Urban planning community

Poll results: Are you coming to Stanfest?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 31.03%
  • No

11 37.93%
  • Maybe, I'll explain below

9 31.03%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who's coming to Stanfest

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    This is a tour (whole or parts) I plan to take people on. But see the parent thread in the link for what other's have suggested.
    Interesting tour you've got planned. Where did you want to start on the brown line (all the way north at Kimball or further south?). Sometimes, I wish that the brown line could be replaced with the Skokie Swift (a two stop rail line with a third rail) but that line is too far away from downtown.

I would also like to throw in a small detour on the Orange Line to see Chinatown.

Other more distant options could be Hyde Park, Pullman, and Prairie Avenue including the William Clarke House (I think you mentioned this but I forgot). There is also one interesting street near Wrigleyville called Altavista Terrace (it's really just a large alley with two carriage walks where one street front is the exact mirror image of the opposite street front). But hey, who's counting traffic getting there!!

You could also extend the trip further west to Oak Park on the Green Line, and just have stanfest at mendelman's

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I think that is a bit much L. I was thinking a simple Green south to like 35th then jump back northbound to a Brown north to like Fullerton than back to southbound to the Loop.

Then Green to Roosevelt, walk through the South Loop stuff to Prairie Avenue than back north to University Village or something.

I think the active redevelopment activities in University Village/Central Station/South Loop (with stop in Dearborn Park) is more interesting and instructive to planners than just a static late 19th century street like Altavista Terrace, but that's just my opinion.

Here's a quick rough map of my tour - mendelman Chicago tour - Stanfest 2008
    Last edited by mendelman; 28 May 2008 at 4:52 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I haven't seen Prairie Ave yet, so that would definitely be interesting.

Chinatown's actually on the red line. After having been to Vancouver, Chicago's Chinatown seems a bit lame, but then again the Indian neighborhood in Chicago is much more interesting than Vancouver's (although it would probably be a bit out of the way for our tour). That said Chinatown is certainly still worth seeing. Part of the problem, here from my perspective is the absence of merchandise spilling out onto the sidewalks. I'll have to post my photos here later.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Those were just suggestions, most of them are only reachable by a long trip on the EL or Metra, which wouldn't work. If you are going to "university village" which I call just plain "circle" I would recommend seeing whatever is left of Taylor Street which was mostly destroyed when University Village was created.

I would recommend Brown Line south to Lasalle, transfer to Blue Line/Forest Park Branch, get off at UIC/Halsted, see Circle then

1. Chinatown Option: Get on at UIC/Halsted, east to Lasalle, transfer to Red Line, south to 33rd to see Bronzeville/Comisky/IIT/whatever's left of Robert Taylor Homes and then turn around get off at Chinatown. The Red Line is in the middle of an expressway, but I think it's a somewhat safer option than the parallel Green Line. After Chinatown, take red line north to Harrisson, get off at Harrison and walk to the old Dearborn Street Station and Printers Row and see the Prairie bookstore. Mendleman, did you also want to tour Prairie Avenue? I think it might be off the beaten path, unless you want to go by bus.
    2. Restaurant District Option: Get on at UIC/Halsted, west to Polk, transfer to Pink Line north (will see redeveloped Randolph and Lake Streets which improved after the 1996 Democratic National Convention to the west, as well as a "glimpse" of Greek Town before heading back into the Loop, tranfer to red line at Lake Street. You will get to see the longest continuous subway platform in the world (Washington, Monroe, and Jackson), take the red line futher south to Harrison, get off at Harrison, and walk to the old Dearborn Street Station and Printers Row, and see the bookstore.

Get on at Harrison, take Red Line north to Lake, transfer to Brown Line north to Fullerton.

That's just my two cents

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think the University Village Mendleman is refering to is a development south of the campus along Halsted. Here's a link to the website: http://www.universityvillagechicago..../home?OpenForm

Its not terribly close to the orange or the blue line.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    That was my concern. Alot of this tour might involve heavy walking (a couple of miles over the course of a few hours) since many of the places are not "right near" a CTA stop.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There are of course bus routes on just about every major street in Chicago, but of course transferring between routes can eat up time. Truth be told biking is generally faster than transit, but I realize that a bike tour would probably be impracticle.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    That was my concern. Alot of this tour might involve heavy walking (a couple of miles over the course of a few hours)
    Exactly. It's not that much walking. The walking part of my tour is only about 5 miles, which is really nothing for walking in the City. The best way to see urban development/redevelopment is to see it on the ground. Seeing it from the L really isn't good enough.

But understand - we don't have to do all of it.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I just booked a private room at the Hostel, so I am in.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    I just booked a private room at the Hostel, so I am in.
    Great! It'll be cool to meet you in person
    Last edited by mendelman; 29 May 2008 at 12:45 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Sparing the details, due to some (good) news I received today, I will unfortunately have to hurry back from Chi right after the ACSP conference, thereby missing Stanfest :

However, I will be in Chicago (Lincoln Park) until Sat. morning if anyone is getting in Friday night and wants to grab a beer(s)?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    May 2003
    Alas, for the first time since inception I will not be able to attend StanFest. I will be traveling back home to Cedar Rapids IA to spend time with family and inspect the damage. Dang, it looks like you all will have a great time.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    As Stanfest is quick approaching, I figure we should probably be working on the details at this point. I believe we were meeting in the early afternoon since that worked out for the people taking the South Shore train. I know others will be taking Metra, the CTA, or driving so we should probably figure out a central locale to meet. Union Station, Ogilvie, and Millenium Stations are all at different parts of downtown so perhaps somewhere in the middle?

Also, I know we had a head count earlier but of course as the date draws closer people have change of plans. As of know it looks like we'll meet up in the early afternoon, take a walking/CTA tour, and then retreat to an establishment specializing in adult beverages. I know Goose Island was mentioned earlier and that seems like as good a bet as any. I don't remember the noise level to be that bad when I was there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Goose Island jacked up their prices, and their service has also gone downhill. Off-hand I can't think of other places off the top of my head.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Goose Island jacked up their prices, and their service has also gone downhill. Off-hand I can't think of other places off the top of my head.
    What say the locals - are there any other suitable brewpubs in Chicagoland that aren't screamingly expensive, have good service, and don't sound like a stadium on the inside? I think the reason Goose Island jacked their prices is because the cost of hops has nearly doubled in the last year. I would imagine all brewpubs have increased their prices.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What say the locals...
    I'm not a beer drinker, but I think I could look for some suitable places in or around the Loop (for convenience sake).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'd suggest Jak's Tap in the west loop, although I don't think they are all that cheap. The noise level shouldn't be too bad, although I've mainly gone there during the week. The place is practically deserted by 11:00 during a weeknight.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I'd suggest Jak's Tap in the west loop...
    What is the address?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    901 W. Jackson, Jackson and Peoria (its a block from the planning dept. at UIC)

Registered
    May 2003
    Or....

Kasey's Tavern in Printer's Row
    Kitty O'Shea's at 720 S. Michigan
    The Congress Lounge in the Congress Hotel

Or any others on this list.

I think sticking with something in the near South Loop would be preferable, due to access for those staying in and around downtown.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    What about Miller's Pub?

Registered
    May 2003
    What about Miller's Pub?
    What about it? Where is it, etc? Please...we need to provide more details with the suggestions.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    What about it? Where is it, etc? Please...we need to provide more details with the suggestions.
    Not sure if you've heard of Yelp.com but it has user written reviews for just about every establishment in the Chicago area. From what I gather Miller's Pub is an old school steakhouse that hasn't changed much for the past fifty years located on Wabash in the loop.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Not sure if you've heard of Yelp.com but it has user written reviews for just about every establishment in the Chicago area. From what I gather Miller's Pub is an old school steakhouse that hasn't changed much for the past fifty years located on Wabash in the loop.
    Yes....I know that one. But I'm leaning toward something in the South Loop. I kind of have an affinity for the South Loop.

But we certainly don't have to go to just one place.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It sucks that I'll be 1.75 hours south of all the laefest action at my wife's cousin's wedding on July 12. Perhaps there will be some particpants who will still be in Chicago on Sunday, the 13th?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Stanfest '10
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 108
    Last post: 11 Aug 2010, 11:03 AM
  2. StanFest 09
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 06 Feb 2009, 11:08 AM