Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Quantifying outcomes for a DOT grant proposal?

Registered
    Jun 2005

Quantifying outcomes for a DOT grant proposal?

Hey everyone.

I'm writing a Transportation Enhancements Program grant to provide us funds for sidewalk improvements (one new 1400 ft sidewalk, several ADA curb ramps for existing sidewalks, and some new crosswalks). We'll also be adding bike racks and "Share the Road" signs to locations throughout the municipality to make it more bike-friendly.

The grant guidelines call for the applicant to quantify the expected results from the project. The issue is that there is no data available on a street-by-street level through which to establish a baseline for improvements. Our regional planning council has data for entire municipalities, but not broken down to the level I need in order to quantify our outcomes.

How can I go about doing this? Is this even possible, given the lack of a baseline? I could say something like "We expect a 15% increase in pedestrian traffic on X street", but it would all be just guesses at best.

Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    It sounds like you've been talking to the wrong folks at your MPO or State DOT. You were probably talking to someone who is more focused on engineering than grants. I would suggest trying to find out who does the TIP coordintation. They should be able to help you.

I can't really comment much more on the issue unfortunately, each State and MPO have their own rules on the application process or forms needed.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    You don't have anyone to take pedestrian counts? We (the MPO) take bicycle and pedestrian counts for member munis all of the time. If that is not an option, a survey of residents/workers in the area may work. We did this for a snapshot of behavior prior to our Safe Routes to School project.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    A survey? Hmm... I've gotta submit this thing to State DOT at the end of next month, so I don't know if there's time to put a survey together. The MPO has data for arterials but not for side streets. I'll do some more digging and see what data I can pull together. Thank you both!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    A survey? Hmm... I've gotta submit this thing to State DOT at the end of next month, so I don't know if there's time to put a survey together. The MPO has data for arterials but not for side streets. I'll do some more digging and see what data I can pull together. Thank you both!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. We do special counts at the request of member munis all of the time.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Mar 2011, 11:10 PM
  2. Methodology - quantifying unmet demand?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Mar 2008, 4:59 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Feb 2007, 7:23 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Oct 2006, 6:36 AM
  5. Perfect plan, poor outcomes
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 May 2005, 2:59 PM