Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GSD career discovery

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Nicolenow View post
    I will also be there, but the program is going to bankrupt me. Does anyone know how they made financial aid decisions? It seems a little ridiculous that I'm turning over my life savings to an institution with millions in an endowment.
    As far as I can tell, they basically look to see if there's any way you can possibly pay for it yourself, and if there is they don't give you anything.

Quote Originally posted by ElishaGoodman View post
    Hi Kidz,

I was recently accepted too. Jeeez, they sure took their sweet time letting folks know! Anyhow, I've already made other plans and want to know if it's worth it to cancel them to go to HSD for the summer.

What exactly is taught? Just model making?
    This sort of depends on what your other plans are, doesn't it?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    i know how you feel, nicole. i don't think anyone got a full tuition waiver.

if you aren't from the area, it's going to be a VERY expensive 6 weeks. just bought my plane tickets today. sigh.

I will also be there, but the program is going to bankrupt me. Does anyone know how they made financial aid decisions? It seems a little ridiculous that I'm turning over my life savings to an institution with millions in an endowment.
    millions??? I think you mean BILLIONS. i'm paying for it myself too, and even though i got financial aid, it's still going to be really expensive for me.... six weeks without working? yikes.

that's the one thing i dislike about all of harvard's masters programs - they just expect that no one has to work, ever. when i went to their open house it seemed like they didn't account for that fact that people need to support themselves and can't take classes at 11am.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally posted by shelbycakes View post
    millions??? I think you mean BILLIONS. i'm paying for it myself too, and even though i got financial aid, it's still going to be really expensive for me.... six weeks without working? yikes.

that's the one thing i dislike about all of harvard's masters programs - they just expect that no one has to work, ever. when i went to their open house it seemed like they didn't account for that fact that people need to support themselves and can't take classes at 11am.
    I could be wrong, but I think the GSD's endowment is around $400 million, not in the billions range. And since each school runs independantly, financial aid comes from each specific school's budget and is not pooled university-wide.

While $400 million is not an insignificant sum, GSD is considered one of the "poorer" schools at Harvard. While I believe the GSD has made a concerted effort to try to provide more funding for architecture, landscape architecture and urban planning students (but by no means fully funding everyone) in the past few years, I doubt that this 6-week summer program is a top priority funding-wise considering arch and landscape arch students have 3 years of schooling at roughly $35K/year in tuition. It's just hard to provide funding to professional students (we're more akin to MBAs and JDs than to PhDs in this regard).

Registered
    May 2008
    "It's just hard to provide funding to professional students (we're more akin to MBAs and JDs than to PhDs in this regard)."

If only the salaries of architects abd planners were also akin to JDs and MBAs!

I could be wrong, but I think the GSD's endowment is around $400 million, not in the billions range. And since each school runs independantly, financial aid comes from each specific school's budget and is not pooled university-wide.
    Nocal, I think you're right. I was thinking of Harvard as whole, not the individual school...oops!

But yes, this program is obviously not a funding priority, and I'm thankful they gave me anything.... they could very well have not offered any aid to anyone at all.

Now if you wanna talk about raping people for money by creating random programs, try NYU's "Spring in New York". I did it last spring, wanted to move to NYC bla bla bla. It's an undergraduate visiting student program, meaning they provide NO aid and you pay for the full semester (like, 23k). It was awesome, I loved it, but def. put me in debt. Interesting they do it in the spring, when the rest of the class is away abroad and they need to fill the dorms.......hmmmm!!

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Nicolenow View post
    "It's just hard to provide funding to professional students (we're more akin to MBAs and JDs than to PhDs in this regard)."

If only the salaries of architects abd planners were also akin to JDs and MBAs!

Only if life were that kind...

Nocal, I think you're right. I was thinking of Harvard as whole, not the individual school...oops!

But yes, this program is obviously not a funding priority, and I'm thankful they gave me anything.... they could very well have not offered any aid to anyone at all.

Now if you wanna talk about raping people for money by creating random programs, try NYU's "Spring in New York". I did it last spring, wanted to move to NYC bla bla bla. It's an undergraduate visiting student program, meaning they provide NO aid and you pay for the full semester (like, 23k). It was awesome, I loved it, but def. put me in debt. Interesting they do it in the spring, when the rest of the class is away abroad and they need to fill the dorms.......hmmmm!!
    Jesus. That NYU program sounds like such a money pit. As an undergrad, even though you're just a visiting student, if you were obtaining credits, I would think some sort of financial aid would be offered.

As for Harvard's summer program, while steep in price, I've heard nothing but good things from students who went through it. It really helped solidified (or dispelled) their desire to go into architecture or planning. And they obtained really great letters of recs from their instructors for grad school. Good luck to everyone who plan on attending!

Also, UCLA has a pretty good summer program (but it's just for architecture).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    speaking of rec letters, i was reading about career disco on the archinect forums and many people said it isn't worth using your letter of rec for applications because "everyone knows that career disco recs always praise the student no matter what." strangely enough some named mit specifically as a school that looks down on it. anyone have a thought on this?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by anh View post
    speaking of rec letters, i was reading about career disco on the archinect forums and many people said it isn't worth using your letter of rec for applications because "everyone knows that career disco recs always praise the student no matter what." strangely enough some named mit specifically as a school that looks down on it. anyone have a thought on this?
    I'd think this would be true of all recs, at least to some extent.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    i think the difference to these schools is that you're in essence "buying" a good rec

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by anh View post
    i think the difference to these schools is that you're in essence "buying" a good rec
    I can see that. In any case, I doubt it's much of a problem overall, since you have to have recommendations to get into the program itself and presumably those same recommenders will be willing to write grad school recommendations as well.

Everyone I have talked to has said nothing but good things about this program, and I'm really excited about it. As far as using the "recommendation", what we receive (from what I know), isn't a recommendation, but rather an assessment, that can be sent along in place of a transcript since the program doesn't grant credits. It can't replace a recommendation from a professor or employee. I can't imagine any school actually looking down on a student trying to get a better handle on what they may want to do as a career....after all, it is called "Career Discovery", rather than "resume booster"

One other thing...

I'm going to be taking the GRE in August. Is anyone else going to be taking it this summer/fall and want to study with me? I'm using the Barron's prep book. If anyone wants to get together weekly, work on some math problems or some vocab let me know. I honestly haven't taken "real" math since highschool (sooo um, 2003?), besides Finite Math in college but that was a joke. Let me know

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm going to be taking the GRE in August. Is anyone else going to be taking it this summer/fall and want to study with me? I'm using the Barron's prep book. If anyone wants to get together weekly, work on some math problems or some vocab let me know. I honestly haven't taken "real" math since highschool (sooo um, 2003?), besides Finite Math in college but that was a joke. Let me know
    I'll probably be taking it in the fall. I might be up for some studying.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    i'm thinking about taking a micro-econ online course during the program... do you think this is doable? i know they say CD is pretty intense, but i don't know if it's time-consuming kind of intensive or just the all-urban planning-all the time variety.

I'll probably be taking it in the fall. I might be up for some studying.
    sweet! find me when we get there. i'll probably be the sort of socially awkward one with a lame nametag that says "shelby".

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    i'll probably be the sort of socially awkward one.
    I suspect this description will fit a considerable number of the people in the program.

you're probably right....

i need to learn to shmooze without liquid confidence, oops!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

It Begins

I just checked into the dorms today. Anyone else here yet?

i'll probably be there around 3 today. still packing! oops...

are you on the facebook group? i've been looking at that, seems like a few people moved in yesterday.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. GSD career discovery
    Student Commons
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 25 Apr 2016, 4:03 PM
  2. School: Harvard Harvard GSD Career Discovery
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Apr 2013, 8:57 PM
  3. Replies: 7