Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of Minnesota planning?

Registered
    Mar 2008

University of Minnesota planning?

Has anyone heard, or attended the University of Minnesota for a grad degree in planning? I am thinking of applying there this year but I have heard that it is mostly theory based and not applied planning. If anyone cold help me out with this I would appreciate it. I know you have to learn some theory but I don't want it to dominate my studies.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    As a alum of the other graduate planning program in the state of Minnesota, I will echo those conceptions. I was always told that MN State's program was much more practically based. I know one of MSU's professors teaches at the U of M as well. It seems like more planners in MN are alums of MSU, but I don't know what U of M's stats are.

IF you are looking for a practically based program I would strongly suggest you look at Minnesota State's program. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    OK, here's my perspective as a graduate of the U of M's planning program (1995). It is somewhat theory-oriented, although I hear it has become much better. However, I still think its a great place to get a planning education, for the following reasons:

1. Financial aid is generous. I got a free ride plus a stipend each year, for no apparent reason...
    2. The Twin Cities are a great planning laboratory for those intereste in "urban" urban planning (housing, transit, neighborhood planning, etc.)
    3. The political and policy side of planning is an important part that is often neglected at other schools. Understanding the impact of tax structures on planning, for example, is important.
    4. The University is huge, which has its drawbacks if you're looking for a warm and fuzzy experience but means it offers a huge amount of classses/electives

Anyway, I liked it a lot. I think that if your main interest is design, you may be frustrated a bit (the design courses are in the Architecture school, on the other side of the river, although I understand the connection has become far stronger than it was when I was there.) But if you're interested in land use policy and such, its a great school.

Good luck.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 9:29 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 May 2010, 12:26 AM
  3. Hello from Minnesota
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Sep 2008, 2:50 PM
  4. Replies: 6