Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Applied for a marriage license yesterday...

Registered
    Mar 2007

Applied for a marriage license yesterday...

I used my lunch break yesterday to walk across the street and apply for a marriage license so that the Future Mrs. WSU MUP Student can make our impending nuptials all legal like.

It blew my mind that only one of us needed to be present to apply and then anybody can pick it up as long as they have the receipt. I wonder how common marriage fraud is in Michigan?

When I asked the clerk if I pay now or when I pick up the license her reply was, "You will be paying for the rest of your life!"

24 days and counting.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats!

Yes that sounds odd to only have on of you show up but hey you will get used to doing things for the wife
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Congratualtions!

We got married in CA. We signed for the license at the chapel, just before the ceremony. No application necessary!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Congratualtions!

We got married in CA. We signed for the license at the chapel, just before the ceremony. No application necessary!
    For $5 more we could have gotten it instantly without the application and three day waiting period. But hey, we're young and going to want to buy a house someday so we just saved that $5.

Incidently, I think the waiting period is longer for a marriage license in Michigan than it is for purchasing a pistol!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congratulations! This Bear raises a glass in a toast.....long life, happy marriage, smiling munchkins if you want a family. Congrats!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In Montana people can be married by proxy. The bride, groom or even both do not have to be present for the ceremony. Someone stands in for the missing party. There was a newspaper story recently of a couple, both out of the country doing tours of duty, getting married in Montana and two service people - a married couple - stood in for them.

My wife and I got married in Alaska. Filled out the marriage license at the courthouse and were married by a judge. My wife wanted to get married in the Catholic Church too, so about a year and a half later we took marriage classes and got married in the church. There is a lovely picture of the ceremony of my beautiful bride and I getting hitched by the priest. The matron of honor is holding our baby!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Congrats on this transition in your life.
    Satellite City Enabler

Congratulations to you and good luck to the future Mrs. WSU MUP Student.
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    When I asked the clerk if I pay now or when I pick up the license her reply was, "You will be paying for the rest of your life!"
    Smart clerk!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Congrats on your upcoming nuptials! (Was your hand shaking as much as mine was when I signed our application last fall? )

I am just glad FL quit requiring blood tests. A friend of mine nixed Puerto Rico as a potential site for a Caribbean wedding this summer because they still require blood tests.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Congrats on your upcoming nuptials! (Was your hand shaking as much as mine was when I signed our application last fall? )

I am just glad FL quit requiring blood tests. A friend of mine nixed Puerto Rico as a potential site for a Caribbean wedding this summer because they still require blood tests.
    Nope. I signed the application with a big smile on my face. I know we are doing what is right and cannot wait for it all to be official.

Michigan no longer requires blood tests either. I am indifferent to that though.

Registered
    May 2005
    The best part though is when you read through the parts that say "You can't be brother and sister, you can't be mom and son, etc. etc. That was amusing.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    So when is the actual wedding?

In Hawaii, we just needed $50 and photo IDs, no waiting period. But, we both had to be present.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Congratulations. I'm sorry.

Remember when the time comes, the correct response is I do. and not I do?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Statistics say that fifty percent of marriages end in divorce. The other fifty percent end in death.

In the coming years you will wonder, at different times, which is the more attractive proposition.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Mrs Katt went and got our license, (She has always been in charge)
    We met and a week later we got married and we have no regrets

I sincerely wish that your marriage is long and prosperous and you both enjoy your life together

Semper Fi

Registered
    Mar 2003
    First of all Congrats!!! Best Wishes and all that stuff!!

Interesting wedding story.... (No one should judge me on the basis of this story)

My mother once got married over the phone. She was marrying a man that was in jail at the time and the jailer would not let her and the preacher in to do the ceremony. So during phone visitation hours. He was one line at the jail. Mom and the preacher were on the phone at our house along with the two required witness's.
    And the answer is no, we didn't think it was the best idea, but there was something about them not being able to force her to testify against him if they were married.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Statistics say that fifty percent of marriages end in divorce. The other fifty percent end in death.

In the coming years you will wonder, at different times, which is the more attractive proposition.
    Off Topic:
    There is a 1970's Bahamian song by Eddie Minnis called Straighten Up And Fly RIght which he begins by dedicating to "All you who was in love, but who hates to remember it." It also has the lines (why I'm mentioning it at all):
    ... and promised
    To Death do us part.
    Go see the undertaker,
    I'll go see the lawyer,
    Let's compare the cost,
    Coffin or divorce!
    Back on topic, grats WSU MUP Student and better half
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Congratulations and best wishes!!!!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congrats and best wishes to you both.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    So when is the actual wedding?
    May 31st in historic Port Huron, MI... the "Boyhood Home of Thomas Edison!"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    May 31st in historic Port Huron, MI... the "Boyhood Home of Thomas Edison!"
    That's my sweetie's home town (he lives there).

While you're there, check out the Ship-Watching Station on the river.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    While you're there, check out the Ship-Watching Station on the river.
    I've been to the "Vantage Point" a few times... the little diner there sells the largest and most disgustingly great donuts I have ever had. My fiancée works within walking distance of the Vantage Point and goes down there occasionally - especially in the warmer months when they have a vendor out there selling french fries (with malt vinegar of course) and hot dogs and other traditional carnival food.

I grew up not too far from Port Huron and the fiancée grew up in the town and her parents and much of her family still live right there in the area. In my opinion, it's easily one of the most underrated cities in Southeastern Michigan with so much unrealized potential.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't be a Boat Nerd!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I've been to the "Vantage Point" a few times... a vendor out there selling french fries ... In my opinion, it's easily one of the most underrated cities in Southeastern Michigan with so much unrealized potential.
    That's what my sweetie says, along with other comments about short-sightedness and local politics. (Guess they can't have sidewalk cafes there? City officials invested in Twp land and sold it to The Mall so there's almost no retail in town?Recent turmoil involving the city manager giving 7 months' notice...on and on.)

He took me to The Raven cafe, which is a really cool place. http://www.ravencafeph.com/

Registered
    Mar 2007
    That's what my sweetie says, along with other comments about short-sightedness and local politics. (Guess they can't have sidewalk cafes there? City officials invested in Twp land and sold it to The Mall so there's almost no retail in town?Recent turmoil involving the city manager giving 7 months' notice...on and on.)
    I am thinking that the reason for such a long notice being given is that the CM is hoping that the mayor will be ousted somehow. I believe in Port Huron the mayor is appointed by the council and one council member has already resigned because of all the drama and there are a couple more who are up for re-election in November. I know many in the city (including some in positions of power and one prominent citizen with his name plastered all over everything good that is happening in town) are very un-happy with the mayor and I would not be surprised to see him gone before the City Manager is due to leave. If that happens, I expect the CM to remain in place.

We shall see how long the city can actually function once the City Clerk, who has been there 20+ years, is gone next month.

He took me to The Raven cafe, which is a really cool place. http://www.ravencafeph.com/
    As for the Raven, it's a great place. But my very favorite restaurant in town is Powers Hamburgers. It's like a classy version of White Castle!

Back to the topic of Weddings.... Does anybody have any advice for the following music selections that still need to be made?

Entrance song for the bridal party? (The bride and I will be coming in to Europe's, "The Final Countdown" and we are definitely open to humourous selctions)

Mother/Groom dance song? (I was thinking Guns N' Roses, "Sweet Child O' Mine" but we may want something shorter and something that can actually be danced to... of course, we could just look at each other and do the Axl Rose sway)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Oct 2008, 1:58 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Oct 2007, 5:06 PM
  3. Happy birthday yesterday?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Mar 2007, 7:40 PM
  4. Glad I filled up the tank yesterday