Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Expatriation in London

Registered
    Apr 2008

Expatriation in London

Hi all!
    I'm a french urban planner student and since some weeks, I'm thinking to join UK to work a bit next year, after my graduation...
    I already had a look on the job market there and it seems that there is much more offers than in France...
    Do you think that I should try to get a job there (with just an experience of 9 months, acquired during two internships) or it's a bit stupid and I should try first to find a job in France and then, why not, to expatriate myself?
    Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Toni it seems the UK planners are asleep. If you want to live and work overseas straight after graduation - you should. As for opportunities in the UK, I have three staff working there at the moment on 12 month sabbaticals, two about to go and there have been others preceding them.

I've found planners that work in the UK come back with more confidence and better communication skills, and while expect that is as much about life experience as work experience, I support any of our less experienced staff who want to follow that course.

Just as an extra suggestion, I think you should consider some longer term career goals before going to the UK. The short term decisions you make will be better informed if, say, you want to gain as much experience as possible before returning to France, or you want to forge a career in the UK, or ....... I'm sure you get the drift.

Good luck.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the advice REM...to be frank, if I go there, I have absolutely no deadline to come back in France. If I like the job I have there, if it's interesting...I can stay there for a long time. I don't want to say "I'm going to London, I get a job for 1 year, 2 years and then I come back". If things are going well, why not to stay 5, 10 years, the whole life...we'll see! Nothing refrain me here in France (no job, no girlfriend...only family and friends, it's important I know but not enough, at least for me, regarding to the experience, the skills that I can get there)...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    If your English is even half good, its a no brainier, of course should come and try the UK!

EU means no work visa needed of course, and France is not exactly very far away. My girlfriend still manages to see her family and friends in France 5-6 times a year.

I would suggest trying somewhere other than London, unless you really want the metropolis experience. There are big French ex-pat communities in many cities.

You will of course endlessly complain about the cost of living, the lack of holidays and the weather and food, but then your French so you wont be able to help yourself.

If you end up Bristol way drop me forum message I might be able to help you find a place or whatever. There may be too many French people for you here though...

If only it was easier the other way, but to work in France you need very good French whilst in Britain you can get away with pretty poor English. We had a French student work here who was barely able to say hello.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Thanks b3nr, I'll let you know if I end up in Bristol. The plan is to go to London but if I find a job somewhere else, why not!
    Concerning the level in english, I've lived abroad during 5 months and spoke it evereyday, I can't say that I was fluent in your language but I guess that after a couple of weeks in England, it will come back naturally...Thanks for your support, I'm more motivated than never to discover your country and try my luck there.

Registered
    Jan 2009

New member - seeking a job in UK

Hi

I am glad to discover a forum for planners ! It is not so easy to find ..
    I am French, obtained the 'Master 2' last October.
    I have done a student exchange with the Birmingham City University (from September 2007 to January 2008) and now live in Wolverhampton.

I am seeking a job anywhere in the UK.

I would be pleased to read any suggestions or advices.

Thank you

Stef

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Well, i'd just repeat what i said two posts above, if you can secure a job here, it is worth giving it go.

Registered
    Jan 2009

Find a job

Thank you b3nr for your reply

I have been living in England since September 2007 (Birmingham and now Wolverhampton).
    I am actively seeking a job but I wonder if it is possible considering the actual economic situation ?
    Indeed I send a lot of Cvs attached with a cover letter by email and mail and fill in a lot of application forms for graduate positions within the consultancies accredited by the RTPI. But I have received a lot of negative replies so far. And I have not find suitable vacancies in the public sector to apply for.
    So I wonder what I can do more now.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Hi Stef,

I finished my Msc last yr and it took me many months to find a planning job due to the economic situation, but I got one eventually. A lot of my class mates are in the same position but every week someone is finding a job so things are looking up! If you have not joined the RTPI yet , do so and you will receive the Planning magazine every week with jobs advertised in the back pages, also try th erecruitment agencies for any contract work, as some public and private emplyers take on temps instead of hiring permanent staff, in my office there are 3 contract planners with temping agencies and only 2 permanent, me being one of them!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Thank you for your reply, planner

I am a student member of the RTPI and receive each week the Planning magazine.
    Unfortunately graduate or assistant planner positions are very scarce !
    I have tried to work jointly with recruitment agencies but I heard the commission they took is so important that it is very unlikely to find a job by that way. And I have to say, I registered with lot of them and even though I contacted them often (once per week at least) they never find me anything ! And I am not so sure they forwarded my CV for each vacancy I found interesting (as you cannot apply for each vacancy you see on their website, you can only register for one and then one of the recruitment staff contact you and forward your CV when they think it is appropriate. So you do not have any control about the process and never know if you have miss opportunities !)
    So this is why I decided to try to find vacancies directly on the website of recruiters like city councils and consultancies.
    I hope I will find quickly a position like some of your friends.
    I thank you again for your reply

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Yes that has changed things. Planning was half job adverts last year. This week had three lower grade posts in it. Good luck securing a job.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved from the former Planning in the UK forum.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from London
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Oct 2007, 2:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2006, 12:14 AM
  3. Replies: 86
    Last post: 13 Jul 2005, 9:02 AM
  4. Hello from London
    Introduce Yourself