Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NYU Urban Planning program

Registered
    Jun 2008

NYU Urban Planning program

I'm interested in entering a Urban Planning program. I want to know if attending NYU's program would be a wise decision. If I attend NYU instead of other schools around the tri state area, would I have a better edge?

When factoring tuition and opportunities, would going to NYU be a good idea?

I noticed that the tuition is about 14,000 per year. But if the job prospects are low paying I dont know if thats a good idea. In addition, i wonder if I would get about the same opportunities as graduating from another NY school with a lower tuition.

Registered
    May 2008
    I think the NYU program is well-respected, but you might also check out the programs at Pratt and Rutgers, also both very good programs (potentially better, depending on your interests) and likely much less expensive. The program at Columbia is also very well-regarded, but similar in costs to NYU.

I attended the NYU program - back in the early/mid 90s. Don't let the price deter you from applying. I received about 40% grant funding and that helped greatly supplement the amount of aid I actually had to borrow. I found it to be a great program and recommend it highly. That said, I have plenty of colleagues that went the the Rutgers program and found it to be great as well. I preferred the urban environment and the opportunities to do field work and site visits greatly enhanced classroom work.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally posted by janeyc View post
    I attended the NYU program - back in the early/mid 90s. Don't let the price deter you from applying. I received about 40% grant funding and that helped greatly supplement the amount of aid I actually had to borrow. I found it to be a great program and recommend it highly. That said, I have plenty of colleagues that went the the Rutgers program and found it to be great as well. I preferred the urban environment and the opportunities to do field work and site visits greatly enhanced classroom work.

How did you get grant funding?

Actually, it wasn't grant funding but merit-based scholarship/assistance. I believe that you are automatically considered for some "assistance" if you apply for financial aid and state you are looking for merit-based aid. Here's the link that explains the process:

http://wagner.nyu.edu/current/financ...holarships.php

FYI, I was enrolled full-time and had a fairly good (3.7 GPA) for my undergraduate work. I applied to a couple of schools and most offered some type of tuition scholarship. So don't let the base tuition cost scare you off. Hope that helps.

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    Also consider the City University of New York (CUNY):

Hunter College Department of Urban Affairs & Planning

Queens College Department of Urban Studies (Flushing, Queens, NY)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Oct 2011, 6:42 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Jul 2009, 9:15 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Dec 2008, 1:25 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 7:07 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last post: 23 Jan 2008, 12:18 PM