Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Certified Floodplain Manager

Registered
    Jun 2007

Certified Floodplain Manager

I've had the opportunity thrust upon me to become my city's new floodplain administrator, including paid training and exam prep and exam fees. I've never been a strong environmentalist or physical geographer (largely due to being uninterested). However, I have had interests in emergency planning and hazard mitigation. Are any Cyburbians CFM's and would anyone recommend one way or the other whether I should take up this new responsibility or tell me how earning certification in floodplain management has augmented or detracted from their career?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Not personally a CFM, but I have discussed the certification with a few engineers in the area with the certification. They've basically echoed what everyone says about any other certification; there are people who have the certification that don't know anything about it. All in all, they seemed moderately pleased with the requirements, but said it doesn't always spillover in to the workplace as intended.

In my neck of the woods this is an engineering certification and if I said I was interested people would likely get pretty upset thinking I was stepping on their toes. How is this viewed in other areas?

I would say that with the support (financial and personal) of your employer you should go for it. I'm not sure if there are CM requirements, but if not, I would expect that there would be soon. I would make sure your employer was aware of that (or at least the possibility). I assume that you have the "NFIP Floodplain Management Requirements" study guide put out by FEMA.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Yes that's the certification NFIP (only in Texas it's regulated by the state as well). It was the City Engineer who asked me if I wanted to do this. He has too much else on his plate. So I have the engineer's blessing.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have attended the NFIP and CRS classes offered by FEMA at their training center in Emmitsburg, MD. Both classes are well worth it.

So I was qualified to sit for the CFM exam; and like my AICP, I would have had to pay for it myself, and it was not required for my job either.

I have been the staff person responsible for our CRS (Class 8, currently working toward a 7).

If they are going to support you $$$ then I would say yes.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Soon.....

I'm gearing up to take the exam this fall.......
    Skilled Adoxographer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I was a CFM, but allowed it to lapse when I took a job at my current employer because I no longer dealt with floodplain issues.

From what I recall, the training was interesting and the CFM exam has a sky-high pass rate if you take it right after the 4-day training. As transguy said, there are people with CFMs that don't really know much, like any other certification.

If the boss man is willing to pay for it, then do it. Also, it doesn't hurt to ask if this new duty will result in any changes in compensation.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Heck with the compensation. Where are they sending you for training? And how many days & nights in NOLA will they cover??

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Heck with the compensation. Where are they sending you for training? And how many days & nights in NOLA will they cover??
    Sadly, the training is in Austin (a whopping 30-minute drive) and the fall conference this year is in... beautiful Nacogdoches. (Not a slam against Nacogdochesians or east Texas peeps in general - east Texas is really pretty)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Sadly, the training is in Austin (a whopping 30-minute drive) and the fall conference this year is in... beautiful Nacogdoches. (Not a slam against Nacogdochesians or east Texas peeps in general - east Texas is really pretty)
    Off-topic:

We call it Naco-nowhere around these parts.

My training and conference were in San Antonio. The training was at a public works facility out in timbuktu, so I didn't even have anywhere cool to go during lunch.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Apparently when TFMA calls somewhere "Austin" they mean the LCRA Riverside Campus in Bastrop.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Apparently when TFMA calls somewhere "Austin" they mean the LCRA Riverside Campus in Bastrop.
    Well, at least you've got a nice place for the training. Word of warning--thou shalt not trust Mapquest to get you to this destination. The LCRA website has a map on it somewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Yes, I am a CFM....

But after the last couple of weeks, I have some serious concerns, but it is just because I am in a big mess. Let me explain.

On June 11th a tornado came though a small town in our county. The tornados path followed the floodplain. There are many damaged/destroyed homes. Before they repair the damages, we have to determine whether they have been substantially damaged (50% or more). If they are they will have to come up to the floodplain regulations.

So you can just imagine telling people that have just been saved by their basement that now they will have to fill it in to be able to re build.

As far as the exam. It has alot of coastal stuff in it which is hard for those of us non coastal people. I HIGHLY recommend EMI. All you have to pay for is meals...

They may do a good job with the local education but it does take some time to get the concepts and apply them.

I am the Chair for this years conference in Kansas. We will have training and follow it with an exam.

They did pay for my exam but no extra $$$ for all the hassle.

Oh and I almost forgot. Our State pays for a large portion of the National Confernce. We were in Norfolk last year. Reno this year and Orlando next. The year after is in Oklahoma City. So that is a nice benefit for us.

PM me if you have specific questions.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 12 May 2014, 10:22 AM
  2. Certified Public Manager
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Aug 2013, 6:37 PM
  3. floodplain determinations
    Land Use and Zoning