Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NY Main Street conference

Registered
    Jun 2005

NY Main Street conference

Did any of my fellow NY State Cyburbians make it to the Main Street conference in Hyde Park yesterday? I met numerous planners but neglected to ask any of them if they're members here. We need a secret handshake so you know who is "in the know" with this place.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I love it! Yes, we need a Secret Cyburbia Handshake. I've long been jealous of Masons - why should they have all the fun. Perhaps we can introduce the new Secret Handshake/Greeting at Stanfest IV:Chicago?

How about:

Party A extends hand as if to shake and then retracts at the last second saying "Art thou a Friend who lives in the shadow of the Clube?"

Party B replies "I would belong to the Clube but for the fact I RJ too much."

Party A completes the exchange by saying "Stan, can it be you?"

Then both parties with the gravest dignity possible make finger 'antennae' behind their heads and turn around three times. At this point one should be able to ascertain whether one is dealing with a true Cyburbian or whether one is dealing an imposter attempting to infiltrate our ranks.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Then both parties with the gravest dignity possible make finger 'antennae' behind their heads and turn around three times. At this point one should be able to ascertain whether one is dealing with a true Cyburbian or whether one is dealing an imposter attempting to infiltrate our ranks.
    This should then be followed by presentation of crossed index fingers to indicate the august presence of a "Cyburbian Plus" or alternatively, "Get thee away from me, Accursed One!".
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Off-topic:

Post of the week!

Many of us have long suspected that a planner writes for The Onion.

I am now convinced that it's Stan - I mean Maister. No one will any longer convince me otherwise.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I love it! Yes, we need a Secret Cyburbia Handshake. I've long been jealous of Masons - why should they have all the fun. Perhaps we can introduce the new Secret Handshake/Greeting at Stanfest IV:Chicago?

How about:

Party A extends hand as if to shake and then retracts at the last second saying "Art thou a Friend who lives in the shadow of the Clube?"

Party B replies "I would belong to the Clube but for the fact I RJ too much."

Party A completes the exchange by saying "Stan, can it be you?"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Nov 2010, 7:39 PM
  2. National Main Street Conference
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Nov 2008, 12:46 PM
  3. One-business Main Street
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Oct 2008, 11:23 AM