• Who cares!

7 28.00%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Detox: Myth or Fact?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Detox: Myth or Fact?

Water and honey detox, sweat detox, brown rice detox., foot bath detox... detox tea... does any of this stuff actually work?

I saw an advertisement for an foot bath where they use some type of electrical current to detox the body. Allegedly the water will turn a brown or greenish brown, and even a black color as the toxins are pulled out of the body and into the water.

I am up in the air about the idea of detox. I have no down that we consume quite a bit in the way of toxins in our body, but are these detox treatments actually helping or is it just some gimmick?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    If the toxins are water soulable then yeah, if the toxins are fat soulable I believe there may be stuff that binds with the toxins and removes them but I am sure there is no easy one thing to do or take that clears the system in its entirety of toxins.

I think time and removing the scource of the toxin is the only way to thouroughly eliminate it.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't disagree with the principle behind detoxification, but I'm not aware of any scientific studies done to measure or verify effects- which doesn't automatically invalidate it, but bumps it up two notches on the Cause to be Skeptical scale. I've only heard anectdotal evidence so far, so my personal jury has not yet rendered a final decision.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Beer. Full of delicious alcohol.

Actually, I feel that sometimes there are things people can do to initiate detoxification; however, I believe that is mainly through a placebo effect on the mind (which controls the way the body feels).

I find that drinking nothing but water helps me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    There is a detox that Anthony Robbins is always talking about where you eat nothing but greens, almonds, and drink wheat grass juice for a week. He claimed that he could see a change in the cells in the blood.

Does anyone think that you could turn your health around in a week by eating a particular way?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Toxins are good for you. They help build up your immunity system, and make you RUGGED!. That which does not kill you only makes you stronger.

Seriously, a detox thread on Cyburbia? I'm waiting for the aromatherapy, homeopathic medicine and crystal rubbing threads.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes!

dude.......My favorite are those magnetic pads you wear under your socks during the day that pick up all those "negative" vibes.......man.........

I think anytime you make a drastic change in your diet or exercise more.....that will create a detox effect that may or may not make you feel better. Evidence suggests it may send you in the opposite direction. If you eat a lot and sleep a lot...you feel happy.....you stop eating those comfort foods and sleep less....maybe not so happy anymore.....but dang it, you lost 10 Lbs and and got a promotion at work......
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I can't imagine that one week or a month of some activity can make up for years of bad living or eating. I do think that there are certain products that should be taken in moderation and some that should outright be avoided and also some that do good. But to reverse those effects would take probably as long as it took to get toxified.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm afraid that if I successfully detox, my liver and all the other organs that are supposed to do that work will atrophy from lack of use and kill me in the process. I don't want people thinking that I look healthier dead than alive.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Has anyone tried those 4- to 8-week programs you can get from GNC? Just wondering. I'm thinking that might give your organs time to adjust to lower funcioning levels. I guess these programs don't completely detox your whole body, but they claim to work wonders on your digestive system and circulatory system.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Probably there is no magic detox pill. But eating your fruits and veggies and oatmeal and not eating bad stuff will probably be a natural detox.

I guess if Ron and Nancy didn't do it, it's some weird voodoo thing?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Junk Science.

I just wanted to say that.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW
    Question for RJ - does soaking in the hottub help detox you ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    SAW
    Question for RJ - does soaking in the hottub help detox you ?
    Not in and of itself. Rather, it's teh synergy of teh water and teh wine.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I read someplace that in Scientology, they have to do this intensive detox program from time to time to cleanse the body. Kind of like how Catholic’s go to confession, Scientologists do detox.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I guess if Ron and Nancy didn't do it, it's some weird voodoo thing?
    Reagan? Did I miss something?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Reagan? Did I miss something?
    You were probably a little young to remember, but the former occupants of the West Wing (aka Ron & Nancy) dabbled in the occult.....worshipped at the altar of Baalzebub..... probably performed a few sacrifice rituals too

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Water and honey detox, sweat detox, brown rice detox., foot bath detox... detox tea... does any of this stuff actually work?

I saw an advertisement for an foot bath where they use some type of electrical current to detox the body. Allegedly the water will turn a brown or greenish brown, and even a black color as the toxins are pulled out of the body and into the water.

I am up in the air about the idea of detox. I have no down that we consume quite a bit in the way of toxins in our body, but are these detox treatments actually helping or is it just some gimmick?
    I know of thousands of people detoxing themselves of their children or both. Most of them have pretty contemptuous opinions of things like foot baths. You can remove toxins from the body but it's generally not as simple is soaking your feet in some concoction. Removing toxins from my system (and lifestyle) is one of the things I have spent the last several years doing as part of my effort to heal when doctors claim it's not possible for me to get well.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Zero lot line myth debunking
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 28 Apr 2009, 8:00 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 10:09 AM
  3. Sidewalks after the fact
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Oct 2006, 8:00 PM