Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My chances in the planning field

Registered
    May 2008

My chances in the planning field

Hi everyone,
    I am a college sophomore going for a bachelor's in History/Historic preservation and an associates in civil engineering technology. I have become very interested in the planning field and was wondering if my majors would be good(compatible) with the planning field(as a graduate degree). Any advice, ideas, ect. would be most welcome.
    Thanks for your time,
    Ryan21

Sure. I had a BA in History and added an MSHP with a cognate in urban planning. I start my 20th year in July and am now the Assistant Director.

Registered
    May 2008
    Thanks for the info. It is very good to hear from someone who has a history degree and is successful in the planning field. thanks again.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Planning is compatible with many degree types, especially in the social sciences. I was poly sci...if you do a search on these boards I believe there is a thread that is dedicated to what was your undergraduate degree! You will also find a wide range of undergraduate degrees in any graduate program. Best of luck.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2008
    Thanks a lot. That is good to know. It is good to see a field that takes many different inputs and disciplines. Thanks again!
    - Ryan21

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

Preservation Planning

I think you'll find that there is a bit of a demand for Historic Preservation Planners. Because of the Certified Local Government program, larger cities that have substantial historic districts often look for a planner who can administer the Historic Preservation Ordinance, communicate with the SHPO, and look at rehabilitation plans to see if they meet the Secretary of the Interior's Standards.

In some cities this position may focus solely on Historic Preservation, in smaller departments you will also be expected to perform other duties as well. If you really have a passion for historic structures, working in a planning department can be a great way to make sure that preservation gets incorporated into the comprehensive plan. The administrative/enforcement side can be a pain though. Of course, there will always be a group who think that preservation work is more expensive (and sometimes it is, but there are tax credits!) and in planning you will always find the "this is my property and I'll do whatever the heck I want with it" types.

I think that with your history background and your civil engineering knowledge, you could go into the planning field easily. In certain parts of the country *ahem, Kansas* there is also a strong need for consultants who can guide people through the National Register Nomination, state, and federal tax credit process. If civil engineering is a strong interest, you could go this route and get more involved in the rehabilitation/preservation of historic structures.

Registered
    May 2008
    Thanks for the comment.As of right now historic preservation seems like the way i am going. It seems that with the Green push historic preservation should get stronger with its emphasis on sustainability.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 21 Feb 2011, 9:34 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Jan 2010, 11:05 PM
  3. Getting into the planning field
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 May 2009, 9:47 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jul 2007, 10:39 AM