Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The NEVERENDING Californian thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The NEVERENDING Californian thread

I love my home state; I really do. But I know I can never return permanently, for various reasons. I just read this article. Last year its population grew 1.3 percent to 38 million. One in eight Americans live in California.

The state has budget problems, water shortages, and infrastructure deficiencies.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BABH10FC3H.DTL

So I guess the question is: why do people continue to move to California?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    the question is: why do people continue to move to California?
    My brother moved there for a job promotion; bonus being near Mom's side of the family.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    For me, it was a variety of reasons, but first and foremost, health. Living in Minneapolis/St. Paul was a three-year long illness for me, my allergies hated it there. Also, when I moved to California, it was the only state with smoke-free bars, restaurants, and workplaces. I'm severely allergic to cigarette smoke -- one semi-smoky meal can mean a month or more of illness and missed work time, so that was an incredibly big factor. Not only is it a major impact on social life, but most jobs I've had tend to require some amount of time in bars/restaurants, whether with clients or fellow employees -- it can be expected for people to show up in these places.

For most people, it's the climate above all else. Whether it's for health reasons or comfort, the moderate climate of California draws people. The diversity and interest of life is a big factor too -- although those factors certainly exist in other major cities.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    For me, weather was probably number one.

An urban environment was number two for me (not an option for the majority of Californians, but SF was about the only city on the West Coast where I could live the lifestyle that I had learned to love during my school years in Amsterdam and Barcelona)

Money was number three. In spite of all the press about the high cost of living in California (which is certainly true for purchasing a house), doing some research I was able to see that for similar jobs and living in similar neighborhoods I was going to be able to have more than $15,000 more to save each year starting out. A higher percentage of my income goes to housing, sure, but my income is soooo much higher that it seemed stupid to take another job (my other options were Chicago and Boston - and I don't think I would have handled the weather well in either of those places). I also spend almost nothing on fruit and veggies compared to other friends that I know - and all of mine are fresh.

Available outdoor activities was number four. I go hiking at least once a month, I ski in winter, and I like running year round (and not on a treadmill) - all of which I can do comfortably in California. Also - there's nothing more fun than taking out of state friends into the Wine Country for a day or two.

All that being said, the state is broken, and most can be blamed on the stupid California Initiative system (IMO). If California went back to being a true representative democracy, instead of the more direct democracy system that it has morphed into over the last 35 years or so, all of the problems could be fixed.

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm going to move back there eventually. Lived 27 of my 30 years there and the last 3 years (away from california) have been my most unhappiest

I think one of the biggest factors for people moving there - besides weather - is the attitude of most californians. My experience is that in general, californians have better attitudes (more relaxed) than non-californians. One of the biggest things I noticed when i moved away is that non-californians have a higher tendency to be uptight stiffs

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Lived and worked there when I was younger and not a planner. Not sure why I left,
    Had a since of wander lust when I was younger, realized that I had one go around and wanted to live in different areas. Did not want to say "I wish I woulda" If I was fortunate enough to mediate before I left this earth,

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I guess i don't know really why people want to live here other than for the climate and there is just so much to do in this state. I live in the northern San Joaquin Valley (or to my friends jokingly "the greater bay area") and i feel like i am in the epicenter of things to do in this state. Need to go wine tasting? Napa is only 2 hours away. Want to go to the City (San Francisco for all you non-bay area folks) 45 minutes to the BART station and off i go. Want to check out the state capital and visit my folks? 90 mins. Need to go to the beach and visit a boardwalk? 2 hours away. Want to head to the mountains to do some skiing? 45 mins. Yosemite day trip? Ya, i can do that in 90 minutes. I can go on and on. There is just so much to do here.

I mainly think people move here for a lifestyle change, and trust me it is. I visited the Midwest with my wife two years ago and wandered downtown Minneapolis on a Sunday and nothing was open, everyone drove the speed limit, and man people talked really really slow. It was almost like i wanted to tell them "please speed up your little speech so i can move on" and my god it was muggy. I just wanted to go back home to the nice evening delta breeze or when i live on the coast the watch the fog roll in during the summer and cool us off.

This state isn't for everyone. For starters, our schools our woefully funded thanks to massive property tax regulations, our streets are in terrible shape, we have an immigrant problem (and what state doesn't now a days) our state legislators should all be fired and the rest of the country thinks we live like pack rats out in the burbs because our houses have a 5 foot side yard, but hey i pose you this question:

Where else can you drink a beer and ride an ATV on a beach with fenced areas delineating where you can't ride because we need to protect a stupid bird that can't fly? California of course.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    As someone who has never been to California I think to a lot of people in other parts of the country it represents the "American Dream" more than anyplace else. There's just have an assumption that the weather, economy and just about everything else is better than it is in their cold, downtrodden neck of the woods. People don't necessarily research all the issues you brought up in your original post before they decide to make a change.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    All that being said, the state is broken, and most can be blamed on the stupid California Initiative system (IMO). I
    Amen! Also, another thing that can fix this state is tinkering with the sacred cow:

PROPOSITION 13
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

I grew up in California and boy do I miss it. Everything is accessible, the weather is perfect, the scenery magnificent. Why wouldn't everyone want to live there?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Living in Vegas the last three years, it's easy to missing the Golden State. There's not exactly much to do in the 702 area code. Plus, while California (especially if you're less than 50 miles from the ocean) can get expensive, there is more to do if you're short on cash, namely outdoor stuff. So there is a trade-off. So count me in as an exile who wants back in.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Califoreenaaaae

Agree with Seabishop.....California really does seem like "The American Dream". Myth or not, its' badge has been showcased via movies, television, music.....probably more than any other place (except, perhaps, NYC). Until locational filming became popular (all about the money and the unions) most flicks were so-very-obviously California. Hollywood presented California and we gobbled it up. Television was icing on that cake. "California Girls" , a great tune to gather the lemmings and draw them in.....Sunset Strip.....movie stars.....Dragnet, with the opening scenes of L.A. and the classic L.A. skyscraper.....Tony Bennett leaving his heart in San Francisco.....the San Francisco earthquake....."Open up your Golden Gate"......the 60s nudist craze (Black's Beach).....incredible rock and roll....."Summer of Love"......The Haight.....Willie Mays and Joe Montana......Sandy Koufax (maybe the best pitcher EVER)....."It's the big 'W', I tell ya!".....The Rose Bowl.....Laurel & Hardy dropping the piano down the hundreds of steps, in hilly San Fran.....the naval ships lining the harborfront in San Diego.....the helicopter views of the white Ford Bronco......all of those expressways.....thousands of containers, stacked at Long Beach, waiting to be placed on double-decker freight trains and distributed to those of us who are not in California.....Sacramento from the air, with thousands of new homes......movie stars who become governors and presidents.....topless blondes in elevated cages.......the first McDonald's.....Scott McKenzie singing, ".....be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.....".....Disneyland.....surfer boys and (the original) woodies.....Gidget.....Ernest & Julio.....the attitude and stadium dress of Raider fans.....Kezar Stadium.....the hills (oft-fire-blackened) around Oakland.....palm trees.....the beach.....the homes of Malibu.....trees you can drive through, literally.....tsunami.....Rodeo Drive.....Sierra Nevada Mountains.....Yosemite.....oil derricks as far as the eye can see.....wind turbine farms.....giant manufacturing plants....."The" I-5 in northern California....."the breadbasket".....the steaming sidewalks of Fresno.....Spanish missions lining the coast.....the look-alike barrack-like buildings of Warner Brothers.....Pebble Beach.....Bing & Bob.....the Techachapi Loop.....Sutter.....Death Valley & "Death Valley Days".....The Pacific Coast Highway.....Wolfman Jack.....

This list could go on forever.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    As someone who has never been to California I think to a lot of people in other parts of the country it represents the "American Dream" more than anyplace else. .
    Yeah. "Day of the Locusts".

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 513
    Last post: 12 Sep 2014, 1:09 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread