Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING getting old thread

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Glasses via e-order

In January I found a lab offering titanium frames (hinge-less) outfitted with progressives. About $180 shipped to my PO box.

Progressives let you select the lens location that works best for the task at hand, rather than the hard jump afforded by traditional bifocals.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Alright, I had another of those rites of passage yesterday: the colonoscopy. Nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. The worst was not eating for a day and a half. That and the taste of the "preparation." The nurses had to stick me four times before they got the IV going.

It's odd to be laying there on your side watching your guts on the monitor.

Perhaps this belongs in the small town planning thread, but it's also odd to bear your rear end to people you know from interactions at the counter. Although there have been times when I have wanted to moon a few applicants.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Perhaps this belongs in the small town planning thread, but it's also odd to bear your rear end to people you know from interactions at the counter. Although there have been times when I have wanted to moon a few applicants.
    Try going to a gynecologist and realizing she was one of the popular cheerleaders who went to high school with you, who knows your family, and who's brother is good friends with your brother. Nothing like catching up on friends and family life while her hands are going places that typically are off limits to those other than the Boyfriend.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Alright, I had another of those rites of passage yesterday: the colonoscopy.
    Welcome to the club. Not to be confused with Teh Clube.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    .... the colonoscopy....
    They're not doing that to me. That orifice is strictly for exiting purposes only. Mine will remain virginal.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

More Old & In The Way

Middle Of The Night Blues
    It has become quite common for this Bear to get up many times during the night, wander to the "little boy's room", and empty the ole' bladder. Some of this may be age-related, some may be related to possible kidney damage (they warned me) when I had the high-dose chemotherapy in preparation for the bone marrow transplant, and it may be a sign of an enlarging prostate (common in men my age).

About a year or so ago I had a test and everything was fine. But lately I have been getting up 5-8 times a night. Doc appointments are set-up for further "you are getting old, Mister Bear" evaluations.

Contacts & Bi-Focals
    For years I had contact lenses that I would only wear when I played basketball. Gave me great peripheral vision but because of the shape of my eyeballs I was uncomfortable wearing them for a long time.

When I finally received my first bi-focals (regular, not transition) that same day I went to the mall and had my ear pierced. Male ego, not getting old, yadda-yadda.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    They're not doing that to me. That orifice is strictly for exiting purposes only. Mine will remain virginal.
    Think again. Once I find us a doc in this town, since we're the same age, we're going in for "the test". Honestly, you would think by now there was some way to do it less ugly.

Registered
    May 2004

Bluetooth-look hearing aid

Seen in the Skymall catalog a few days ago. Not sure I want one (earplugs seem to be more useful).

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Try going to a gynecologist and realizing she was one of the popular cheerleaders who went to high school with you, who knows your family, and who's brother is good friends with your brother. Nothing like catching up on friends and family life while her hands are going places that typically are off limits to those other than the Boyfriend.
    okay, spit up coffee on my laptop -

for me - I get questions about work when I'm in the doctor's office and the dentist too -

Registered
    Jul 1998

It's odd to be laying there on your side watching your guts on the monitor.

:
    My doc put me out completely. I think I like it that way.

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I get questions about work when I'm in the doctor's office and the dentist too -
    That reminds me. A few years ago while getting a vasectomy, the doc says "can you do something about the tree obscuring the stop sign at so and so. I'm thinking he should be paying closer attention to what he was doing with the knife down there.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    That reminds me. A few years ago while getting a vasectomy, the doc says "can you do something about the tree obscuring the stop sign at so and so." I'm thinking he should be paying closer attention to what he was doing with the knife down there.
    and the correct answer is, "Absolutely! I'll take care of that tree as soon as I get back to the office!"

Registered
    Jul 2002

da scope

I've had two. I was awake, but the doc gave me some stuff that REALLY too the edge off. I just lay there as told off-color jokes while watching my intestines go by. I think I asked for a copy of the video for my web site.
    WALSTIB

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My doc put me out completely.
    Only way to go.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

DITTO HERE! Nice little nap and I asked if I could have some of that stuff in a 'to go' cup (they wouldn't let me).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I had my first 3 years ago.............at age 52.............didn't feel a thing..........went right to sleep, woke up as he was finishing...........didn't watch it on TV...........I was clean..........prep was no fun the day before...........I hear they are working on a different was to do it...........

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I was in and out of awareness. I was not aware of the probe going in (Thank you, Jesus!) and only saw or felt the voyage a few times. Also didn't notice the probe exiting, or going to the recovery room.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    This lady is my inspiration for getting old. She passed on last year but was alive and kicking at 101 at the time of this interview. If I am not mistaken, she was riding when she expired.

http://www.americancowgirl.com/film.htm
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    May 2004

Get scoped!

In the Weekend Plans thread I mentioned a buddy who is recovering from an operation.

A couple weeks ago the docs removed 70% of his large intestine. (Bright side: future c'sopies will be viewing much less plumbing.) He has an ostomy (curious? google it), which will be reconnected a few months hence. Says his mother had one for a long time; sounds like colon cancer runs in his family.

Said he can drive as soon as he's off the narcotics; he got out of the hospital a week ago yesterday. I collected him to watch a local bicycle race and see lots of people he knows. Between the final races he went off to the indoor public restroom to do some maintenance. (You can google that, too.)

I probed (heh) about his scoping history. Said he was on the five year plan (as he understands it, colon cancer takes five years to develop to the point at which something needs to be done). He's mid-fifties, self-insured, long-time engineer who's worked on structural designs and automotive things. Presently he's working at one branch of a local bike shop chain, doing "fit kits." (explained below)

Fellow bike clubbies are discussing having a fund-raiser for him, and since I had him captive in the four-wheeler, I probed on that, too. He said he was fortunate to have had many shop floor hours in May because his insurance will be paid through June, if he transfers some retirement funds. Chemo is pending. (He did not negate external financial assistance.)

I brought up green bananas (black humor; will I live long enough for these to ripen?). We compared notes on the costs of cancer treatments (my mother's ran to $100) and co-pays (my premiere scoping last year cost me $300 out of pocket).

JTIS

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bicycles off the floor are not really one size fits all, and there are many ways to tailor the components to adjust things for comfort and performance. "Fit Kit" is one such process.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Depth Perception

Something this Bear has noticed in the last year or so.....my depth perception "just ain't what it used to be". When negotiating a vehicle (perhaps in a parking lot or on a street with vehicular parking on both sides) it is much less apparent to me whether or not I have enough room to "squeeze" through. I always took pride in having exceptional depth perception.

I am just not certain if this changed condition has to do with the natural aging process or perhaps I have destroyed some of my ocular abilities as a result of the chemo and the bone marrow transplant. Any of you older fogies notice a change in your depth perception?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Something this Bear has noticed in the last year or so.....my depth perception "just ain't what it used to be". When negotiating a vehicle (perhaps in a parking lot or on a street with vehicular parking on both sides) it is much less apparent to me whether or not I have enough room to "squeeze" through. I always took pride in having exceptional depth perception.

I am just not certain if this changed condition has to do with the natural aging process or perhaps I have destroyed some of my ocular abilities as a result of the chemo and the bone marrow transplant. Any of you older fogies notice a change in your depth perception?

Bear
    I'm not old but I have that problem in one eye which makes it kinda interesting sometimes.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    got diagnosed with tendonitis in my right knee. told me to take a ton of ibuprofen and ice it and it should be better in awhile.

BF wants me to lay off soccer for awhile so it doesn't get worse. i say i have no games until sunday, 1 week is more than enough time to rest it.

what's up with parts of your body hurting that never hurt before? some how i managed to aggravate my left thumb. i must've slept on it wrong or something. how pathetic is that?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    what's up with parts of your body hurting that never hurt before?
    I could sleep on my stomach until I had a kid; since then, my back screams in pain if I do that. RJ has a "hitch in his get-along" most mornings.... just because he's been asleep. I have an elbow that won't work right from helping my son saw a derby race car in cub scouts years ago.

Everything you do just starts catching up after "a certain age". I still can't believe I was running up and down coaching and officiating soccer just a few (4) years ago; no way would I try it now.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Is this weird or what?

My entire life I've never had an abundance of body hair. Spotty facial hair, nothing on my back, the short 4-5 hairs on my sternum account for my chest hair, and leg hairs are dark but thin (they get real light (almost golden in color) being in the sun and pool (chlorine) during the summer).

Anyhoo, in the last 18 months or so, I've started developing more hair on my chest. It can be described as peach fuzz at this point. Is this typical of a guy who's entered the second half-century of his life?

I'm interested in hearing the responses from BUN, ofos, TO, and anybody else in this age group.

Yes, poor weather on the panhandle is hindering outdoor activities today.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The Rogaine is for the head, not the chest RJ

I don't get why hair starts growing more out of your eyebrows, ears and nose as we get older.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2002

mornings

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I could sleep on my stomach until I had a kid; since then, my back screams in pain if I do that. RJ has a "hitch in his get-along" most mornings.... just because he's been asleep.
    I remember when being stiff in the morning was a good thing.
    WALSTIB

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM