Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban land use law?

Registered
    May 2008

Urban land use law?

... or something of the sort.
    Recently I have been chit chatting with some folks about going to law school, instead of pursuing what would have been a masters in urban planning.
    Does anyone know of any particular law schools that have a focus on urban land use- planning- or even transportation?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Several schools, I'm sure, offer dual degrees (JD + MUP) if you want to actually practice law. Off the top of my head, I know that Rutgers does. I'm sure other Cyburbians can shed more light on the situation.

If you want to practice planning but focus more on policy issues or land use law, look at planning programs that are in the same college or division as public administration or public policy programs instead of architecture programs, because programs in architecture schools generally tend to be more design-focused. Some schools, again off the top of my head, that have a policy-oriented planning program include U of Kansas, again Rutgers, U of Texas-Arlington, Columbia, etc.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    University of Florida for land use law. Here's the link

http://www.law.ufl.edu/elulp/index.htm

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wrenay View post
    Recently I have been chit chatting with some folks about going to law school, instead of pursuing what would have been a masters in urban planning.
    Does anyone know of any particular law schools that have a focus on urban land use- planning- or even transportation?
    Almost any law school will have some expertise in land use. Be wary of land use law there are several different aspects to this and you will have to be well rounded in all.
    For example land use law does pertain to imminent domain, rezoning etc which you are probably interested in
    but also you will need to be familiar with Mineral mining rights, permanent easements, dead covenants, federal land restrictions etc

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    University of Florida for land use law. Here's the link

http://www.law.ufl.edu/elulp/index.htm
    UF also has the joint JD-MAURP...friend of mine graduated from it last year
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2007
    University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill has a longstanding joint degree program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wrenay View post
    Might want to check out Cleveland State as well
    They have a very good school of Urban Affairs and Good Law School
    Joint Programs are offered as well

Registered
    Apr 2008

Before going to law school . . .

Law school is a very difficult experience. Dante could have included it between Il Inferno and Il Purgatorio. A large part of what kept me in law school was the high degree of cohesion, solidarity, and friendship between professors, staff, and students in my law school, so I would rank that high on your list when choosing a school. Be prepared to have your life on the sidelines for three years, but at the same time, don't take grades too seriously. Legal studies can have the unfortunate effect of drying up your soul if you don't make a conscious effort to fill up on beauty and goodness whenever you can.

At Liberty University School of Law, my alma mater, we had a required two semesters of Property Law. Our electives pertaining to urban law were Land Use, Commercial Real Estate Development, Environmental Law, and State and Local Government. They may have added pertinent classes since then.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Feb 2013, 6:05 AM
  2. Land use lawyer or urban planner
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2009, 8:52 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Dec 2008, 5:41 AM
  4. Redeveloping urban housing authority land
    Economic and Community Development