Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Perfect President

Registered
    Apr 2003

Perfect President

NOTE: *** I realize that no President will ever be perfect. In fact, all of them will always be far from.

There is a obvious disagreement between what makes a good President and what makes a bad President. But what actions, qualifications, and direction would make a perfect president? They all appear to have a desire to make the US better, but what would they do and how should they do it?
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:
    You do realize that this thread will do nothing but re-hash the differences of users' political ideologies, right?

Your recent threads are bordering on trolling.....(see rule 2.15)

I'll let this thread stay open for now, but it will be closed if it denigrates into flaming and personal attacks.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Moderator note:
    You do realize that this thread will do nothing but re-hash the differences of users' political ideologies, right?

Your recent threads are bordering on trolling.....(see rule 2.15)

I'll let this thread stay open for now, but it will be closed if it denigrates into flaming and personal attacks.
    I appreciate your cooperation and I believe that the members of this board are civilized enough to have a non-partisan, qualities based discussion regarding a their desired president.

For me, the perfect president would be one who is able to do five things
    1. Unify both parties on big issues
    2. Secure our borders and improve domestic national security
    3. Reform federal finances including doing away with social security, wasteful spending, lobbyists funding political campaigns, and eliminate extra or unsuccessful programs, while balancing the budget or perhaps creating a surplus which would be invested in new energy technology and public transportation.
    4. Improve foreign relations (including ending the war as soon as possible without turning our backs on Iraq)
    5. Establish social reform policies where people, especially children, are educated about the opportunities that they have for years been told that only the wealthy have.

Beyond that, I don’t think that the rest really matters.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I appreciate your cooperation and I believe that the members of this board are civilized enough to have a non-partisan, qualities based discussion regarding a their desired president.

3. Reform federal finances including doing away with social security, wasteful spending, lobbyists funding political campaigns, and eliminate extra or unsuccessful programs, while balancing the budget or perhaps creating a surplus which would be invested in new energy technology and public transportation.
    4. Improve foreign relations (including ending the war as soon as possible without turning our backs on Iraq)
    5. Establish social reform policies where people, especially children, are educated about the opportunities that they have for years been told that only the wealthy have.

Sounds to me like your perfect president is Obama

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I do agree on some of those goodies, but that is a Christmas list of personal wants, which is why I want to chuck out the argument all together.

The president is human, and therefore can't be "perfect".

In its simple most basic form, the IDEAL president should be measured not on his political platforms (George Washington was very fearful of political factions) but on his character, his sense of judgement, and his ability to carry out the executive role as defined by the Constitution. The IDEAL president transcends all eras, past AND present.

I suppose the perfect president to me would be someone that is honest, forthright, and plain-spoken with the American people. Once we have that, we could begin discussions about policy.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

Unify: Also a quality I desire in my leader. I realize that complete unification of all ideologies is impossible, however mediation and consesus building is something that must be achieved in order to progress as a nation. Sometimes, the president will have to choose over the party line to make the right decision. The president should not cower from this and embrace this decision making authority.

Secure our Borders: I'm not sure exactly what you mean by secure our borders because that statement is heavy and carries many sub-issues. Do we want to prevent all immigration? Prevent illegal immigration? Explore amnesty or deportation policy? Or prehaps it's purely a national security issue. I agree that we should properly patrol our points of entry and ensure the baddies don't get in and cause harm from the inside. I also agree that we can't open the "floodgates" and let all immigrants in and grant the amensty regardless of they made it here. I do think there is reform that needs to be made which allows a clear path towards citizen ship and strong liminations on temporary workers permits or visas. We should not become insular. We are the melting pot.

Financial and Governmental role reform: I can't agree more that the government wrought with wasteful spending. However, I have some reservations regarding some of the programs that you call out. I think that social security can be a wonderful program to provide insurance to those who are not able to aquire life/disability insurance OR have had the misfortune of not being able to purchase any before their personal calamity. It should be treated as insurance and not as retirement as so many do. I personally think that the way funds are allocated to our military needs to be critically examined. The are a huge part of our expenditures. There has to be waste in there that needs to be removed. Every program has waste. The largest have the most. I don't want us to weaken our military, but I do want all dollars properly spent and accounted for.

Foreign Relations: I agree that our foreign relations need to be improved and one of the first things I want to see is open communication between us and our allies that is meaningful and shows a want to not only ensure our best interests, but also stablize and improve the security of our allies. We are the world superpower and our actions and words can effect our allies and the stablity of world relations. We need to embrace this role not as a bully, but as a benevolent protetor. To me, it seems we have failed recently in this delicate tightrope walk that is foreign relations. We can't leave Iraq just yet, but we can get a lot tougher on Iraq's fledging government. There is a lot of money being spent with little action or productive results on their part.

Education/Opportunity Education: This is tough one for me to understand. It doesn't start with the government.. it starts at home. The parent(s) of the child needs to let them know they have every opportunity that the wealthy have and they can become successful. Without serious reform to educational spending, the goverment has to continue thier role and be there to enable the children to seize their opportunity through loans, grants, etc.

I want my president to lead. I want them to inspire the populace to achieve great things and be concerned not only for themselves but for the well-being of other citizens. I want the president to think long term about the economic stablity of this country. We have two paths-- Become much more isolated economy and self-support, or embrace the world market (which is a much more complex issue). We are not currently managing our role in the world economy well. We are letting our main trading partners exploit labor and avoid environmental responsibility. As world leaders, we need to demand more.

I want our next president to: Encourage the strength of our urban areas, provide a redundant, reliable and multi-faceted transportation network, and enable the creation of more "working class" jobs.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I would like my leaders to be bullshit-free. I don't even care if it is someone of the other side of the aisle (well, I do a little bit) but if I could just get some straight talk I would be happy.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2006
    the inability to lie.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Perfect President is an Oxymoron. Unfortunately our bipartisan political system is only designed to give us half of that.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I think #1 is going to be the biggest problem. There are some issues where people just flat out won't agree. Examples:

- Abortion
    - Gun Control
    - Death Penalty
    - Gay Marriage

So, to actually accomplish the task, what can the perfect president do? I would say the only way is to pitch them to the individual states... but some people wouldn't like that, either!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Have you seen "Air Force One"? Drool....

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    To help those who want to know a little (or a lot) about our USA presidents, try the attached link. Cool stuff.

Bear

http://www.presidentsusa.net/
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Pretty fun website. Bill Clinton has a lot of allergies.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I think we all know who the perfect president could be like...President Palmer from 21..durr...
    No Signature Required

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Perfect Name
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 13 Jun 2013, 1:31 PM
  2. Perfect suburbs?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 31 Oct 2011, 8:30 AM
  3. Your perfect job/career