Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Traffic study requirements

Registered
    Jan 2006

Traffic study requirements

How many of you require that a traffic study be signed and sealed by a professional engineer? Why is this so often required? If you do / do not have this requirement, please enlighten me on the reason. It has just always burnt my hind a bit that I had to give my report to someone else to sign. I was given the assignment in the first place. There has to be a reason, right?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

Sealing of Traffic Studies

Coincidentally, I just today received a letter from the Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) notifying us that as of June 1, 2008, all traffic impact studies (TISs) submitted for MTO review (i.e. that affect a Provincial highway, but not TISs that are entirely within municipal jurisdiction) must be signed and sealed by a registered professional engineer. They have the additional requirement that the company submitting the TIS be registered and approved with the MTO's consultant registration system for this type of analysis.

Their letter gives little reason for the change, simply saying "These new requirements are part of our ongoing efforts to ensure safe and efficient operation of Ontario's highways".

Registered
    Sep 2005
    There are other threads on this topic....one reason some of us think this happens is that the engineers have a better lobby that the planners.

The other reason is they have had bad analysis (imagine that) and think that by haveing someone sign and seal, they can hold them responsible. It does not work, the engineer can claim 'proffessional judgement' as the basis for tweaking a number. All this does is drive up the cost.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    We do not require they be signed and sealed, however when we hire consultants, we do require that the firm has engineers on board.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    The union is very powerful.

Seriously, it is supposed to be a check that the person has at least a modicum of knowledge about the field. This will get more defined in the coming years as the PTOE and PTP certification additions to the PE get more accepted and potentially required for jobs. Plus in most states PEs have a level of statutory responsibility for public safety as a condition of licensure.

RTG the PEPTOE

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Land use study
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Dec 2009, 8:46 AM
  2. Traffic impact study requirements
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Apr 2008, 6:34 AM
  3. Replies: 2