Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46
Results 1,126 to 1,146 of 1146

Thread: The unemployed planner support thread

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Well, here I am again. I was terminated on Friday, December 4th. I'm happy to say that I have a phone interview tomorrow.
    Sorry to hear it...but good luck on the phone interview. There are a few planning positions open in Arizona. PM me if you have any questions.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Feb 1998
    My last termination was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I am not an unemployed planner, but I am a planner looking for new employment.

Is it bad to ask your current direct supervisor - who is aware and supportive of you looking for a job - to call the interviewing entity and give a recommendation? How does that look - from both sides?

Advice, please.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post

Is it bad to ask your current direct supervisor - who is aware and supportive of you looking for a job - to call the interviewing entity and give a recommendation? How does that look - from both sides?

Advice, please.
    I'm a little wary when I get cold-called by an applicant's supervisor. The only time it doesn't bother me is when it involves a supervisor that I know personally (so I know they aren't just trying to unload a problem).

I'll cold-call on behalf of my staff, but I've only done it twice. Both times, they were cases of the employees needing to relocate out of the region for personal/family reasons and I knew somebody that either had openings or could help facilitate a soft landing. I would do it if my employee was seeking a career advancement position not possible at my employer, but I've never had an employee ask for me to take that step.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I think a cold-call is a bit abrupt, but if I see your direct supervisor's name on the list of recommendations, than I would be looking favorably on you.

Though, for our recent Exec Dir search for our local downtown advocacy entity, one of the candidates unilaterally put his previous supervisor on the recommendation list without getting permission from the person first. It did not work in the candidate's favor as this former supervisor was the person that decided to let him go for less than ideal reasons.

So if your supervisor is happy to be a recommendation, go for it, but I would let it be passive versus proactive.

Good luck on the search, Sal.
    Last edited by mendelman; 07 Feb 2017 at 4:35 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Happy hunting! Hopefully whatever is going on won't drive you too crazy.

I'd go with the passive reference too. Unless he/she knows someone like SR was talking about.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post

Advice, please.
    the resurfacing of this thread freaked me out as I thought "oh no!!!"

so I am glad this is just looking for work

I agree with others - cold calls work if your supervisor knows the other person as a professional friend kind of thing - my first public sector job was helped by this cold call on my behalf

otherwise you can just list your supervisor as a reference which will hold a lot of water on its own as it immediately shows you are leaving on good terms

Registered
    Apr 2017
    Hello, Canadian Planner here. I have a Master of Urban Planning degree and Bachelors of Science degree in Architecture. It's been more than 2 years since I've graduated and I cant seem to find entry level work. Either planning positions have a 3 to 10 year exp requirement or positions I qualify for are very competitive. I have applied to large municipalities, small towns and private planning practices but haven't had much luck.

I've had over a dozen interviews. Including an interview with the City of Toronto's planning department. I've been told many times over that I have been selected for an interview out of hundreds of applicants. I'm confident in my skills but it's very nerve-wracking when I don't get the job.

My ideal planning job is to work for an organization where I can use my research skills that I obtained during my graduate studies as well as my technical skills I've learned in architectural industry (autocad, revit, sketchup, 3ds max). Positions that meet my criteria pop up from time to time but they are very rare.

Last year, I did find work with an Urban Design and Land Use Planning firm in Michigan. My position would have been as a Urban Designer but my Visa application rejected at the US Border. They argued the work I would have done does not meet the criteria of the NAFTA agreement. i tried to plead with them but they told me to not come back without a Lawyer (which would have been very expensive). I don't know if anybody else has ever had this problem.

I live in a municipality in Southern-eastern Ontario with zero opportunities for entry-level planners not even for Volunteer opportunities related to planning. I currently work as a freelance architectural designer and it helps pay the bills. But i have been completely stressed that it has been so long since ive started my job hunt. I feel like i'm at the end of my rope

Can anybody provide me with some advice? Any would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally posted by ARCAtect View post
    Hello, Canadian Planner here. I have a Master of Urban Planning degree and Bachelors of Science degree in Architecture. It's been more than 2 years since I've graduated and I cant seem to find entry level work. Either planning positions have a 3 to 10 year exp requirement or positions I qualify for are very competitive. I have applied to large municipalities, small towns and private planning practices but haven't had much luck.

I've had over a dozen interviews. Including an interview with the City of Toronto's planning department. I've been told many times over that I have been selected for an interview out of hundreds of applicants. I'm confident in my skills but it's very nerve-wracking when I don't get the job.

My ideal planning job is to work for an organization where I can use my research skills that I obtained during my graduate studies as well as my technical skills I've learned in architectural industry (autocad, revit, sketchup, 3ds max). Positions that meet my criteria pop up from time to time but they are very rare.

Last year, I did find work with an Urban Design and Land Use Planning firm in Michigan. My position would have been as a Urban Designer but my Visa application rejected at the US Border. They argued the work I would have done does not meet the criteria of the NAFTA agreement. i tried to plead with them but they told me to not come back without a Lawyer (which would have been very expensive). I don't know if anybody else has ever had this problem.

I live in a municipality in Southern-eastern Ontario with zero opportunities for entry-level planners not even for Volunteer opportunities related to planning. I currently work as a freelance architectural designer and it helps pay the bills. But i have been completely stressed that it has been so long since ive started my job hunt. I feel like i'm at the end of my rope

Can anybody provide me with some advice? Any would be greatly appreciated.
    I lived in Toronto for a good few years. Have you looked into the darkside? Seriously, there is probably a glut of recent grads and experienced professionals seeking municipal planning work in the Toronto area. That's why it's so competitive to land a public gig. However, there's tons of existing and start-up planning firms due to the development pressures in the metro area. And hey, the current Chief Planner for Toronto was a recruit from the darkside.
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner View post
    I lived in Toronto for a good few years. Have you looked into the darkside? Seriously, there is probably a glut of recent grads and experienced professionals seeking municipal planning work in the Toronto area. That's why it's so competitive to land a public gig. However, there's tons of existing and start-up planning firms due to the development pressures in the metro area. And hey, the current Chief Planner for Toronto was a recruit from the darkside.
    Hi and thanks for the response. I actually have never heard of the "darkside". Can you post a link for me? thanks.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ARCAtect View post
    Hi and thanks for the response. I actually have never heard of the "darkside". Can you post a link for me? thanks.
    The darkside is planner talk for the private sector. Government agencies are one avenue, and the private sector is another. Developers, builders, and Planning Firms that do work for communities are other options.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2010
    New Mayor gave me my walking papers Friday to make room for his new PD. Not entirely unexpected but still a bummer. Trying to see this as an opportunity.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Derek Lloyd View post
    New Mayor gave me my walking papers Friday to make room for his new PD. Not entirely unexpected but still a bummer. Trying to see this as an opportunity.
    I work for a strong mayor City as well. Good luck on the job search.

PM your contact info and I'd be happy to pass along opportunities I come across that you may be interested in.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Derek Lloyd View post
    that sucks! If you're looking to live in the middle of nowhere, I think there are a few Kansas jobs around.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    that sucks! If you're looking to live in the middle of nowhere, physically, socially and morally, I think there are a few Kansas jobs around.
    There I fixed it for you.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2005
    post of the day The One!
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm not really sure the unemployed thread is the place to be cracking jokes. I know some people appreciate levity in tough situations but as someone who has been laid off more than once through no fault of my own it was nice to get actual support here instead of wisecracks. But maybe that's just me.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I'm not really sure the unemployed thread is the place to be cracking jokes. I know some people appreciate levity in tough situations but as someone who has been laid off more than once through no fault of my own it was nice to get actual support here instead of wisecracks. But maybe that's just me.
    True - sorry - though when I lost my job violently, I looked for humor anywhere I could but yes, it's devastating for sure
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Aug 2004

Back in the job-hunting saddle

I left my Director post due to relocation. We are heading back to the DFW area - and I admit it is not my first choice. In fact, I'm not that thrilled with the moving timing, but Karma/God/Fate decided to gift Hubby with a great job - that he is settling into nicely! - but the location is DFW.

House is on the market, movers are coming soon, and I am on the hunt for a new position.

I'm looking at both public and private sectors, upper level, and I'm not picky about travel requirements at this time.

Any DFW Cyburbians out there - PM me if you're open to meeting for coffee or lunch some day after Memorial weekend. I want to catch up on local projects, opportunities, and gossip!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013

Same as above

Similar post to poster above me - I'm relocating to Western PA for spousal reasons. My background is in transportation planning. Good luck to all the Cyburbians relocating!

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by akshali2000 View post
    Similar post to poster above me - I'm relocating to Western PA for spousal reasons. My background is in transportation planning. Good luck to all the Cyburbians relocating!
    I wish you luck. PA is notorious for incredibly low pay for planners. Definitely keep a look out for associated jobs because being a planner in PA is tough sledding.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

+ Reply to thread
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 3:11 AM
  2. Child Support Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 7:39 PM
  3. Grass Support Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10