Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Advice/help: Has anyone had luck with a headhunter or job service?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

Advice/help: Has anyone had luck with a headhunter or job service?

Are there local organization I can give my Resume, to aid in my job search. I need to relocate and I am having trouble finding open jobs in my new area.

Other than the job boards and Monster.com's I am hoping their is a organization I can pay to look for jobs for me based on my credentials?

Do organizations like these exist? Has anyone had any experience with these? I have done some web searches and havnt been able to come up with any in my area.. Thanks

wv06

Registered
    Oct 2007
    I tried a headhunter/job service while I was looking for my first planning job. They really had very little understanding of what I was looking for, and gave me precisely zero for the outlay they received.

Your best bet would be to work the professional organizations and job boards on Planetizen, APA, and here.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    This is not a headhunter per se, but they seem to have planner gigs:
    http://www.civilengineeringcentral.c...FQWVFQodsmL03g

(stumbled across it this week)

There are many more similar outfits. Don't pay them; use a head-hunter that's compensated by the employer.

HTH

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Any job agency or headhunter is a waste of your time and money. Their main customer is the potential employer, not the jobseeker.

The majority of the country does not even know what a planner is, and they often confuse us with financial planners, event planners, wedding planners. etc.

Scour the want-ads through APA chapters, planning.org, here, and planetizen for starters. Try to do as much networking as possible and read through some older posts on here about how to job search. No, it's not easy, but because this profession is so damn small it's up to you to do you homework to get the job.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Any job agency or headhunter is a waste of your time and money. Their main customer is the potential employer, not the jobseeker.

The majority of the country does not even know what a planner is, and they often confuse us with financial planners, event planners, wedding planners. etc.

Scour the want-ads through APA chapters, planning.org, here, and planetizen for starters. Try to do as much networking as possible and read through some older posts on here about how to job search. No, it's not easy, but because this profession is so damn small it's up to you to do you homework to get the job.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I got one LA job through the company's own recruiter contacting me. He was quite the salesman. Another time I had a recruiter refer me to a job that I ended up getting an offer on. The owner decided not to tell them that he hired me so he wouldn't have to pay the referral fee. He thought their fee was exorbitant. I would never use a service that required me to pay anything. The jobs they list can often be found on other websites or on company's own sites. Just put in your time and you can find them.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater View post
    I got one LA job through the company's own recruiter contacting me. He was quite the salesman. Another time I had a recruiter refer me to a job that I ended up getting an offer on. The owner decided not to tell them that he hired me so he wouldn't have to pay the referral fee. He thought their fee was exorbitant. I would never use a service that required me to pay anything. The jobs they list can often be found on other websites or on company's own sites. Just put in your time and you can find them.
    Yea, thanks for the help everyone..
    I have trouble putting in too much time due to my current job but I will keep at the job boards. Besides the obviously planner job boards and sites (APA, here and planetizen) sometimes I have trouble finding "Planning" jobs or jobs I am qualified for.

Often times a Land-use planning, urban planning, comprehensive planning search will come up with some time of event or finical planning.

And when I search for jobs by my degrees. Geography & Urban and Regional Planning nothing will come up as well

So either a majority of the widely used job sites donít have many jobs for us Planners or I need tips on how to navigate the sites.

APA, here and Planetizen cant help me as much as I like when I need to relocate to a certain area. Its just the luck of the day if I job is posted in the area I need

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

search strings

Quote Originally posted by wv06 View post
    Yea, thanks for the help everyone..
    ...Often times a Land-use planning, urban planning, comprehensive planning search will come up with some time of event or finical planning.
    Search on zoning, city, county, township along with the p-word. Some sites let you subtract words like financial, health, or marketing.

HTH

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 30 Jan 2015, 10:26 AM
  2. Is 1313 bad luck?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Jun 2011, 12:04 PM
  3. Any luck for an Ivy League?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 14