• Other

2 10.53%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: What to do at Stanfest '08 Poll

Registered
    Feb 2004

What to do at Stanfest '08 Poll

I've included a poll to gauge interest as to what people would like to do at Stanfest 2008. Feel free to add your own suggestions as well.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I voted for the tour of the Loop, neighborhood tour by L and other (which would be walking tours of either the University Village redevelopment area and/or the Central Station redevelopment area (both are directly adjacent to downtown and easily accessible by foot or L.
    Last edited by mendelman; 05 May 2008 at 1:17 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just keep in mind that the boat tour is $30 and takes 90 minutes. I'm up for it, but of course we'll still have time for other things as well.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Sit around at the Ohio House and get ripped on Old Style?

Trade some pork bellies?

Hang out at the Lincoln Park zoo and make fun of tourists like DetroitPlanner?

Go to the bars at Division and Rush and get tossed out by the cops for disorderly conduct?

Go to Macy's and steal stuff?

Get some old cop cars and drive through shopping malls?

Find Wayne and Garth?

Discover what really is in Al Capone's secret vault?

Remember too many locations will be like hearding cats. Most planners explore on their own because of varied interests or experiences (that and most of our friends and relatives can't really understand why we like stuff like Burnham, Sullivan, or that we watch others experiencing places like Melineium Park). It may be better to keep activities to a minimum.

Most of the out of town planners will be spending a night or two. You might need to wait until hotel research is done.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 05 May 2008 at 8:09 PM.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ok....

Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I voted for the tour of the Loop, neighborhood tour by L and other (which would be walking tours of either the University Village redevelopment area and/or the Central Station redevelopment area (both are directly adjacent to downtown and easily accessible by foot or L.
    What's the over under on getting mugged during this tour? I've been hearing some disturbing things about crime in the Chicago area.....and this from a guy living in Arizona I used Phoenix to keep it realistic....

http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?cit...city2=50455000

Anyway, I've got $25 on Stan getting mugged after 20 minutes on the walking tour....

Oh and by the way.....sign me up....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Not being a fan of bars and smoke, I would prefer to minimize the unstructured activities where we just "hang out." The objective is to spend time with each other and have fun together, yes? I can't imagine enjoying sitting in a tavern trying to breathe, watching everyone else drink, and having to yell over the loud music.

(ahoy, matey!)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Not being a fan of bars and smoke, I would prefer to minimize the unstructured activities where we just "hang out." The objective is to spend time with each other and have fun together, yes? I can't imagine enjoying sitting in a tavern trying to breathe, watching everyone else drink, and having to yell over the loud music.

(ahoy, matey!)
    Illinois no longer allows smoking in bars, noise is another storey. Most bars are going to be noisey, hopefully we can find one with an outdoor area.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    As far as mugging goes, guns are illegal in Chicago you know, so you shouldn't have any problem with that. No, just kidding. But for real, in all my 21 years here, I've never been mugged or know anyone who has...at least not in the Loop or the "good" neighborhoods. Also, just don't make yourself a target. Walk with a purpose, don't act like a tourist, and don't stray from the group.

As for the activities I selected, I chose the walking tour of the Loop and the architectural tour boat. I think the "L" would be very hard to do logistics-wise, and I can easily picture losing members of the group who get on different train cars, miss a train, miss the stop, etc. Plus, the L could be crowded, and it could take a really long time if we don't have a set schedule of what we want to see.

I think the boat would be much easier to do, since everybody goes on the boat together, everybody sees everything without getting lost, you don't have to worry about looking like a nerdy tourist stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to gape at an apartment building or anything like that.

As far as smokey, noisy, crowded bars, this brings up a good point. Maybe it would be easier to go to a restaurant, where you can eat and drink in a little bit more peaceful environment at a more relaxed pace, and also enjoy some of the great food Chicago has to offer (in addition to its beverages). Plus, we could maybe make a reservation and get our own room. Perhaps Lou Malnati's or Portillo's? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    ...As for the activities I selected, I chose the walking tour of the Loop and the architectural tour boat. ...I think the boat would be much easier to do, since everybody goes on the boat together, everybody sees everything without getting lost, you don't have to worry about looking like a nerdy tourist stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to gape at an apartment building or anything like that.
    Amen! (Memo to self: find out the group rate.)
    As far as smokey, noisy, crowded bars, this brings up a good point. Maybe it would be easier to go to a restaurant, where you can eat and drink in a little bit more peaceful environment at a more relaxed pace, and also enjoy some of the great food Chicago has to offer (in addition to its beverages). Plus, we could maybe make a reservation and get our own room. Perhaps Lou Malnati's or Portillo's? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Ideas from locals are welcome. At the APA confab a few years back my student group went to Harry Caray's, which did not seem to be worth the visit.

And at that same event, I stayed at my sister's in Oak Park (she has since moved to greater Lansing) and rode my bike DT every day. Did not get mugged. On at least one occasion I was on a dark and scary street (riding under the El route) and had no issues.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I believe the Goose Island Brewery pubs have smoke free areas.
    http://www.gooseisland.com/pubs/pubs.asp
    The one on Clyburn is nice.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Didn't Chicago and/or Illinois recently adopt a bar smoking ban?

Anyways, I recall a very short visit to the Goose Island brewery in about 1988-90 or so and the discussions that I had with the friend I was visiting at the time about how that area (Clyburn Corridor) being a police no-mans' land only 10-15 years earlier, musing about how that area was coming back and what the future might hold for it.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This tour is shaping up nicely! Float tour, private dining room, we'll see..

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Didn't Chicago and/or Illinois recently adopt a bar smoking ban?

Anyways, I recall a very short visit to the Goose Island brewery in about 1988-90 or so and the discussions that I had with the friend I was visiting at the time about how that area (Clyburn Corridor) being a police no-mans' land only 10-15 years earlier, musing about how that area was coming back and what the future might hold for it.

Mike
    Il went smoke free Jan. 1. The Clybourn Goose Island will be closing at the end of the year due to the escalating real estate values in the area. Goose Island has another location near Wrigley that will remain open. I was there last fall and don't remember it being too noisy. Perhaps we could get our own room if enough people are coming, although I don't know off hand how many we would need. Not sure if they have an outdoor area as well. I did find a locale with a beer garden that would seem ideal (beer list is in two volumes) but due to the proximity to Wrigley it would probably more crowded than some would like.
    Link: http://www.sheffieldschicago.com/
    Link: http://www.gooseisland.com/pubs/clybourn.asp

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Ooo, looks like it's neck-and-neck between boat tour and El tour.

Do you think it might be a good idea to create a thread so we can get a head-count of who's actually all going to Stanfest 08?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Do you think it might be a good idea to create a thread so we can get a head-count of who's actually all going to Stanfest 08?
    Based on previous laefests, figure about 75% of those who say 'yes they'll go' will actually attend (life has a funny way of interfering with laefests) and 25% of those who said 'maybe' will actually attend. It's probably as firm a projected headcount as you can get. Who knows, though, with Chi-town being such a happening place we might get better numbers than expected.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Here's the tentative plan for this Bear and wife Katie.....

Up early in beautiful downtown Swanton, OH. Cruise to Chicago and with an hour time difference, arrive late-morning. Visit either Navy Pier or Shedd Aquarium. Follow that with drive out to hotel in area of O'Hare Airport. Grab room, clean up a bit. Jump on train and go back into Loop, looking for geeky folks in blue shirts.

My preference, of course, would be an open-air bar. The Cubbies are hosting San Francisco that afternoon, so staying away from Wrigley Area probably a good idea. If I remember correctly, there is a music festival on the lakefront, but it is not one of the big Stanapalooza-type alt-whatever events.

Meeting at a certain time at Millenium Park would be a great starting point.

El-tour or boat-tour.....both sound cool. I don't need to look up at tall buildings and look like a geek. I do that with a horizontal stare.

Bringing the camera.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Perhaps we could get our own room if enough people are coming, although I don't know off hand how many we would need. Not sure if they have an outdoor area as well. I did find a locale with a beer garden that would seem ideal (beer list is in two volumes) but due to the proximity to Wrigley it would probably more crowded than some would like.
    Link: http://www.sheffieldschicago.com/
    Link: http://www.gooseisland.com/pubs/clybourn.asp
    My .02:
    I voted for boat tour.....

I love the beer garden idea, reminiscent of Stanfests......

I personally would rather not have a private room, I like people and people watching!

But, having said that, I am just along for the ride!! My main concern is getting there, sleeping arrangements, and then getting back...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Stanfest 2009 Planning Thread/Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 20 Jul 2009, 5:46 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 May 2009, 6:57 PM
  3. StanFest 2008 Location Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 54
    Last post: 20 Dec 2007, 8:23 PM