Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: In Praise of the Mods and Rules.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

In Praise of the Mods and Rules.

Many of us that frequent the Cyburbia forums also frequent other online forums. One thing that I have noticed as a large difference between Cyburbia and others are the tight rules.
    I was struck by this fact today as I read in another forum (music related) a thread dedicated to those who have changed their usernames, some of them more than once. Within this forum and others, I have also noticed a large amount of photos in the signature, some of them animated; rampant low-content posts (including many with just a link to a relevant article or photo); and many "increase your post count" type-threads where the user is encouraged to post a number or word designed to raise the count under their user name.
    When I first started posting here, some of these rules were frustrating and I have read many who have felt that such rules were created in the name of "over-moderation" by a zealous admin staff. Well, as I get more experience in cyberspace, I realized that the clean posting environment (visually and verbally)and professionalism exhibited by the Cyburbia staff make this a great place to call "home."
    Plus, gaining "Clube" status here is something that folks work very hard to get.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Good thread Zman. I only participate in one other forum, a music related one that is also blessed with a moderator who is quick to warn and then banish offenders. Information is freely exchanged along with humor and passionate defenses of indefensible things but no one is allowed to abuse people or the forum for very long. That's the way it is here too and I appreciate it.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    If nothing else, Zman deserves an award for the longest freaking sentence/thought in Cyburbia history. My head about twisted off my neck reading that one. And I'm still not sure what I read.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    And so to put it simply -
    Zman is happy with the way things are run here.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I agree with the Z (and with ZG, )

I will get my membership soon too - I just like that cool symbol design thingy...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm only registered on one other forum. Rarely log in and even less rarely to post. It's a "clunky" place, if you know what I mean. Lots of worthless posts...kinda like this one.

I like it here. Your house, your rules. No complaints from me.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Thanks for your comments! I'm sure the mods appreciate them. On many forums, the moderators are usually subject to a lot of snark and sass; why they want to be in that position, I don't know.

One problem on sites with few rules is that there's often still a number of unwritten rules and customs. As a result, moderation isn't fair or equitable, especially towards newbies or those outside of a certain clique.

A lot of inspiration for how this site is administered came from the Straight Dope Message Board, the first big message board -- other than the pre-vBulletin Cyburbia Cafe -- that I joined. The SDMB has an adult vibe, in part to the older member base and their rules. They're looser on some rules than we are, we're looser than them in some cases, but on Cyburbia there's a lot more user privileges and features.

If you have any suggestions, we always have an open ear. Don;t let this be the end of the thread; I'm sure the mods want to hear more.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm sure probably one of the reasons why this forum has stricter rules (which really aren't that strict), is because it is a more professional forum. I'm only on one other board now (a music/fan club one), and since it's more of a place to goof off on, the rules slide. The traffic on the other forum is much higher than this one and people come and go more frequently. However, they only have one or two mods to keep a handle on things, which is too much for one or two people to deal with. As a result, people get away with post padding, fighting, spam, and creating twenty threads on the same topic...things which are immediately remedied on here, thanks to the hard work of more mods. I'm sure some probably think of it as stacking it too high with mods, but on a professional site like this that wants to be taken seriously, it is imperative to have enough mods to keep things in order.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Gushing praise and heaping blame
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 04 Feb 2009, 8:29 AM
  2. In praise of...Bear Up North
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 12 Oct 2004, 12:38 AM