Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Candy Sale Banned to Minors

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Candy Sale Banned to Minors

I thought this was a joke, especially with the Representative's name who introduced the bill, but I guess it is true. Bubba, Plan-it, Broockton, what really goes on in Atlanta???

ATLANTA -- Georgia retailers soon will be banned from selling candy flavored to taste like marijuana to children.

Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue signed a measure into law Wednesday that bans the sale of "marijuana flavored products" to minors -- anyone under 18 -- and calls for a fine of up to $500 for each offense.

The measure takes effect July 1st.

It targets businesses that sell the candies with drug-inspired names such as "Kronic Kandy" and "Pot Suckers."

The law says the candies promote drug use.

Senator Doug Stoner pushed the bill in the senate. "I don't think that folks are aware this is going on," Stoner told Channel 2 in April. "It's mainly, from what I can tell, particularly targeted to minority communities."

State Representative Judy Manning said she was shocked to receive death threats over the bill to ban the candy. "Some people think their rights are their rights," she said.

Manning said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation traced her e-mail threat to Great Britain. “You just deal with those kinds of folks and do the best you can. But it sends the wrong kind of message to kids.”

Vote Hemp, a national organization that promotes the use of hemp products and tracks legislation, says the measure would make Georgia the first state to ban the sale of the candy to minors.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/16186311/detail.html
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ugh. The legislature (and Sonny) were beyond retarded this year. Stoner is the state senator from "the district next door". We can't manage to get Sunday package sales, but we get crap bills like this one signed into law...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Maybe I'm turning into an old-fogey parent, but that does seem like a reasonable public health concern to me. I don't think a convenience store should have the option of selling marijuana flavored candy to 12 year olds.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

Senator Doug Stoner pushed the bill in the senate.

Oh, the irony...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    Maybe I'm turning into an old-fogey parent, but that does seem like a reasonable public health concern to me. I don't think a convenience store should have the option of selling marijuana flavored candy to 12 year olds.
    But if it's not actually marijuana, I don't see a problem. Prude legislation.

And Seabishop - yes you are an old-fogey.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Can't imagine that marijuana flavored candy would be very appealing. Of course, I never chewed the stuff so maybe I'm being mislead by the smoke smell. Hey, maybe Bill Clinton chewed AND swallowed? That would explain a lot.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Can't imagine that marijuana flavored candy would be very appealing. Of course, I never chewed the stuff so maybe I'm being mislead by the smoke smell.
    Two words: bong water...

Not that I would know anything about that.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What next? Banning the sale of 'High Times'? This is clearly all Bubba's fault!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

STONER???

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What next? Banning the sale of 'High Times'? This is clearly all Bubba's fault!

Eh, with my youthful good looks, it's just one more thing I would get carded for...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Lads, be glad that the Nanny State is doing its best to protect us.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Sometimes I hate living in Georgia!

We have so many other issues to deal with and they have their panties in a wad over candy and sunday sales. Heaven forbid someone having the ability to purchase alcohol on sunday.

Of course, the small towns here in Georgia are even worse. Many of them had the option of doing away with their dry status last voting session. The local churches got their congregations stirred up and started talking about how many more drunk drivers would be on the roads in the community, not to mention a dramatic increase in alcoholics! Oh, the horror of it all. Good christians came out in droves to protect people from themselves and prevent the devil's drink from coming to their county. They conveniently forget about the good old border hop. The fun part is catching one of the good preachers across the line purchasing some brew for themselves.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Aug 2005
    ...And what kills me about the whole Sunday package sales issue is that Sonny et al. aren't just blocking Sunday sales - they're blocking letting the public vote on whether or not to allow Sunday sales...because they're the gubermint and they know what's best for us.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    But if it's not actually marijuana, I don't see a problem. Prude legislation.

And Seabishop - yes you are an old-fogey.
    Then you will all welcome my new product called Coke-Ain made out of sugar which can be snorted by children of all ages. It will come with a plastic mirror and fake dollar bill.

Remember if Big Tobacco starts rolling out Joe Camel candy cigarettes they would be villified (rightly so) and cigarettes are a legal product.

This is fun! I want to be a Family Values politician!!!

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I thought Sonny was a "keep government off our backs" Republican. Sure didn't want to tell people that they had to plan for water use.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Oct 2012, 12:22 PM
  2. Easter Candy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 6:00 PM
  3. Minors and Majors
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Dec 2006, 10:48 AM