Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Road Trip Games

Registered
    Apr 2003

Road Trip Games

This morning on the radio one of the guys was talking about how when he was a kid, the family would pile into the Bellaire and head north. Along the way they would pay Beaver. Much like slug bug, you call out the word Beaver anytime you saw a station wagon.

When I was a kid, we had a list of states, and we had to keep track of the licence plates that we saw from other states. At the end of the trip the person with the most won. (I never won... I was too busy looking that everything but the cars)

Now they have in vehicle entertainment systems with video games, DVD players, and everything else.

What old school road trip games did you play when you where a kid?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We also played the license plate game. But in our family, the winner was the one who saw a license plate from the state furthest away. Alaska was always a winner, until the summer my sister saw a Hawaii plate!

Another game was "I Spy". When I was little (I'm the youngest) the list went alphabetically. First person had to spy an "A" item, the next person a "B" item, on down the line. As I got older, it changed to the first person had to find an "A" item, then the next person had to find an item that started with the last letter of the "A" item. Clarification: if the first person spied an apple orchard, then the next person had to spy an item starting with "D".

Since I get car sick reading, I also badgered my sister(s) into playing card or board games. We had several board games that had small boards and magnetic pieces, so you didn't lose them on bad roads.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The letter game. You had to find a sign with the next letter. You could not repeat a sign if someone else got the sign (i.e. Exit 12....Exit 13) The first to go from A-Z won. Getting certain letters was very bad. If you got Q fast, then the next person finding a Q was pretty tough. Which would give a pretty big lead until Y and Z.

We also played a lot of travel tic-tac-toe.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Little Brother and I played some mean games of license plate bingo on road trips with these bingo cards that had state names in the squares. We also went head-to-head in gameboy tetris for hours on end.

These days I just hypermile for fun on road trips.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I Spy, and Billboard Alphabet, and License Plate Hunt were the norm, but another that Mom liked to throw in was create a story where we could add 2 or 3 words and made up a story along the way

Mom: There was
    Brother: a cow
    Sister: who ate
    Me: mud alot
    Mom: and always

you get the point...
    (that might be an idea for a thread, naw nevermind)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty sure we were the only kids in history to do this, but there was a really really cool game we used to play where you'd stick your elbow or knee or foot or some part of your body into the other passenger's "side" of the car. If you caught the other party doing this you would scream out really loud "Mom, he's on my side again!" whereupon the perpetrator would quickly retract the offending knee or whatever and vehemently protest their innocence. After several rounds of this the game would usually end with one of the players throwing a punch, and the match being called by the referee (dad) with the admonishment that "he'd stop the car right now if we didn't cut that sh** out immediately!"

Ah halcyon days....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    we played (and still do) "Who Am I?" bascially one person gives 3 clues and then the other person has to guess who you are. the other person/people can ask only Yes or No questions to narrow down their guess. it is fun.

we also played "Name that Tune". one person hums a song and the other people have to guess the song. this is especially challenging w/ my dad b/c he can't carry a tune that well.

we also played a game that didn't really have a name to it but you go from A-Z taking turns with the basic framework of "A my name is Alfie and I come from Alabama. My favorite food is an Apple and I sell Animals." next person does "B" and so on. it passes the time.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Zap Bug
    Name that tune
    Bug Mom
    Harass your Sibling
    Stick your hand out the window and 'fly' it

Those were the top five for us.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Jul 2006
    We did license plates, cars (make, model, year), Mom he's on my side, fly hands until hit by large bug or rock, pick a category of anything and see who can spot the most. Also wildlife spotting, deer, bears, moose, antelope, etc depending on where in the country we happened to be.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Interperting what we saw in the shapes of the dead bugs that splattered on the windshield. As I recall, my oldest brother had a vivid imigination. Mom and dad rushed him to a psychologist following one vacation. He's fine now.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Man i must be young because those games didn't exist for my brother and I. It was all about coloring books, walkman and the gameboy for both of us.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    One of my favorite road trip games was to sit behind my dad and talk to him incessantly until he got mad and told me to be quiet. The goal was to go at least fifteen minutes.

What made it fun was my mom caught on after the first couple times and would smirk at me when my dad's face got red. I think she got a vicarious thrill out of it because outside of the car my dad talked a lot and she was his audience.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I'm still doing road trips, solo. I like to do mental calculations on my most recent fill-up and MPG. That can be entertaining for a half hour.

Then, using mile markers, figure out how far away my destination is, and how long it will take me to get there if I a) maintain 70 mph 2) increase it to 72 or 75 iii)stop for a coffee.

All about staying awake anymore. I spent some 15 years taking my own small business to special events; perhaps I was re-creating or re-working all those family road trips.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We too would play the billboard alphabet game and finding license plates.

To this day I still play the license plate game even when I am alone. Canadian plates are pretty common here so the real prizes are Alaska and Hawaii and Puerto Rico and the like or a special plate like a diplomatic plate. I think the furthest we have found on the roads here in the Detroit area is the occasional plate from Guam. A few weeks ago I saw a plate from Haiti and that was a first for me so I had to take a picture of it with my cell phone to prove to my fiancee that I did indeed see it.

We also used to play a game that we called "padiddle" in which you would call out "padiddle" when you saw a car with one headlight. Sometimes we would punch each other lightly in the arm (slug bug fashion) when you would see one but that portion of the game ended one night on our way home from dinner when my mom punched my dad after seeing one and he swerved over the white line and ended up getting pulled over. The cop didn't seem too amused at our choice of automobile entertainment.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    ...we also played "Name that Tune". one person hums a song and the other people have to guess the song. this is especially challenging w/ my dad b/c he can't carry a tune that well...
    I went on a short road trip this weekend and we played Name that Tune with a cell phone. Ringtones aren't that long and whoever got the song first won that round! (technology changes everything, doesn't it?)
    Now, my favorite kids play the "not touching" game in the car, (in the house, at the ball game,...). It makes me laugh every time -- especially when the youngest grabs her sibling's arm with one hand and is not touching with the other. Kids are so funny!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

Car games

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm pretty sure we were the only kids in history to do this, but there was a really really cool game we used to play where you'd stick your elbow or knee or foot or some part of your body into the other passenger's "side" of the car. If you caught the other party doing this you would scream out really loud "Mom, he's on my side again!" whereupon the perpetrator would quickly retract the offending knee or whatever and vehemently protest their innocence. After several rounds of this the game would usually end with one of the players throwing a punch, and the match being called by the referee (dad) with the admonishment that "he'd stop the car right now if we didn't cut that sh** out immediately!"

Ah halcyon days....

We played the "he/she's touching me" version where one player sees how close they can get with said hand/foot/elbow/knee without actually touching the other players. The rest of the game is about the same, except the referee would threaten that he was "going to start swinging and I don't care who I hit!".

That and the usual license plate game, I spy, etc.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    As a kid: car bingo. We had cards with stuff like barns, cows, etc we had to spot. When we wore a set out, they could always pick up new ones at Stuckey's. The alphabet game, find A-Z on signs. Always PennZoil for a "Z".

As a teenager: playing Grand Funk Railroad until Mom and Dad were about to lose their minds.

One I picked up for my kid a few years ago: Rubber Neckers. You deal the cards for things to look for, activities like "Make glasses with your fingers and get a person in another vehicle to acknowledge you".

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I was an only child and pretty good navigating with a map so I was generally my mom's co-pilot. I never really did play car games unless I was in a van/bus going to camp or a church outing. My teenager likes to sleep, listen to music, and will watch the occasional movie on her iPod.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Road-Trip Music Lists
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Aug 2006, 5:08 PM
  2. Road Trip 10/06/06.........
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Aug 2006, 3:59 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Oct 2004, 11:29 AM