Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camping Activities

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We went camping next to the beach in SC this past weekend. This trip consisted of breakfast and coffee, laying on the beach, reading, drinking and swimming, touring a Moorish-style mansion, more eating and drinking, fending off raccoons, looking at aligators, huddling under the trees for two hours during rain showers and telling stories.

I planned to fish, but left my pole leaning against the house. It was on The List, but I still missed it. We also brought cards and dominos, but never got around to playing. All in all, it was a great trip. Though, a few items have been added to the list: tarp, large plastic storage containers and a wagon (we had to park 100+ feet from the rustic tent site).
    Last edited by jmello; 29 May 2008 at 9:54 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Taking Junior out for his first real camping experience this weekend. The weather may be slightly chilly - highs around 60, lows in mid-40's - but that's just part of the Great Outdoors Experience.

I need to think of activities to keep Junior engaged (turns five in about 6 weeks) during the day (and not wandering aimlessly into poison ivy patches). Any suggestions?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    lots of hiking and biking - we just keep our kids moving when they are/were that age when we camped - any programs they have for kids in the park are good too

Registered
    May 2005
    One of the things I love about camping with the kids is that the forest is their playground. I never hear that they are bored or don't know what to do. A whole world full of streams, sticks and dirt seems to be a child's dreamland.

Still, we bring cards, we like to cook, building the fire is always a fun activity (tell a kid to go collect sticks and they'll be busy for hours), we read, nap, hike and explore. Stuff like that. Marshmallows are always a hit, but the funny thing is my kids don't really like to eat them that much - they just like the roasting. Oh, and staring at the fire is also a good nighttime thing to do. I can do that for hours.

Did I mention drinking? Beer and camping go together like beans and cornbread.

What I DON'T like when camping are: TVs, stereos/radios, electric lights, RVs, and most of all ATVs!!!! They have allowed them in some national forest service areas here and they have caused so much environmental damage (not to mention noise pollution) that I don't even go to those areas anymore. They are supposed to stay on the forest roads, and many do, but plenty also just charge off into the woods and cause erosion problems. Regardless, its the sound of them that drives me nuts. I can see they would be useful on your ranch as a utility vehicle, but ruining everyone else's good times with that obnoxious sound is not cool with me. Horses, mountain bikes, etc. are all good to me, but please keep the ATVs out of the forested areas! I go to the woods for relative peace and quiet, not gunning engines.

Rant over.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    What I DON'T like when camping are: TVs, stereos/radios, electric lights, RVs, and most of all ATVs!!!! They have allowed them in some national forest service areas here and they have caused so much environmental damage (not to mention noise pollution) that I don't even go to those areas anymore. They are supposed to stay on the forest roads, and many do, but plenty also just charge off into the woods and cause erosion problems. Regardless, its the sound of them that drives me nuts. I can see they would be useful on your ranch as a utility vehicle, but ruining everyone else's good times with that obnoxious sound is not cool with me. Horses, mountain bikes, etc. are all good to me, but please keep the ATVs out of the forested areas! I go to the woods for relative peace and quiet, not gunning engines.

Rant over.
    ATVs are the devil of the forest. My father calls em 'land rapists'. Even when they stay on roads many will rip the roads all to hell. There was a route I would take to town from my cabin in N Michigan that would go through a sandy national forset used as a preseve for the Kirtland Warbler. The sides of the roads are lined with various managed coniferous trees in an attempt to save this endangered species. My last trip on the road, I was several miles into the woods and dammed near got stuck at an intersections that the ATV'ers decided that it would be fun to rip the normally compacted sand into quicksand! No cell phone towers for miles and I was nearly stuck alone in the woods.

Another Rant over.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ok, if you HAD to take your in-laws with you on a camping trip and to do so HAD to take a.....a.....I almost can't say it.....an RV and could NOT include hiking or walking any distance in your list of things to do, what activites/entertainment would you choose for the week?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Ok, if you HAD to take your in-laws with you on a camping trip and to do so HAD to take a.....a.....I almost can't say it.....an RV and could NOT include hiking or walking any distance in your list of things to do, what activites/entertainment would you choose for the week?
    Alchohol
    Drugs
    Suicide
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Really? I suggest you drink heavily.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I support this motion.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Alchohol
    Drugs
    Suicide
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Quote Originally posted by btrage
    I support this motion
    Thanks guys, I just knew I could count on you to help come up with a viable solution.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This might be a new one for this thread. Went backpacking into Lake Superior Provincial Park last month, took my spotting scope and did some birding. Saw some snow geese and loons, heard plenty of warblers.

Registered
    May 2005
    Thanks guys, I just knew I could count on you to help come up with a viable solution.
    And now when your wife questions you when you come home from work with mass quantities of alcohol, you can tell her it was the fault of those douchebags on Cyburbia.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Alchohol
    Drugs
    Suicide
    I suggest that you get one of these installed in the RV. If that doesn't keep you amused, you'll be in good form to take Cardinal option three.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Alchohol
    Drugs
    Suicide
    You forgot to mention muzzles!

May the force be with you!!!!!!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Why on earth would you do such a thing?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Maister, you also might want to consider a diet heavy in beans, broccoli, eggs, and sauerkraut washed down with copious amounts of beer. That should inspire everyone else to take up outdoor activities and guarantee that you'll never be invited for RV camping again.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I support the quiet game. It works on my kids....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Fall activities 2013
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Sep 2013, 1:37 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jul 2012, 10:49 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Jul 2009, 2:08 PM
  4. Replies: 7