Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING getting old thread

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Part of an email my dad sent me. Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    my favorite getting old lines:

If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
    The key to being old is to find a chronic condition you can live with...

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Anybody else have a cardiac ultrasound ?
    Here is the dollar word (another thread) - Echocardiogram.

When you turn 50 there is the "right of passage" test.
    I had one. It was kind of weird to watch the monitor with my heart on it. Every time it would beat and then look like it stopped I was like (Oh no! my heart stopped beating!!!) and then it would beat again and then stop and I would go (Oh no my heart stopped beating!!!).

I'm 30 and I feel old.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Ears

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Say again?
    Oh yea, I got that, too. In my left ear as a result of the accident. 30 years of "say again."
    Tinnitus is a chronic ringing in the ears, often worsened by flourescent lights and dial tones and bee hives and lawn mowers. I've had it probably half my life...when I'm awake there's a radio playing (NPR!!). And I leave the lights off in my office.

Presbycusis is the fancy word for hearing loss due to aging. I have some of that, too.

Bicycle repair, sewing, other detail work were a lot easier when my specs were single vision.

No other big complaints other than the torn ACL, a bit of arthritis, and a tendency to want an afternoon map.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've had two cardiac stress tests, due to a dumb-a$$ family doc who wouldn't believe me that it was all stress/anxiety stuff. Two days of tests, each time, and the weenie little cardiologist said I was in fantastic shape (for my age, of course). I drink, I smoke, he was shocked. "If I didn't know better... I would think you were a 'weekend warrior'"! They had me on a treadmill and kept asking "Um, aren't you tired yet?". Nope. I may not have a regimented exercise program, but I'm not a couch potato either.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    After two consecutive days of golf, my left hip aches, my back hurts, and my right elbow is throbbing.
    I'm a mess....but I'm still strikingly handsome in a rugged kinda way. So I got that going for me.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    After two consecutive days of golf, my left hip aches, my back hurts, and my right elbow is throbbing.
    SAW
    Take two bottles of wine, a long soak in the hottub and don't call me handsome ever.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    ..... and don't call me handsome ever.
    Off-topic:
    I've met you in real life. I promise never, ever to go there, buddy.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm a mess....but I'm still strikingly handsome in a rugged kinda way. So I got that going for me.
    Gee, all those elderly aches and pains didn't stop you from having a nice snooze by the pool this afternoon. Or flipping that omelet pan around like the chef at the country club...

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

I forgot...

Processing speed, HD capacity, and RAM have all greatly diminished. I hate that. It's real inconvenient when I'm listening to a lecture or description of anything. MUCH better with written words and reading information. And don't ask me to remember your name. Please hand me a business card.

Every day I am thankful that I learned many critical tasks and concepts early on, as they are further down the stack, thus less likely to overflow out the top. These include reading music, calling a square dance, sewing, craft projects, other manual dexterity or brain activities.

The fact that I forgot about all of this whilst making my earlier post is just one more symptom.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    In the past three days I've had an insurance claim rejected for being for a pre-existing condition, pulled a lower back muscle while turning and lifting a heavy item, and pulled an upper back muscle on the same side while mowing the lawn and trying to compensate for the lower back.

I never used to have pre-existing conditions, I could lift and turn all day, I never hurt myself mowing the lawn. But I did manage to get a year older this weekend despite all that. I can hardly wait for my next birthday (sarcasm intended).
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Had my first eye exam in many years yesterday. I am now required to join ther bifocal club. Or maybe it should be the BIFOCAL/BIFOCAL club.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Had my first eye exam in many years yesterday. I am now required to join ther bifocal club. Or maybe it should be the BIFOCAL/BIFOCAL club.
    Yep - I think I'm next in line to join that club. It's become harder for me to transition between up-close reading and watching TV. I have to hold small print at a distance to read it.

The "no line" bifocals are apparently quite expensive. My husband just had his lenses replaced in a pair of existing frames, and it was nearly $300.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have been a member of that club for several years now.
    Spent the money for no-lines.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2000

- In the last couple of years, my smile lines started permanent residence
    - I can no longer spend a day walking/standing in bare feet, because it hurts my back and legs too much.
    - the gray hairs are popping up

that said - I feel pretty good. The ever-present fatigue isn't from age, its from having 3 preschoolers. I log 15-20 miles running each week. I can still do front and back flips off the diving board. Its been 5 years since I was carded for lotto tickets, but that's ok.

One thing that was difficult for me to come to grips with was deciding we're done overpopulating the earth - realizing that I'll never carry another baby, or nurse again - that was a bit of a hurdle. But it isn't as though I ever enjoyed being pregnant anyway. *eye roll*

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have an eye exam appointment next week. For years I wore glasses then switched to contact lenses. Wore the contacts for about three years and discovered my distance vision had improved to the point where I only needed reading glasses. Now after three years, they're getting worse again.

Anyway, I thinking of trying the multi-focal contacts from Bausch and Lomb. They run less than $50 for a six month supply (change them every 30 days) and they claim to treat distant and near vision. Anybody else try these? Were they a success or failure?

Registered
    May 2005
    My eyes are failing. I have never worn glasses, but now on the verge of 40, I have trouble with things like ingredients on packaging. I do the moving the item further and further from my eyes until focus is achieved dance which I associated with my parents and other "old people." My brother, who is 50, went through the same thing and now wears glasses full time. He said the next step is trying to read something tiny at a party and then ALL your friends take off their glasses and hand them to you for help...

My body aches a lot more of the time than it used to. I run about 4-5 mornings/week and it seems every month there is a new pain that emerges (and then fortunately goes away). In the last 6 months I have torn a calf muscle, developed lower back pain and experienced chronic knee flare-ups. I'm pretty careful to care for these things and take it easy when I need to, so none of them have come back. But its all new within the last 5 years that these problems have emerged.

The other day I was lifting something heavy at Lowe's and WHAM, I got the old man back strain, complete with hand on back, pained look and "oh my f*$%#! back!" exclamation.

Oh age, why do you mock me!?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I just realized I was relaying my thoughts to the town cop about the car load of teenagers that loiter in the parking lot near my house in the evening.

Up to no good, I tell ya.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    [insert Foghorn Leghorn voice] zman - whadya doin in the thread? you....you... young whippersnapper, I'm a-tllin' ya son, listen to me when I'ma-talkin' to ya kid, ya just don' understand....{exit left stage Foghorn Leghorn}

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I feel a little old lately because hardly any new music that I hear sounds good to me. I have no idea who the latest "it" artists are. I've been delving into older stuff lately as a result.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    I feel a little old lately because hardly any new music that I hear sounds good to me. I have no idea who the latest "it" artists are. I've been delving into older stuff lately as a result.
    Dude, that was so me about 4 years ago when i determined hip-hop was dead and switched what i mainly listened to. May i suggest electronica or indie rock to fill the void? That way you can one up the "whipersnappers" and saying, "listen son, that was soo 2 years ago man, i have been on that wagon since the beginning."
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Dude, that was so me about 4 years ago when i determined hip-hop was dead and switched what i mainly listened to. May i suggest electronica or indie rock to fill the void? That way you can one up the "whipersnappers" and saying, "listen son, that was soo 2 years ago man, i have been on that wagon since the beginning."
    Right on... I've actually been getting more and more into jazz and prog-rock. I've heard some indie stuff here and there that I've liked also. What I really need to do is get myself down to some shows in NYC. The whole music business has changed and I think the days of being able to talk about bands that everyone knows at the water cooler are over. It's a world of a million niches now.

Can you give me some names to check out in indie rock and electronica?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post

Can you give me some names to check out in indie rock and electronica?
    The Black Lips, Bishop Allen, The Dandy Warhols
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Hey, I got my first pair when I turned 30. Part of the of joy of having really poor unaided eyesight.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Hey, I got my first pair when I turned 30. Part of the of joy of having really poor unaided eyesight.
    I knew I was going to need bi-focals...that is what pushed me for the lasik surgery. Now I just have to remember to keep reading glasses around.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club