Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: When is a good time to jump ship?

Registered
    Sep 2006

When is a good time to jump ship?

So I managed to secure an associate planning position back in November 1997 down in California (regularly from Washington State). I experienced a lot of hardship in applying to get this job applying up and down the west coast. I've found I'm not so keen on Southern California and recent family health problems have made me consider moving back to Northern Oregon or Western Washington to be closer to family.

I have actually gained more experience than I would have expected for my first formal planning job as many of our senior positions were vacated as I arrived. I'm wondering when is a safe time to start applying again. I know many places sort of look for that 1 year, you pretty much served your time point, but would I be doing a disservice to myself if I started applying now at 6 months? I figure whatever might bite with an interview won't hurt but should I expect anything if I fit the criteria of the job application? Are people paranoid of fast movers? Am I just getting a head start since government moves so slow to hire anyways? :p

Thanks for your honesty.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Xenobion View post
    So I managed to secure an associate planning position back in November 1997 down in California (regularly from Washington State). I experienced a lot of hardship in applying to get this job applying up and down the west coast. I've found I'm not so keen on Southern California and recent family health problems have made me consider moving back to Northern Oregon or Western Washington to be closer to family. ....
    Should be November 2007, yes?

Sounds like you have a legitimate reason to relocate back, and there's enough contrast between the areas that you needn't go much deeper than the D word (Disneyland).

Applicants come from all over, and I've known folks who leave a long-time muni job, change their minds, and return. Start looking, and you can line up interviews to coincide with your 6-month probation vacation.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Now is as good a time as any. Your justification is honest and legitimate and would come across that way to any reasonable future employer.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    that's a legit reason. you're good.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    My first job was for two years, although I wish I had left at one. Pretty much since then, I have had a new job every six months to one year (I'm on my 6th job in about 4.5 years). I've never had a problem getting any position I was interested in, and I was also trying to move home, from AZ to AK.

I agree with the other posts, you're honesty will give you credibility and respect. It also sounds like you have a lot to offer from the experience you've acquired. Good luck!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by amyk View post
    My first job was for two years, although I wish I had left at one. Pretty much since then, I have had a new job every six months to one year (I'm on my 6th job in about 4.5 years). I've never had a problem getting any position I was interested in, and I was also trying to move home, from AZ to AK.

I agree with the other posts, you're honesty will give you credibility and respect. It also sounds like you have a lot to offer from the experience you've acquired. Good luck!
    I think Xenobion is OK, as others have stated. I would look carefully at amyk since a pattern of what I would call driftiness in some cases would make me leery. I don't know amyk's circumstances so I can't comment on them, but I don't want to put time and effort into training someone who is going to be gone in 6 months. I have rejected applicants with employment patterns such as amyk describes. On the other hand I hired one, too, but in that case I knew his former supervisor and she reassured me.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Thank you all so much. Yes I meant Nov. 2007, my bad I wrote that pretty late :p I think if I happen to get an interview, I should be very honest about why I am moving. I'm not looking to move frequently around, I just took the first job that came to me and now because of the circumstances of being away from home and family concerns. Good to know that if the shoe doesn't fit I can ask for another shoe to try on.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Mar 2013, 11:43 AM
  2. Put-In-Bay, Gonna Have A Good Time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 29 Aug 2011, 8:25 AM
  3. Time to make the jump (Car Advise)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 21 Sep 2010, 8:11 AM