Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Last minute decision

Registered
    Sep 2007

Last minute decision

U of British Columbia or USC.

I've gone through it a million times in my head. I just can't decide. Financially the same.

I'd just like to hear people's opinions. I know it depends on what I'm interested in and where I'd like to end up, all the same I'd just like to hear what everyone thinks.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I don't know much about UBC, but I'd say USC is a pretty damn good choice. It's where I would go if it weren't so expensive. Living in LA and being able to watch USC basketball is enough for me , let alone the faculty.

im deciding between Columbia Univ and USC.

I love California but Columbia IS a better school, so I can't decide either.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I was just in a similar situation, and here's what I did....I call it:

Signature's Method of Picking a Progam

1) If you can visit both schools, do so. Otherwise, do your best research to figure out where the graduates end up and what the emphasis or strength of the programs are.

2) Then, once you are thoroughly (or reasonably) familiar with the programs, draw up a list with School A in one column, School B in the other. Put in the associated words under each school. Factor in money and/or prestige (that's a personal value, but also important to those going on to PhDs).

3) Now ask yourself where you excel, where you belong, where you can contribute the most, what you're most passionate about, what your background is most applicable to.

4) Remember that in real world planning, your professional reputation in the field stands the test of time, not your school's name.

Good luck!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Signature View post
    I was just in a similar situation, and here's what I did....I call it:

Signature's Method of Picking a Progam

1) If you can visit both schools, do so. Otherwise, do your best research to figure out where the graduates end up and what the emphasis or strength of the programs are.

2) Then, once you are thoroughly (or reasonably) familiar with the programs, draw up a list with School A in one column, School B in the other. Put in the associated words under each school. Factor in money and/or prestige (that's a personal value, but also important to those going on to PhDs).

3) Now ask yourself where you excel, where you belong, where you can contribute the most, what you're most passionate about, what your background is most applicable to.

4) Remember that in real world planning, your professional reputation in the field stands the test of time, not your school's name.

Good luck!!
    Totally disagree with signature's method.

1. Don't ever apply to grad school on the fly, even if your financial situation makes it difficult to do otherwise.
    2. Visit the schools. Don't apply to schools you don't see in person. A website is not going to give you enough an idea, and they might embellish their accomplishments.
    3. Talk with the faculty and the students. Find alumni from the program and see what they are doing.
    4. Prestige is only important if you want to teach planning. Otherwise, go to school that will give you the right skills to well as a planner. I think that's more important than any debt load you carry.
    5. Your contributions from your past degree are important (that is what is going to separate you from the other applicants), but alot of people go into planning from a completely unrelated background. Alot of people are still going to have to start at the bottom, which is why I stress going to school where you pick up the most skills (see number 4 above).
    6. "Associated words"? Not sure I could label a whole graduate program by just some ten cent words, and even if I could, is that enough? This is your education, it should be filled with good and bad impressions, not just words.
    Last edited by nrschmid; 03 May 2008 at 10:07 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2007

Same answer, different words

NRSCHMID, respectfully, I don't think your method is really that different from what I said.

1. This person has been ACCEPTED to both already, I assumed. That happend to me, too. That's why I responded to this post to begin with. As for your points 2,3,and 4, I gave the same advice. Different words, but same meaning. I came at 5. from another angle, basically trying to make the student a winner once they hit the real world. Building on your existing foundation sets you up for higher rates of succcess. 6. I strongly disagree. Making a decision based on discrete, concrete, and rational judgments (which manifest as accurate labeling) is a great approach. Impressions are important, but you need to be able to walk away with something substantial.

But we're all entitled to our own viewpoints.

Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Totally disagree with signature's method.

1. Don't ever apply to grad school on the fly, even if your financial situation makes it difficult to do otherwise.
    2. Visit the schools. Don't apply to schools you don't see in person. A website is not going to give you enough an idea, and they might embellish their accomplishments.
    3. Talk with the faculty and the students. Find alumni from the program and see what they are doing.
    4. Prestige is only important if you want to teach planning. Otherwise, go to school that will give you the right skills to well as a planner. I think that's more important than any debt load you carry.
    5. Your contributions from your past degree are important (that is what is going to separate you from the other applicants), but alot of people go into planning from a completely unrelated background. Alot of people are still going to have to start at the bottom, which is why I stress going to school where you pick up the most skills (see number 4 above).
    6. "Associated words"? Not sure I could label a whole graduate program by just some ten cent words, and even if I could, is that enough? This is your education, it should be filled with good and bad impressions, not just words.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. There's a sucker born every minute
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Jul 2012, 9:31 AM
  2. Got any last minute plans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 May 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Last Minute Trade!
    Fantasy Football