Communities profiled:
    Palm Springs, CA
    Eugene, OR
    Mobile, AL
    Chattanooga, TN
    Easthampton, MA.
    Annapolis, MD

Does your fair community allow them ?
    or be limited to what Palm Spring, CA allows - the name of the business and the word "open."

I agree with Palm Spring, CA not allowing lights on them.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We allow one per lot, up to 12 square feet in size, but it counts against the square footage allowed for both attached and free-standing signs. They have to be on private property (not on the sidewalk). Illumination has never come up.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The City of Buffalo sign code allows old-school portable signs -- 32 square feet, complete with the blinking arrow -- to be displayed in the public right-of-way, on a sidewalk, with no regards as to blocking pedestrian routes.

I do NOT recommend this for any city. I think only Buffalo is so stupid as to allow something like this.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They're prohibited in my jurisdiction with one exception: if located on the beach advertising goods and services offered there (para-sailing, wave-runners, etc.)
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If they are well done and properly located, I think they can add character to the streetscape. Go one step further and place merchandise out on the sidewalk. Many communities allow them in their downtown districts. Some also allow them in strip mall settings, but require them to be placed within a certain distance of the store entrance. This prevents a sign going up on the terrace in front of the parking lot in front of the store.

The City of Madison went through this issue some years back, where a hemp store in the downtown put out a sign. This triggered a battle between the store, which sought to get the signs allowed, and the city attorney/code enforcement, who did not have the brains to look around and realize that no harm was being done. A change of mayors resolved the issue in favor of the business.

Boulder, Colorado is another place that prohibits them. The claim is that the wind may knock over a sign and kill somebody. I never understood how every other community in the area could allow them if that was a legitimate concern. For that matter, why not require them to be weighted or anchored as a solution. Unfortunately, Boulder does not have anybody with the common sense it takes to resolve the issue.

You've gotta love the liberal, anti-change, self-aggrandizing "planning meccas." They do entertain.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I agree that if they're done right, they can add a lot to the character of a streetscape. Several downtown Appleton bars and restaurants set smallish chalkboard ones out in front of their doors every day and I see no problems at all with them. In fact I, as a potential customer, find them to be very handy and visually attractive as I am looking for a place for some food/adult beverage.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I love sandwhich board signs (when done appropriately). They seem to add a great deal of pedestrian scale to an area.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Our town strictly forbids them. We even forbid "Open" flags. Needless to say local small business owners often think we are jerks.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We allow them with no size restrictions in commercial zones, but the code says they cannot impede pedestrians. No portable signs of any kind are allowed in residential zones.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Not trying to steal thread....

While we are seeing some use of the more old fashioned two sided sandwhich board sign...we are being overwhelmed by the plastic, wired-stand, style signs--usually 1x1 or 2x2 everywhere in our community.

Used to be just real estate, but businesses are putting them up, multiples at times, all over town.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u View post
    Not trying to steal thread....

While we are seeing some use of the more old fashioned two sided sandwhich board sign...we are being overwhelmed by the plastic, wired-stand, style signs--usually 1x1 or 2x2 everywhere in our community.

Used to be just real estate, but businesses are putting them up, multiples at times, all over town.
    Many ordinances distinguish between these and sandwich boards or menu boards. But I agree these are awful. I have to fight the urge to rip it out of the ground every time I see one (usually posted illegally).
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    I have to fight the urge to rip it out of the ground every time I see one (usually posted illegally).
    Don't fight the urge.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 30 Aug 2011, 1:18 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Jun 2009, 2:44 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jan 2008, 11:19 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jun 2007, 2:20 PM
  5. Signs / billboards Downtown sandwich board signs