Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Portland State

Registered
    May 2008

Portland State

Did anyone go to PS or is anyone familiar with their program? I'm planning to transfer from a community college to a planning undergrad program and I've been looking at them pretty seriously.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    PSU doesn't actually have an undergrad planning program. We do have a Community Development major (which I'm currently enrolled in) within the School of Urban Studies and Planning, as well as Real Estate Development and Sustainable Urban Development minors. The CD curriculum isn't really that rigorous, but it does provide a good foundation for understanding planning issues in addition to field experience through the year-long community development colloquium. You'll get to take some classes from professors who also teach graduate planning courses, although you really have to make an effort to get to know your professors and take advantage of the available resources (something I didn't do so much of). That's probably one of the best parts of studying at PSU - the abundance of internship and volunteer opportunities in the area.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    I think the Community Development program at PSU is underrated by most of the students in the program. Objectively, it's not especially difficult, but if you look at the caliber of students who graduate from the program, I think they compare well to others majors at other universities.

The plus side of the program is that it is a functional degree if you end your studies with a bachelors, but it also does a great job (certainly for me) of preparing you for a graduate program.

Registered
    May 2008

Current student

I'm currently enrolled in PSU's Community Development undergrad program. I've found it to be very rewarding, but the previous posters made good points: the CD curriculum does not itself enlighten students through osmosis... You'll get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you decide to pursue the program, just be sure not to underestimate the amount of time you'll need to devote to the colloquium field project. Just a couple of weeks left for mine, and it seems like there's so much left to do! Good luck!

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I don't mean to knock the program. Perhaps I just feel a bit underchallenged compared to, say, engineering students. I've definitely enjoyed the courses I've taken over the years. You'll be hard pressed to find the breadth of planning-related courses offered here at most other universities, plus the faculty have a wealth of experience that really enhances the classroom experience. There are CD graduates doing cool work all around Portland.

Registered
    May 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 9:03 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Mar 2013, 4:39 PM
  3. Columbia and Portland State
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3