Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Florida considers Christian-based license plate design.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Florida considers Christian-based license plate design.

"I Believe" License Plate

Florida is considering a Christian Based license plate. Do you think this will open a can of worms? Does this fall under the church and state stuff? Will other groups want one now?

The problem with the state manufacturing the plate is that it "sends a message that Florida is essentially a Christian state" and, second, gives the "appearance that the state is endorsing a particular religious preference," said Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida.
    Simon, of the ACLU, said approval of the plate could prompt many other groups to seek their own designs, and they could claim discrimination if their plans were rejected. That could even allow the Ku Klux Klan to get a plate, Simon said.

Bullard, the plate's sponsor, isn't sure all groups should be able to express their preference. If atheists came up with an "I Don't Believe" plate, for example, he would probably oppose it

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There's no freakin' way the government should be sanctioning that kind of thing unless they also offer plates saying: "I don't believe" or "The Evidence is Inconclusive" or a "I believe" with images depicting a: Star of David, Islamic crescent, Yin and Yang, swastika, Robert Dobbs, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Odin, Zeus, Ganesh, hammer & sickle, peace sign, or any other icon you think of.

It never ceases to amaze the lengths some folks will go to try to use/co-opt government to subject/inflict/impose their beliefs on others.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here in Indiana we have a "In God We Trust" plate, which has stirred things up.

Headline: Judge throws out ‘In God' tags suit Lack of fee challenged; appeal likely
    http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/p...327/1002/LOCAL

I don't have one, I pay the extra for "Hoosier Safety" plate.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    There's no freakin' way the government should be sanctioning that kind of thing unless they also offer plates saying: "I don't believe" or "The Evidence is Inconclusive" or a "I believe" with images depicting a: Star of David, Islamic crescent, Yin and Yang, swastika, Robert Dobbs, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Odin, Zeus, Ganesh, hammer & sickle, peace sign, or any other icon you think of.

It never ceases to amaze the lengths some folks will go to try to use/co-opt government to subject/inflict/impose their beliefs on others.
    Well, on the flipside, they have teachers' plates but I don't think they have planners' plates. Somebody's gonna wind up screwed. It all goes by whatever there's the most popular demand for.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here's a link to the insanely long list of specialty plates that are already out there in FL:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

I figure, if sports fanatics and drive around with their religion (their team) on their plate, why not Christians, too?

As for FL looking like it's a Christian state, the existing list already makes us look like we're all environmentalist college graduates who care only about our kids and watching sports.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    In this area, half the people are driving with stolen tags. If there was a way to make my tag so offensive that no one would steal it but not make myself a target of road rage, I'd do it.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Doesn't bother me... wouldn't offend me. Assuming, of course, it isn't costing the general public money. That would be an issue. But if it's like most states, you pay extra, so it pays for itself, or makes money.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    It all goes by whatever there's the most popular demand for.
    The reality is states do this sort of thing as a means of producing revenue. For the sake of discussion, why NOT lift the proverbial floodgates and open the field by offering any sort of plate to anyone who'll pay for the privelege? Sort of an ultimate state-sponsored vanity plate free-for-all......Coke and Pepsi plates? Home Depot Plates? McDonalds plates? My ta-tas are bigger than yours plates? Jimmy Johnson RULEZ & AlGore DROOLZ plates?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    The cost in legal fees will wipe out any money that will be made from their sales. Thats funny!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2002

plates

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I want a cannabis leaf for Rastafarians, a peyote button for some Native Americans. See how far they get. Now, what was I talking about?
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'm somewhat surprised that this came out of Florida rather than one of my home states of Oklahoma and Texas, or somewhere like Georgia.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I'm somewhat surprised that this came out of Florida rather than one of my home states of Oklahoma and Texas, or somewhere like Georgia.
    Err, um...huh?

Georgia from Macon south and Florida from Orlando north are fairly similar, for what it's worth.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Err, um...huh?

Georgia from Macon south and Florida from Orlando north are fairly similar, for what it's worth.
    Indeed. I guess in my mind I picture South Florida and the Tampa Bay area drastically different from the Atlanta area, as far as large metro regions go. No doubt such a license plate idea could spring up anywhere in the South.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    South Carolina has an "In God We Trust" plate that has the SC and US flags on it. I think because it is stamped on the currency (and given it's religious leanings) it didn't catch too much flak. I think the FL plate goes a little too far and pretty much agree that no religious iconography should appear on a government issued anything. Why do we have to have so many different plates anyways? I can only imagine what a headache it causes for law enforcement.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Here in Indiana we have a "In God We Trust" plate, which has stirred things up.

Headline: Judge throws out ‘In God' tags suit Lack of fee challenged; appeal likely
    http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/p...327/1002/LOCAL

I don't have one, I pay the extra for "Hoosier Safety" plate.
    I am not sure how the State can get away not charging extra for the 'In God' plates? The BMV just released that the 'In God' plates were the most popular specialty plates in Indiana, well of course they are if they are the same price. Wonder how popular they would be if they cost more like the other specialty plates? By the way the state is also issuing 'Lincoln's Boyhood Home' plates for the same price, and I think they should be charged more as well.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    In Secular Humanism We Trust

I'll contact the State of Colorado about this one soon!

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Hey, while our wise gov't was at it they banned those fake testicles that you hang from the back of a truck....

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr...y-testi/?imw=Y

The State of Florida, after living on the real estate boom, now finds itself in the middle of a crisis...what does it do? Argue over christian lic plates and banning fake testicales....yeah, I am one proud Floridian.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Texas has had "God Bless Texas" plates for a few years. They don't have a big glowing cross, Virgin de Guadalupe, or anything like that though. I don't see them very often--the Keep Texas Wild plates are far more popular.

If they really wanted to make money, you would be able to put your own picture on your license plate like you can for some credit cards. Why no state has thought of this is beyond me.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    Hey, while our wise gov't was at it they banned those fake testicles that you hang from the back of a truck....

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr...y-testi/?imw=Y

The State of Florida, after living on the real estate boom, now finds itself in the middle of a crisis...what does it do? Argue over christian lic plates and banning fake testicales....yeah, I am one proud Floridian.
    Those things are so disgusting! You should get castrated for having them lol.
    Sidenote: Some guy came into the office yesterday wearing a hat that said: " I love hookers".
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our lawmakers are just not the brightest bulbs. They are just getting around to banning bestiality:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/fea...o-ban-sex.html

I'm just going to assume that FL is the last state to do this.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Doesn't bother me... wouldn't offend me. Assuming, of course, it isn't costing the general public money. That would be an issue. But if it's like most states, you pay extra, so it pays for itself, or makes money.
    Let's say a Muslim group requests permission for a special license plate ... and they're voted down in a House committee. What then?

If, by some miracle (!), the plate actually makes it to production, I'll bet people buy it, and cover up the cross with images of the Buddha, aliens, Flying Spaghetti Monsters, bongs ... you get the idea.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Let's say a Muslim group requests permission for a special license plate ... and they're voted down in a House committee. What then?

If, by some miracle (!), the plate actually makes it to production, I'll bet people buy it, and cover up the cross with images of the Buddha, aliens, Flying Spaghetti Monsters, bongs ... you get the idea.
    In the first instance, I think that would be highly hypocritical, so it would annoy me.

In the second, people already do that... Go to Arkansas and see how many little Hog stickers are on plates. Again, if it doesn't cause problems, I couldn't care less.

I kind of like how it is in Oregon. The money collected for several of the special plates that anyone can buy (Crater Lake / Salmon / Cultural / Non-Profits) actually go to support the special interest. A lot of you would like the "Share the Road" plate that supports Cycle Oregon and the Bicycle Transportation Alliance.

M
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    I kind of like how it is in Oregon. The money collected for several of the special plates that anyone can buy (Crater Lake / Salmon / Cultural / Non-Profits) actually go to support the special interest. A lot of you would like the "Share the Road" plate that supports Cycle Oregon and the Bicycle Transportation Alliance.
    Yeah, Colorado has a lot of special interest plates. All of the proceeds go to the very special interests that the plates advertise. Even the Denver Broncos plates, their extra fees go to Broncos Charities. We too have a "Share the Road" plate now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Does anyone else here smell a PHOTOSHOP CONTEST?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    there should be no specialty plates at all, of any nature.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh unusual license plate thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 8:53 AM
  2. House Hunting Based on Design/Layout
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 06 Apr 2009, 9:41 PM
  3. Replies: 4