Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Has anyone heard of the University of Minnesota? (MURP, MLA)

Registered
    Mar 2008

Has anyone heard of the University of Minnesota? (MURP, MLA)

Is it really that obscure? I've mined these boards and it seems that the school is never mentioned for either MURP or MLA. Does anyone have an opinion on either program or am I wasting my time even considering it because any employer outside of minneapolis will be clueless?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    I was aware they had a MLA program, but have heard nothing about it, and have never met a grad. I know even less about the MURP program...

I just took a brief look at their MLA - it looks interesting. They don't have a BLA, but funnel their undergrads through a Bach. of Environ. Design plus the MLA for a professional degree. That seems like a decent system, but it may be odd for an older student - most of the MLA students might be a bit younger, going straight from their Back. to a MLA.

The lack of a national reputation isn't a deal-killer, espec. if you want to stay in the area for your first job. The local's will know about the program, and after that you get jobs based on your portfolio anyway.

Go check it out, and let us know what you think. I'd like to hear more about the program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    There are alot of good MLA schools that never come up on these boards.

Just because it isn't discussed in a forum (a forum for *planning* btw) don't count it out. Cyburbia's great, but as much as it might not care to admit it, it's not all-knowing. I might have ended up there if UIUC didn't tie things off for me in a nice neat little package.

One of Minnesotas students pulled in one of the top annual ASLA awards last year http://asla.org/awards/2007/studentawards/.

Registered
    Mar 2008

I've heard of Minnesota!

I've also been scavenging everywhere for opinions on Minnesota's MURP program. I've been admitted to the dual MSCE/MURP program and am trying to decide between there and Harvard, MIT, or NYU. I'm from Minneapolis and Minnesota gave me the best financial aid offer of any of these schools, but beyond that, I'm seriously considering it as a very viable program. An NYU professor even told me that "if you would like to work in Minnesota, going out East isn't going to give you any sizeable advantage - Minnesota I believe has a good reputation." Incidentally, Minneapolis/St. Paul would be a very unique place to study planning - there's a regional (and very influential) Metropolitan Council that serves two very distinct metro areas that function very differently. Seems to me it is as good as any of my other options as far as transportation, especially... The Humphrey School is top twenty in most of the policy areas, also. I'm interested in any other things you have heard or discovered. I still am undecided....

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I am in the same boat. I am trying to decide between UMinn and UMich and am just having the hardest time because there seems to be so little about the University of Minnesota's MURP.

But, I am from the area and know stuff that way... but still.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Who accepted to Minn? I did!

Registered
    Apr 2008
    me too. into MURP

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 9:29 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 4:40 AM