Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interview advice

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007

Interview advice

First off, hello, i'm new to the forum. I'm going into my first interview for a development tech position in a small municipality and was wondering if there were any advice you could offer. What kinds of questions should I be prepared for? How show I present myself? The interview will be conducted by a panel.

Sorry if my question is redundant but I wasn't able to use the search function.

Registered
    May 2002
    At the end of most interviews I've had, they've concluded with, "Do you have any questions of us?" Make sure that you have a couple, the more specific about the agency and its workings the better.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    to piggyback on the previous poster, do a little research into the municipality and department you're interviewing with. during the question part ask something like, "i was reading your comp plan and was interested in ......" it shows them that you are interested enough in the position to do some research about it.

standard interview advice, remember to make eye contact with each panel member.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    At the end of most interviews I've had, they've concluded with, "Do you have any questions of us?" Make sure that you have a couple, the more specific about the agency and its workings the better.
    A good one is "What are you looking for in this position?" It gives you something to react to plus it is another way of selling yourself by showing how you meet their qualification.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    If it is a tech position, you should brush up on your abilities to answer these questions, since you more than likely will be working counter the whole day:

Abilities in GIS
    Basic understanding of CEQA
    Land Use and Zoning regs
    Understanding of APNs
    Familiarity with the fee schedule
    Familiarity with Subdivision map act

These tools would greatly enhance your ability to get a job as planning tech. Remember, the planning techs are the front line in grueling counter work. You don't necessarily have to know CEQA or the subdivision map act, but it would make you shine if you did know some of the basics. Also, even better if you can familiarize yourself with the municipalities fees and ask a question regarding that. Shows that you care. Good Luck!
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When the inevitable question comes up...

"What is your weak point?"

Don't answer:

"I'm always late for everything. Just like today, when I was 15-minutes late for this interview."

Yes, an actual response to an interview question.
    Not a good thing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    When they ask you if you have any questions, I usually ask them point blank what they think I am lacking in. It throws them off guard but you will hopefully find out more about their thoughts (nodding and smiling by the interviewers can send mixed messages). Asking this question also shows that you are responsive to their needs, reinforces earlier weak talking points, and can ultimately separate you from the rest of the pack. I have used it in a couple of interviews and it really helped me out.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Many government organizations like to ask questions related to:

your ability to get along with others
    how would you react to a rude customer
    what would you do if you felt your boss was unethical

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Bumping one of these general interview threads

A recommendation from ol' RJ: if you can't make an interview, please call in advance. It's only common courtesy. I had things to do today other than waiting around for you. On the other hand, I understand if an emergency arose prohibiting you from being here. Please, call at the first possible opportunity.

BTW, I left a voice mail for the candidate.....we shall see.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Assistant planner interview advice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Feb 2013, 8:13 PM
  2. Interview with NAIP: advice??
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Nov 2010, 4:29 PM
  3. Interview advice please!