Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Big-time real estate development jobs

Registered
    Oct 2007

Big-time real estate development jobs

Is an MUP is the path taken by most professionals who end up in project management jobs at the real big-time development firms? I'm talking about places like Brookfield, Extell, Silverstein, Cush & Wake to name a few.

These are the companies that are bidding on future projects with the help of architects, finance guys, other consultants. I imagine an MUP might be helpful for someone who wants to "build big things", as it were. Are these firms technically in the business of "planning?" For example, take the bidding that went on to develop the Hudson Rail Yards in NYC...

I do realize that I'm talking about a dream job for most people on here! Much appreciated.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

I wouldnt say so

Quote Originally posted by Sobieski View post
    Is an MUP is the path taken by most professionals who end up in project management jobs at the real big-time development firms? I'm talking about places like Brookfield, Extell, Silverstein, Cush & Wake to name a few.

These are the companies that are bidding on future projects with the help of architects, finance guys, other consultants. I imagine an MUP might be helpful for someone who wants to "build big things", as it were. Are these firms technically in the business of "planning?" For example, take the bidding that went on to develop the Hudson Rail Yards in NYC...

I do realize that I'm talking about a dream job for most people on here! Much appreciated.
    I wouldnt say so.. Most big time real estate professional jobs come from financial degrees.. Many schools are offering real estate degrees now to.. CLEMSON has a very highly thought of program with a strong planning focus if you would like a mix of planning and real estate
    With that said that doesnt mean you cannot get into big time real estate with a MUP but if you are still in school try to minor in finance or take some electives in accounting, economics and finance

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Sobieski View post

Hi Sobieski,

For more information, go to the forum in Student Lounge on Graduate Real Estate Development Courses. I think you will find your answer there.

hl248

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd agree with wv06. The important thing for the developers is to have a strong pro forma. They hire architects to design their buildings, and companies like the one where I work to design the site.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2007
    Thanks - I'm glad we have some real pros on this board who take time to help a guy out. I'm starting to look into some RE Development education.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I agree with the rest. Most large firms hire MBA's and they hire from top rated schools and those at the top of there classes. They pay well so the can be picky.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I have a different take. Yes, no doubt that mastering real estate finance is critical to upper level management jobs in the real estate Industry. But you have to know a little about everything in this world, and you are expected to. I did a mid level project manager stint at two large (billion dollar portfolio) real estate co's.

Those who succeed in that business are first good managers--everything else is second.

You have to have a understanding of the engineer and how that's diffeent than the architect--but boy its fun when you put them in the same room. You have to be a good judge of people as you have to be able to coerce and project super and then in the next minute lunch with the Mayor.

So I dont't think there is a gto to career track for your dream job.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Getting a job in real estate development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 2:38 PM
  2. Breaking into real estate development
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Nov 2010, 4:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 5:16 PM