Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ethics question: CRAs

Registered
    May 2008

Ethics question: CRAs

I witnessed a situation in my little burg recently that I can't get any fire started about. I think it's something that people should be lighting torches about and storming City Hall. But, no one seems interested.

We just went through (less than two months ago) an attempt by our City Commission to take over the function of our Community Redevelopment Agency. The charge was led by Commissioner "G" on the grounds of fiscal accountability and better communication needed between the Commission and the CRA - time to take over the whole thing. There was a particular project involved that political opportunists around here were making hay of and that was part of the problem.

Back story on Commissioner "G": She is a project manager for the local (within her City jurisdiction) Community Development Corporation.

The Commission ended up not taking over the functions of the CRA. But, just last week a request for $300,000 for a "grant or refundable loan" came up from the CDC that the Commissioner is project manager for to the same CRA that she tried to wrestle control.

All I am getting is a yawn. This is in Florida and I think the State Statute is clear that she has a major conflict of interest here that could be actionable.

The last piece of the puzzle is that I lost to her last year in a very close run-off election.

Advice?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The details of this situation should be transmitted to the local media outlets and let them investigate. You might want to have a third-person get the information to them to avoid the appearance of a "sour-grapes" candidate.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2007
    My advice is compose a well-done press advisory if you are convinced this is an issue, and keep it neutral.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I agree with RJ that this should be pushed by a third party to avoid the Sour Graps effect. Howevey you could feed the person the relevant info. If you get to the right media person/outlet, they can dig into it and maybe change some things.

Registered
    May 2008
    Thanks, all good advice. I have the situation thoroughly detailed on my blog, but I will identify someone else to deliver the goods, so to speak.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    You could file a complaint with the Florida Commission on Ethics and have them investigate.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    I used to live in WPB, worked for the CRA there, and remembered reading all the stories about LW and RB CRA's...don't miss it one bit..but I'm sure if you tip off the PB Post, they'll be more than happy to investigate and report..lol

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Mar 2013, 10:15 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Sep 2006, 12:20 PM
  3. Ethics question
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Feb 2006, 4:00 PM
  4. Need AICP ethics help (not a test question)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jan 2006, 5:54 PM
  5. Ethics question
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 8:50 AM