Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job prospects in Raleigh-Durham?

Registered
    Mar 2008

Job prospects in Raleigh-Durham?

Does anyone know about the job prospects for planners in this region? Also, does anyone know about or have advice on internships for folks who already have degrees?

I posted some of this earlier under "Need Help," but basically I'm unemployable in the DC area. I graduated with a MURPL in Dec 2006 and have had 13 unsuccessful job interviews. Finally, a very helpful human resources worker explained that without experience, I was not even qualified for a planner technician job in his county. This position only requires an associates degree (but does require experience).

What's put me in a pickle is that I need to earn more than child care costs, because we're out of savings (extended unemployment does that). But in Raleigh, we can live on my wife's income while I work for free to get experience. I'm not stuck on this area, but it does seem to fit the bill for a lower cost of living while still offering job prospects, but I need to know the latter for sure. So if anyone knows if hiring freezes are coming or if it's a very bad area to get started, I could really use this information. For reasons that I haven't determined yet, Charlotte seems to have few jobs in planning right now. One other thing, there is a MURP program in Raleigh. If taking more classes would help, I can have that option (though schooling doesn't seem to be the answer). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Registered
    Jul 2007

Raleigh-bound

While I am not entirely sure about the regional outlook, I think things are pretty good in that area, since I just got a job in the area from out of state. There were many jobs posted in the area for newly-minted master's degree holders that I applied for (although I come with some experience). Someone on this board posts up all the North Carolina jobs, but I would also look at the North Carolina APA site, seemed to have more than the national APA.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2002
    You could also try the Jobs Listings maintained by the Department of City & Regional Planning (DCRP) at UNC Chapel Hill. They aren't all local jobs, but it's a start, and there might be internships available.

http://dcrpjobs.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Thanks. It might have taken me a while to discover that one. And thanks Beach Bum. If you know anything about the city/county budgets, could you let me know? That is, are they having cuts or is it business as usual, etc.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    there has been some internship posted on the NC Plan listserve. Here is some information it.

http://www.sog.unc.edu/organizations.../listserv.html

I recall a posting by one of the municipalities in Wake County posted recently. I would say cold call Holly Springs, Apex, Wendell, Cary, Rolesville, and Morrisville. They may have funding for a position but are not advertising right now.

Good Luck

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Guy905 View post
    Thanks. It might have taken me a while to discover that one. And thanks Beach Bum. If you know anything about the city/county budgets, could you let me know? That is, are they having cuts or is it business as usual, etc.
    Not too sure about that, but the muni I got a job with was hiring another planner in a more specialized area of planning (sorry for the vagueness, just don't want to advertise exactly where I got the job). My general impression of the area is that it is growing, therefore, places are hiring and people are moving around. To be honest, I applied for many jobs in the area because I had heard how much it was growing and thought it would be a good place to start a career.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi there from Raleigh-Durham
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 Mar 2008, 6:44 PM
  2. Raleigh/Durham, NC area
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 1:36 PM
  3. New from Raleigh