Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning vs. civil engineering?

Registered
    May 2008

Urban planning vs. civil engineering?

Hello,

I am hoping to get some honest feedback on different educational tracks for a career in planning. Ultimately, I'd like to be involved in sustainable urban regeneration (either public or private sector). From the job postings I've been reviewing, it's begining to look as though 1) a bachelors in civil engineering might be more usefull than one in urban planning and 2) getting a masters is unavoidable (I hope to complete that overseas, possibly in Scotland).

I am currently at the College of Charleston in South Carolina (non-accredited) and am worried that perhaps I should switch schools (Cal Poly Tech?) and maybe even majors. Given that I am 30 and this is my second career, I am keenly aware of how I am spending my time and don't want to waste any of it. If anyone can give me some insight into which degree program will ultimately prove more useful and/or recommend undergrad programs, I would *greatly* appreciate it! Or if you just want to throw out any other nuggets of advice, I'll take those too!

Thanks so much,
    Rachel

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    What do you mean by "sustainable urban regeneration" - the technical side, policy, or behavioral?

Each of those points in a slightly different direction.

In any case, though, I have a slight bias against non-accredited institutions. You probably don't have to move across the country, though - SC has many good schools that can probably do what you need.

Registered
    May 2008
    I graduated from CofC with the HP/Urban Planning BA degree and it got me nowhere and it wasn't for a lack of trying. I'm not sure if things have changed at all.. if it is anymore focused on the Urban Planning Aspect of the degree. When I was there, I took one Urban Planning course and it was completely open book. - - what a disappointment.. If you truly want this to be a career for you, go to another school.

I'm sorry to say it! I loved COFC and I loved the HP program and the professors, but there isn't one person who graduated with me that's doing anything with this degree, that I am aware of..

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Nov 2013, 6:17 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Oct 2013, 5:55 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Jan 2009, 10:57 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Jul 2006, 4:50 PM
  5. Replies: 57
    Last post: 07 Mar 2006, 3:15 PM