Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Energy consumption & emissions by land use - Data??

Registered
    Oct 2007

Energy consumption & emissions by land use - Data??

I'm looking for energy and square-footage or land use data that can be used to calculate land use / square footage per capita in the US, and what today's energy "impact" is. Basically I would like to see what would happen if we develop or live in smaller spaces.

Obviously for this calculation I would also need some kind of "average" usage/efficiency number for different building types, and given innovation in energy efficiency, that will change as well.

These calculations have probably all been done before. Could anyone point me to the statistics or agencies that have good data on:
    - building-related energy use
    - land-related energy use (e.g., green space / agricultural losses for development; how that impacts overall picture)
    - projected energy use for different building types for, say, 5 years from now

...Or a similar analysis that has already been done!!

Also interested in energy savings from renovation / infill vs. new construction - how much energy is used in construction (materials + transport) relative to lifetime energy use of the building??

Thanks!
    Moderator note:
    I deleted the similar thread in the Design subforum. Please do not post the same or very similar threads in multiple subforums. If you are not sure where a topic should go, contact one of the forum moderators and we will help you.

Thanks,
    mendelman
    Last edited by mendelman; 23 Apr 2008 at 9:12 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Aug 2010, 2:34 PM
  2. Cheap Beer Consumption (in cans)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 11 Jan 2006, 6:03 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 12:45 PM
  4. Consumption & Consumerizm
    Friday Afternoon Club