Urban planning community

Poll results: Are you coming to Stanfest?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 31.03%
  • No

11 37.93%
  • Maybe, I'll explain below

9 31.03%
+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Who's coming to Stanfest

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'll probably be coming in on the Metra and arrive at Ogilvie, and then go back home on the train afterwards. Where are we meeting? I think Millennium Park was discussed earlier, but I'm not sure if that's the most convenient meeting spot.

As far as a bar, I don't have a whole lot of experience with downtown bars. I will say that the only kind of beer I like is Bud Light/Miller Lite/Coors Light, etc. I'm more of a Jack & Coke/Captain & Coke drinker. Also, I prefer a relaxed, casual atmosphere such as townie bars, sports bars, pubs, etc. Not any place where you have to dress up where they play annoying techno music.

Also, is the Bear still coming for sure? I need to know if I should bring my fake city along.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm not sure all who's coming and where they will be arriving. I live in Lakeview so it doesn't really matter to me. Mendelman lives nearby so he'll probably take the el, Nrschmid said he lived in a western burb so I'd assume that would mean Union Station, Maister and M'skis said they'll take the South Shore arriving at Millenium Station,and Bear will be driving although I'm not sure where he'll be staying/parking. I'm tempted based on the above to meet at the Picasso at Daley Plaza as offhand it seems like a decent intermediate location and as a benefit he wouldn't be waiting around in the inevitable horde of tourists at the bean/Millenium Park.

I have no idea how large your fake city is but I personally wouldn't want to carry anything that wouldn't easily fit in a back pack. Of course you know best how transportable it is...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Will be coming to town at Ogilive. Daley Plaza works. Maybe someone should make a huge poster for stanfest.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Agreed. Daley Plaza (at Washington/Dearborn/Clark) in front of the Picasso is the best spot.

I'll coming in on the Green line, so I'll be getting off at the Thompson Center.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Bear & Katie

This Bear and "smarter than the average bear" Katie will be joining the Stanago 08 crowd. Some thoughts and details.....

Even though it would be fun to share our hand-drawn creations and it would be great to see the creations of others, it is the logical choice to not bring along the fake cities. It was relatively easy for me to bring a sample of De Noc to the first Stanzoo, because the parking lot was a hundred feet from the beer party...er.....professional planning and those interested in planning fest. It would not be an easy chore in Chicago.

Katie and I plan to drive to the O'Hare area, grab a motel room, and take a train into downtown Chicago.

Unfortunately, because of my lung issue (excessive wheezing, dang chemo) we will not go on the walking tour (or at least not on the entire tour). We will grab a cell phone number from a walker OR just agree on when and where to meet again and.......meet again, after your walking tour.

Looking forward to sitting down with the Stangang, exchanging pleasantries, and (perhaps) having a cocktail or two.

In the next week or so we all need to discuss the meet time. (Is Daley Plaza in the Financial District? Oh, I can look it up.)

Counting the days.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This Bear and "smarter than the average bear" Katie will be joining the Stanago 08 crowd. Some thoughts and details.....

Even though it would be fun to share our hand-drawn creations and it would be great to see the creations of others, it is the logical choice to not bring along the fake cities. It was relatively easy for me to bring a sample of De Noc to the first Stanzoo, because the parking lot was a hundred feet from the beer party...er.....professional planning and those interested in planning fest. It would not be an easy chore in Chicago.

Katie and I plan to drive to the O'Hare area, grab a motel room, and take a train into downtown Chicago.

Unfortunately, because of my lung issue (excessive wheezing, dang chemo) we will not go on the walking tour (or at least not on the entire tour). We will grab a cell phone number from a walker OR just agree on when and where to meet again and.......meet again, after your walking tour.

Looking forward to sitting down with the Stangang, exchanging pleasantries, and (perhaps) having a cocktail or two.

In the next week or so we all need to discuss the meet time. (Is Daley Plaza in the Financial District? Oh, I can look it up.)

Counting the days.....

Bear
    Bear, since you are staying near O'Hare you'll want to grab the blue line at either Rosemont or Cumberland. Both I believe have park and ride schemes (although both do cost a bit of money). You'll then want to alight at the Washington station and you'll be right there. Google maps has a new feature that allows one to choose public transportation instructions as oppossed to driving directions.

I think before I said we'll meet up at 1:00. Others please post which time your train will be coming in so we can agree on a meeting time that works best for all. I'll PM everyone my mobile number as the date gets closer.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    My train arrives at Ogilvie Transportation Center at 12:23. It's about 6 blocks from Daley Center. So 1:00pm works for me. If we need to change the time for others though, I'm flexible. I can always pick a different train or tool around Ogilvie.

For other people using Metra trains or the South Shore Line, check which downtown station your train arrives at, as there are several.

Distances to Daley Plaza from other Metra arrival stations are as follows: The LaSalle Street Station is about 6 blocks, the Van Buren Station is about 7 blocks, Union Station is about 8 blocks, and the Millennium Station is about 3 blocks.

The Blue Line Washington Street Station on the CTA lets off basically right in front of the Daley Center, which is good for Bear and anyone else coming in on the CTA Blue Line. Don't confuse this with the Red Line Washington Street station, which is closed for repairs. If someone is using the Red Line, get off at the Lake Street station instead.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am hanging out with some buddies Sat night, so I will probably park up in Lincoln Park and take the 'el down. Let me know what time everyone wants to meet at Daley Plaza.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am about 99% certain that I will be able to make it. Just need time/place info.

Mike

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I am about 99% certain that I will be able to make it. Just need time/place info.

Mike
    See this thread.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    What is it with Stanfest and heat... I just checked and it will be pushing 90 degrees in Chi-town! (No Redwings hat for me)
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Stanfest '10
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 108
    Last post: 11 Aug 2010, 10:03 AM
  2. StanFest 09
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 06 Feb 2009, 10:08 AM
  3. Stanfest Boat Tour, Who's coming