Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The unemployed planner support thread

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    A year has now come and gone.... never thought it would be this long, 3 months maybe, then 3 months past, maybe by spring, nothing. Currently faced with minimal options and many places that are slow to hire and call back getting a PhD is looking more and more appealing... *sigh* only if I knew this last year.
    From my network of planner friends, this has been a tough recession for public and private sector planners. It is not "you" or a lack of skill sets. I was there in late 08-early 09. Cross training into other areas may not be bad until things pick up. Your state may even pay for it.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I finally have a job. 14 long months later. It requires my family relocating, but in this economy I can't be choosey. I'll be working as a land planner and government liaison with a private environmental planning firm working with Marine Corp bases. It's something new and I'm so ready to get back to work. I look forward to meeting my future fellow NCAPA Region 6 members soon.

So, now that I'm employed I want to share with you some of my resources and links I've used along the way. You probably know most of them, but on my blog, www.pioneerplanning.com , you can find the whole list. Feel free to use them and if you have luck with them let me know.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I finally have a job. .. relocating... share with you some of my resources and links I've used along the way. ....
    Hope it's not to Homer AK or some suburban ring drive-o-mania sprawlville edition of Hades. Thanks for the links!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I finally have a job. 14 long months later. It requires my family relocating, but in this economy I can't be choosey. I'll be working as a land planner and government liaison with a private environmental planning firm working with Marine Corp bases. It's something new and I'm so ready to get back to work. I look forward to meeting my future fellow NCAPA Region 6 members soon.

So, now that I'm employed I want to share with you some of my resources and links I've used along the way. You probably know most of them, but on my blog, www.pioneerplanning.com , you can find the whole list. Feel free to use them and if you have luck with them let me know.
    Congrats on the new gig!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2007

Congrats from Section 4! Next NC-APA conference we'll have to have a laefest! I'm sure the other NC Cyburbians will join us! Great news
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Congrats Tide! Thanks for the heads up. This really helps us planners seeking the next steps or those who are still looking. Good luck!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congrats, Tide!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congrats from another ExPat Jersey Boy.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Congratulations Tide, and good luck with the new endeavour. Hope the relocation goes smoothly for you and your family.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Roll, Tide!

The blog is interesting. Looks like a good way to 1) keep active 2) market yourself 3) make yourself more googleable 4) establish a nascent entrepreneurship. Nice work. (I'd have added a land use component to the state fair pics, but that's me.)

Please share some magic pixie dust, too.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Congrats on the new job! Hopefully the move will go smoothly for you and the family!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Great news, Tide! Best of luck to you. -:clink:-

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Good to have you back on the side of the employed, Tide!
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Congrats Tide!

As somebody who served 6-years in the Marine Corps, most of it at Camp Lejeune, I can say that planning with them should be a blast!

Seriously though, I always thought working at one of the bases in facilities,planning, or environmental, etc. would be pretty interesting... Now if only I could convince the wife to move to NC!

Good luck!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Congrats Tide
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats from a former NC planner
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Good luck on your new job.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a non-planning interview later this week. After the phone conversation, it sounds very promising. I already have my eye on this great pet-friendly downtown loft, right on the bus line to the office, 1 block from the entertainment and arts district, and close to the lakefront. Sweetness. Cross your fingers for me.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Congrats Tide. Thats wonderful news
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    I have a non-planning interview later this week. After the phone conversation, it sounds very promising. I already have my eye on this great pet-friendly downtown loft, right on the bus line to the office, 1 block from the entertainment and arts district, and close to the lakefront. Sweetness. Cross your fingers for me.
    A non-planning option, eh? Sounds intriguing. Care to share? or do you need to keep it on the down low? As one also working on the periphery of planning, I'm always curious to hear where others have taken it.

I'm all for the downtown living - efficiencies of time and money can't be understated. We don't live in a loft, but we moved downtown (such as it is) three years ago and its had a VERY dramatic impact on our life. For the better. Two blocks to work and the kids' school. Similarly sweet (for a 41 year old guy married with children - "excitement" has taken on a new meaning these days). But I did get to go see Dweezil Zappa (playing his father's music) on a whim last Monday - just had to ride 8 blocks to get there!

Good luck with the interview!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    A non-planning option, eh? Sounds intriguing. Care to share? or do you need to keep it on the down low? As one also working on the periphery of planning, I'm always curious to hear where others have taken it.
    The job is going to stay on the down low for now. But the interview went VERY well today. And by coincidence, one of the two interviewers is the husband and step father of two of the administrative assistants I worked with at a former planning PM job (where Cardinal also worked). I got along great with both of those ladies, so that can't hurt if he happens to go home tonight and mention it over dinner...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Tide: Congrats from a fellow NCAPA Region 6 member! I am sure we'll cross paths soon enough.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Tide: Congrats from a fellow NCAPA Region 6 member! I am sure we'll cross paths soon enough.
    Maybe tomorrow afternoon?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mrs. Cardinal has a program to help people find new jobs. Somebody she worked with just a few months ago was hired to do work overseas, was almost immediately promoted, and is now hiring a number of people in the project manager/engineering/construction oversight fields. I will pass along information when she learns more.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Belated congrats on the new job! Glad to see you are working again. Good luck and glad to see you get to stay in the Carolinas.(missing the Carolinas as I look out my office window watching the snow blowing around)

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 3:11 AM
  2. Child Support Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 7:39 PM
  3. Grass Support Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10