Urban planning community

Poll results: Do you leave your dog outside for extended periods of time?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 13.64%
  • No.

31 70.45%
  • Who cares?

2 4.55%
  • Mrow.

5 11.36%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you leave your dog outside?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Do you leave your dog outside?

How many of you leave your pooch outside during the day while you are not at home?

Now that it is nicer weather I'm considering it. Though I'm concerned about doggy being outside alone for over 7 hours.

The reasons I would do it: I wouldn't have to run home for lunch to let doggy out; doggy could enjoy the fresh air and interactions with nature; doggy would have more room to move around.

The reasons I would not do it: Concern about doggy's safety (I've heard stories of people's pooches getting snatched out of their back yard); doggy can be a bit of a barker.

side note: If I were to leave doggy outside he would have access to the garage for shade/escape from the elements and he would have plenty of fresh water.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We don't leave our pooch outside. In fact she would probably hate it and stand next to the back door all day waiting.

She spent the first 3 years of her life in an apartment, so she won't even just "go" in the yard on her own. She pretty much has to be walked.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Here has been my past experience. I had a neighbor who had two weiner dogs. She would let them out in the day time and even once overnight and most of the next day. Problem was the dogs quickly got bored and would bark. Incessantly.

If you decide to let your dog out in ther yard for the day, I would suggest you ask one of your neighbors who is home during the day to monitor how your dog is doing as far as barking. A couple of minutes of barking is not so bad, but if your neighbors have to endure long spells of barking, that is a problem.

My two cents.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My doggy has her own room in the house. Yes, I know - spoiled! She is an Italian Greyhound - small, thin skin and thin, short fur, not an outdoor breed, shy, and FAST - so no unsupervised trips outside, even in the fenced backyard. This is a breed that they tell you up front: Do Not Leave the Dog Outside for Extended Periods! Indoor pet facilities are provided by management.

During the day, she has a bedroom all to herself, with water, kibble (if she doesn't eat it all before we leave), two pee pads, her basket of toys, one old comforter (double bed sized) and a window. We used to have a wireless camera in there to check on her throughout the day, but it broke. She was usually asleep, anyway - curled up on the comforter in the corner.

I can't say if your dog would appreciate being outside all day. My parents have 2 standard poodles, and one of them would like to be outside when the weather's nice, the other is strictly indoors - her preference. It gets soooo hot here in the summer, outdoors is not a fun place for dogs. It's already 95, clear and humid here - doggy would be one very hot dog!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Nope my overactive mind would worry to death that they would have gotten themselves into untold sorts of trouble and danger. I fear one would bark like mad to get back in as he is spoiled and the other would eat my flower garden in anger. Never mind after years of life indoors they would not be suited to the heat and sun.

We do however take and tie them in the front yard on a line when we are up there pulling weeds or doing other such home type activities-we just never leave them unattended.

*OK I admit I even watch them on camera when I'm at work, I'm a helicopter doggie mom*
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

The Hellhound (usually known as Finn) does stay out in our very small yard for long stretches of time. He has a shed of his own and outdoor food and water bowls. I tend not to leave him out for the day while I'm at work as I'm not convinced the shared fence is dogproof enough for him to be left totally unsupervised. That said, I've left him out for several hours at a time in good weather and have gone to the shops and back (a fifteen minute walk). It's just that nine hours straight is a bit of a long time to leave him if he escapes or decides to let the neighbours know he's there.

So, mostly, he stays indoors while I'm out. He has grown out of his destructive phase, although I have a few remnants of that to clear up before I let the landlords see the state of the house
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Nope. I've been keeping Guinness and Bailey outside longer when I do let them out, but they're indoor dogs. I also don't want to bother neighbors with barking; they're not non-stop barkers, but they'll bark the mailman, parcel delivery services, and others approach the property.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Sophie (dog) and Jazzy (cat) roam freely between the fenced back yard and the house via the dog door, one of the world's greatest inventions.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm very lucky to have a dog that rarely barks. (I figure it's karma because our last dog barked nonstop!) Even so, I don't leave Megan outside for more than a few hours, even if I'm home. She's an older dog and tends to overheat quickly.

Have you considered doggy day care, or even a professional petsitter who could come by during the day and walk your dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We have a dog door where the dogs can go out as they please. They usually hang out inside and go out to use the yard we they need to. Sometimes, now that the weather is nice, they'll go out and "sunbathe" in the grass, but then come inside. They are pretty good dogs.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For a variety of reasons we keep our hund indoors. She's outdoor only if she's going potty, playing in the back yard or out for a walk. She hates camping and has been known to hold number two in for three day stretches until she can do her thing in her own back yard.

She's not spoiled, though. For example, the other day when it was my turn to fan her with a palm frond, she motioned like she wanted me to pre-chew her kibble for her. Needless to say I was prepared to do no such thing and instead merely put her kibble through the food processor and added 89 degree water (bottled not tap - she finds the city water slightly too acidic for her sensitive tummy). It's essential to establish who is the alpha-leader right off or those mutts will take advantage.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Texas summers aren't the ideal environment for our shaggy dogs. Add to that the fact that they've played "The Great Escape" card by tunneling out and it's just better to keep them in. It was interesting that when they escaped, they didn't know quite what to do with all that freedom so they went to the park at the end of the block where they get twice daily walks and did laps until we found them. Neighbors who saw them were highly amused. One is a self-walker who likes to carry his leash anyway.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm a worrier too so I would spend most day worried that Fenny broke through the fence or some sicko grabbed him for their own disturbing reasons.

We're in Upstate NY so the heat wouldn't be much of an issue most days. The humidity might be an issue but puppy was born and raised in Mississippi so Upstate humidity shouldn't phase him too much.

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post

Have you considered doggy day care, or even a professional petsitter who could come by during the day and walk your dog?
    We don't have a doggy day care in the area, that I'm aware of. I have thought of a petsitter but am afraid of the cost. I'm thinking of finding some responsible kid in the neighborhood, or even a stay-at-home mom that might have the time to stop by and let Fenny out for a wee around lunch time for a nominal fee. My concern about having a stranger come into my house, besides being a stranger, is our two cats. They are NOT outdoor kitties though if given the chance would make a break for it. They like to hang around the door when you're going in or out.

Most days I don't mind running home for lunch though these days things are so chaotic at work I often don't have time to let Fenny out or have to squeeze it in between meetings. I've also had to attend meetings/workshops out of town. Luckily my dad works close enough that when he is in town he can run over to let Fenny out.

Work is stressing me out as is, I don't need to add to it. Things will improve once BF gets back from Siberia but that's still 5 weeks away.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Not only do we leave the big dog out, he hates to come in. Might miss something. We just left for four days and left him in the yard. A neighbor boy came over to feed and water him.
    We have a huge back yard and it is his "job" to herd everything that moves around us. He would tear up to many things if we left him in. He needs to be busy and do his job.
    He is a Border Collie there herding instinct is extremely strong. They are working dogs. About the only time I can get him in is during the really cold winter nights otherwise he has the run of the yard.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Mufasa was always outside. I am alergic to dogs and my wife already had him when we got married. He was a full sized collie. We would clip him close in the spring, made sure he had plenty of water and shade. A few times we tried to let him in, but he was afraid to walk on the linoleum.He loved being out in the winter. Gosh I miss him

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We put our puppy/dog (9 months old) out on a run in the back yard when we will be out there with her doing yardwork, playing, etc.

When she can't see us, she starts barking incessently. So, as a courtesy to our neighbors, we try to keep in her line of sight and talk to her.

Also, If we leave her alone outside too long, she starts digging like crazy. It's hard to keep the back yard playable for the kids (ours and neighbors) if too many "potholes" spring up.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Nope. Our sole remaining dog, Suzie, would wander off and get into trouble since our yard is only partly fenced. She does not play well with others so we keep her under constant surveillance and leashed when she is out.

The late great Sweeto Bandito would happily lay in the sun on the deck all day. He had no interest in wandering off, unless a deer happened by. Late in his life he wouldn't even be moved by that. Maybe some barking to keep up appearances, then stretch out and catch some rays.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    We leave our dog outside during the day. We think she likes it. She hasn't mentioned otherwise. We lock the gate and she can't bust out anywhere. (When we first started doing it, we didn't have a lock and a roofing contractor we had asked to stop by accidentally let her out. Thankfully, she found her way home. I'm totally paranoid about locking it now.) She has a pretty large cool and covered area she can go if it's raining. She's a digger, though, so we actually fenced off half of our yard for her and half for us. She currently has several excavation projects underway. She's not a barker; if she was, we wouldn't do it because our neighbours are very close by.

It certainly makes it easier for us, because neither of us work particularly close to home. We don't have to worry so much if we decide to stop somewhere or go out after work.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I just got back from lunch outside on the deck with the dogs. It was nice, they laid out and sunbathed while I plowed through some chow and a book. They're back inside now, patiently napping by the front door for the arrival of my wife or me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't have dogs
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

ABSOLUTEL NOT

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't have a dog right now, but some of the things I've experienced:

I had a small 25-lb dog who taught herself to scale a 4.5-ft chain link fence.

A neighbor tried to shoot a dog of mine, who was outside at night, when I was in high school.

I don't know about where you live, but we have a lot of poisonous snakes down here, and a dog outside could be at risk. Ditto insects. 25 lb fence climber almost died from a bee or wasp sting, but thankfully I noticed her neck swelling after I'd put her on her run for a bit, and got her to the vet on time. You would not want this to happen if you weren't home.

I'm sure you have nice doggie.... but if it gets loose and you're not home to retrieve it, and it causes any problems, you could be in big trouble.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Never. Even when I'm out in my yard tanning, my dog will get bored, hot, or whatever and want to go in after about an hour, even though I still want to be out.

I wouldn't want my dog to have to be out in the elements all the time, because you never know how hot and muggy it will be, or if there will be a bad storm, etc.

Also, for reasons people have mentioned...looking out for the safety of the dog and whatnot. As well as the barking. Dogs will get bored, they will get antsy, and they will bark. And some people will call the cops or the pound or they will try and harm the dog. It's just not worth it to take that risk. Also, I think most dogs are OK without going out for 7 or 8 hours.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2003
    My border collie spends his day in a crate. Tried other, didnt work out.

But he is spoiled the rest of the time to make up for it!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    what is this housedog you speak of?

Where I live, after the neighborhood empties in the morning all the untethered dogs leave their unfenced yards and hang out in the turn around barking and chasing at everyone and any vehicle. And house cats? no one around here has ever heard of such a thing!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Leave time
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 28 Mar 2007, 3:34 AM
  2. Rat Leave
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 20 Dec 2005, 9:52 PM
  3. Replies: 4