Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GSD career discovery

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

GSD career discovery

So I just heard that I got into the Harvard GSD Career Discovery program this summer. Anyone else going to be there?

Registered
    Feb 2008
    I'm going for urban design; what is your concentration?

I've only heard great things about the program (mostly about architecture), so I'm very excited!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm going for planning. I'm pretty excited about it.

ahhh i'm still waiting (impatiently) on my response! submitted my app on 4/11...did they send it in the mail or e-mail?

i really have no idea how to tell work "by the way...i'd like 6 weeks off...please....?"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by shelbycakes View post
    ahhh i'm still waiting (impatiently) on my response! submitted my app on 4/11...did they send it in the mail or e-mail?
    E-mail. I submitted mine on 3/17 and only heard back yesterday, so don't give up hope. Do you know if all of your recommenders have submitted their recommendations? Once of mine didn't until the very end of April, which I'm sure is what held up the decision.

i really have no idea how to tell work "by the way...i'd like 6 weeks off...please....?"
    I quit my job.

Haha, I can't believe you quit your job - good for you. Ever been to Boston/Cambridge? Plenty fun

My recs did go through, but now I feel better knowing you submitted it in March...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, I've been up there a few times and liked it a lot. Should be a fun place to spend a summer.

I'm sure you'll hear soon. It's theoretically rolling admissions, but it seems to roll pretty slowly.

awesome, maybe see you then. I also applied for planning.

Yes, slow roller.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    i'll be there as well! (for urban planning)... that is IF they tell me i got some financial aid, which apparently won't come out until the end of may. it's prety sucky that they won't tell me until like 2 weeks before the program starts--i definitely won't go if i don't get some $$--but what're you gonna do? I'm excited.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, the financial aspect of the program is pretty bad. I get the impression that it partly serves as a cash cow for the GSD.

I'm not sure it's exactly a cash cow, they offer a similar, less intense program to high school students completely free, which includes lunch and transportation subsidy. I only know this because I work as a mentor to high school juniors/seniors with summer programs and college applications and came across it...it's called "Project Link". Seems like a little grooming project for urban high school students to become architects and planners.

so I got my acceptance today. Gonna wait on the financial aid info....the costs, combined with not working for six weeks is gonna be pretty tough.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Congrats! I sent in my acceptance today, so I'll definitely be there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

:/

i just got a financial aid offer of $1380. i was expecting a little more, but i guess it's better than nothing. looks like i'm going.

I got a decent amount of aid as well, see you guys there

Registered
    May 2008
    I was really surprised to find out that I didn't qualify for aid. Does anyone have any additional information about the program to help me figure out if it's worth the pretty steep cost? I'm considering applying to planning graduate programs, though not for a few years, and am particularly interested in the GSD. Thanks!

the reason i actually did apply is because i've met/known a good amount of people who have participated in the past. everyone has said it was really intense, but well worth it and helped them solidify whether they'll actually pursue a career in planning (or l.a. or arch). if i didn't get any aid i probably wouldn't have gone, because of the amount of money i'm missing out on by not working for six weeks. but, from what i've heard, if you can get any type of financial help (whether in the form of aid, or daddy warbucks, haha), that it's worth it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    did you get a half-tuition waiver too, shelby?

the cost is pretty steep, when you factor in housing. i'm coming from the west coast so those 6 weeks are going to cost me $2k at least. yikes. hellooo, instant ramen.

i did get the half tuition waiver as well. luckily, i live in MA so it's not so bad, i'm still going to live on campus because its a huge hassle to drive or take the T, but i'm glad i don't need to pay for a flight or anything

Registered
    May 2008

GSD admissions?

Congrats on being accepted!
    I plan on applying for the 2009 session - can you give me any insight on what kind of grades you need to get in? Right now I'm just above a 3.6.

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    rachelanne, i'm pretty sure they take everyone.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't know about them taking everyone, but yeah, it doesn't seem all that competitive. I wouldn't worry about it.

yeah I really wouldn't worry about it, especially with a 3.6.

I'm coming from a state school with a 3.3. i had good rec's and a decent essay, but I get the feeling it's not very competitive at all.

Registered
    May 2008
    I will also be there, but the program is going to bankrupt me. Does anyone know how they made financial aid decisions? It seems a little ridiculous that I'm turning over my life savings to an institution with millions in an endowment.

Anyone already attended? Provide insight into program?

Hi Kidz,

I was recently accepted too. Jeeez, they sure took their sweet time letting folks know! Anyhow, I've already made other plans and want to know if it's worth it to cancel them to go to HSD for the summer.

What exactly is taught? Just model making?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. School: Harvard Harvard GSD Career Discovery
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Apr 2013, 9:57 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Nov 2010, 6:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Apr 2010, 1:15 AM
  4. GSD career discovery