bought a Prius. Then I melted it down and used the metal to build a Cat 3208. Then I built a bulldozer around it. Then I knocked down a rain forrest and built a coal fired power plant where the forrest once stood.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Mother Earth's revenge will be taken out on the cynics of this thread first.

Her Campaign has begun....

Registered
    Aug 2005

Zman, i'll buy you an earth-friendly beer when Mother Earth begins her smiting. we can sit back and watch the show.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Zman, i'll buy you an earth-friendly beer when Mother Earth begins her smiting. we can sit back and watch the show.
    You bet. We'll have salad and salsa from my garden.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hey - my answer would have been completely different if the hippies had scheduled Earth Day on another date - not my fault they can't accomodate my schedule.

(my answer on any other day? "Nothing." )
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I work for in the environmental division of our department...so we have a big display for earth day in the lobby of our building..."Celebrate Earth Day Today, Learn How to Honor Earth Day Everyday with County Department of Planning" We have info on watershed planning, aquatic restoration, storm water education, water quality, etc, etc... people can't believe the scope of things we work on.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    May 2005
    The lights are off in the Planning Department here.

I'd be surprised if anyone else in this place even knew it was Earth Day.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I'm firing up my gas-guzzling SUV this afternoon and driving 250 miles in it - some of it in stop-and-go traffic - while eating food out of a styrofoam container.
    Me too!

I will also leave the lights and AC running full blast in the condo, and work on a plan that will clear cut 400 acres for a shopping mall!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Sep 2007

Oh, I'll be waitng.

In other news, I just got back from lunch. I drove my four wheel drive big block Chevy to the restauarnt, and four of my co-workers drove their SUVs, because we have different musical tastes. Anyway, I had the baby seal seared over redwood coals. It was quite tasty, but I couldn't eat all of it. I had a styrofoam to-go container so I can eat some later.

On the way back to the office, I bought a six pack of coda and some not porpoise free tuna. I threw the thingie holding the six pack together in the ocean.

Tonight, I'm gonna change the oil on the truck and pour the oil down the fenceline.

Oh, and I put in a flourescent light.

In related news: http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...43616-sun.html
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Rats - just lost a big post.

anyway - here's a Michael Pollan article about this very topic:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/ma...gewanted=print

honestly though -I'm not doing much different today. My lights are usually off. After homemade dinner tonight, we'll ride our bikes over to the rec center to go swimming, which is also a norm.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Not of word of "Earth Day" here at city hall, not even in the agenda of the CC meeting tonight.

I used to be all about mother earth and all that but some where along the line the whole movement lost me
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Commuted to work by bike and attended a workshop on regional greenhouse gas reduction... w00t!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown View post
    Rats - just lost a big post.

anyway - here's a Michael Pollan article about this very topic:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/ma...gewanted=print
    The article asks Why Bother?

Interesting analysis on a myriad of environmental responsibilty issues, including my own virtue argument. I really like this writer.

Favorite Quote: Cheap energy, which gives us climate change, fosters precisely the mentality that makes dealing with climate change in our own lives seem impossibly difficult. THAT may go in the signature line.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I saved gas (by holding a fart).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I soaked up some solar energy by the pool today and had a few dips in a solar-heated pool.

We'll probably have dinner on the patio by the pool so we don't have to turn on lights in the dining area.

It's 85 d out so I'm drinking chilled white wine so we can keep the temp in the house warmer.

I'm doing all the laundry in the house in one afternoon. Kind of like combining trips in my SUV.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I mowed the lawn with my electic mower thus saving the atmosphere in my neighborhood although I'm not sure what the power company did to generate the electricity to charge my battery or what the Chinese did to the environment to construct the batteries.

I did as little physical activity today as possible to avoid raising my body temperature and thus contributing to global warming.

Flatulence was at normal levels. Sorry, I'm just not as responsible as Planit.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I rode my bike to work today.

I didn't even realize it was Earth Day until my boss said, "Happy Earth Day" in a meeting this morning.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am not going to drink.............well maybe, when is earth day again and is mandatory that you do something?
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has anybody looked at The Lorax Project: http://lorax.conservation.org/

Very Interesting.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    honestly, just about every day is earth day at my house,blah blah blah. But This past weekend we did plant 40 seedlings, 10 white birch, 10 red buds, 10 spice bush and 10 highbush cranberries. The solar dryer has dried several loads of wash already. But yesterday it looked like rain so I used the electric dryer instead ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What anniversaries do you celebrate?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 23 May 2005, 3:17 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 10:17 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Sep 2004, 1:06 AM
  4. How are you going to celebrate...