Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional or Social Networking Sites?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Professional or Social Networking Sites?

What do you use? What do you like or dislike about them?

So far I'm on a few - I like them mostly for a way to stay in contact with my acquaintances. My friends I stay in touch with through other (old-fashioned) means, but these seem to do a reasonable job of locating folks I've lost touch with, or folks I've worked with in the past.

So far I'm on:

Myspace - I don't use it much at all - too much spam, and completely focused on the social aspects.

Facebook - Academic & social focus (duh!) but seems to be expanding. Since I've been in an academic setting for the last two years, and want to return as faculty one day, it's not a bad way to stay in touch with other students and faculty.

LinkedIn - Professional Focus - so far I'm digging it for the opportunities for networking.

Plaxo Pulse - New, in the beta stage. Seems to be trying to mix the social & professional tracks.

Thoughts? Should we add a "Cyburbia" group on any of these?

ps - If you're interested in connecting to me through one of these means, let me know.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am on Facebook. Really I only use it because it was started when I was finishing college and it was nice to be able to see some of those people. It is some-what odd to get requests to be friends with people that I have not seen or talked to for years. But some people need more friends right?

Other than that, I try not to get involved with online worlds (other than Cyburbia of course). I used to use AOL Instant Messenger back in the 90's when EVERYONE was on it. Now there are too many other options and cell phones are used so much more. I still don't believe in text messaging, but that is another thread.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I just had a LinkedIn induced conundrum this morning. This year, there was an overthrow of the town's reigning party - there hasn't been a Dem on the Town Board since the depression. One of the new Town Board members, that I've met once, just asked to add me to his network. the message was the generic "Since I know and trust you..." :sigh:

anyway - i have a myspace page, but never ever use it - the site is just so junked up. I am on my facebook page a bit - it really is nice to be able to keep tabs on all the random friends from undergrad and high school, but not really have to put much effort into it, kwim?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    There's a Cyburbia group on Facebook if you'd like to join it. Myspace isn't that great these days... it was a lot better back when it first started. All of the friend requests from advertising bots and adult websites kind of ruined it.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames
    There's a Cyburbia group on Facebook if you'd like to join it. Myspace isn't that great these days... it was a lot better back when it first started. All of the friend requests from advertising bots and adult websites kind of ruined it.
    you mean that half-naked woman that just moved to my area didn't want to be my friend? I just set the filter to stop those.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2005
    I use Facebook (mostly) and LinkedIn (not so much). I have a My Space page, but its lame-o (IMO...). Is it humanly possible to fit any MORE crap on those pages?!

I use Facebook the most because its my avenue to stay caught up with friends who live elsewhere or who I don't speak with often. LinkedIn seems more professional development oriented and I'm not really so concerned with that at the moment.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I feel old. I have none of these and have no desire to join one. The only reason I would join would be to try and find out some dirst on a potential employee Oh yeah!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I have a Facebook page from my undergrad days. I update it maybe once a month but don't spend much time on messing with it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2007
    A cyburbia facebook group? Count me in! I already put my request in admins

I just finished up grad school and facebook seems to be the social networking site of choice for college. I have found it helpful for keeping tabs on classmates. I also have linkedin which is a bit more 'professional.' I got a whole bunch of my classmates to join that so that we can all keep in touch with our career moves, because planning is a small world.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I've used myspace for years. Never got in to facebook. Just started using linkedin.
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I got hooked on Facebook and Myspace when I entered college in 2005. I lost interest in Myspace after a year or so though...it just got rather childish, seemed too high-school like, and became old and archaic rather quickly as they just weren't able to keep up with the rapid changes in the Internet. Also, maintaining the profile page required too much effort to keep it up-to-date and interesting-looking. I also didn't like the fact that with Myspace, you weren't able to separate or filter your friends as easily as with Facebook.

I still have a Myspace account, but it is bare-bones, and I only go on there maybe once a month, if that.

Facebook is great, more streamlined, and easy to use, and you're better able to split up your networks (your college friends, your high school friends, etc.) and add people to your limited profile friends list, who can only see certain parts of your profile (e.g. a co-worker who doesn't need to see uncompromising pictures of yourself; an acquantainence or colleague who could use your profile info to blackmail or backstab you somewhere down the line). In addition, the applications they've since added seem very easy to use. Granted, some people have gone over-board with them, but at least it makes it interesting and somewhat interactive. Facebook used to only be available to colleges, then they expanded to high schools, and now they've expanded to everyone. I can see why though, as college people want to keep up with each other after college. I must say, though, that Facebook has done a better job of keeping the riff-raff out than Myspace has.

For a time, I was on a site called Xuqa, but I quickly found it to be more of a time-waster to play games with random people on the Internet, rather than a social networking site. I believe my account with that site is since disabled, but it might still be active. Not sure...I probably should look into that.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I have a facebook and myspace. I really don't use myspace for much networking. I go to music artists sites. I mostly use my google blog. I have a linkedln account,,, as I was invited. I guess I don't use these much because I am not looking for a job and am not dating (although single).
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    What about hotornot.com (or its runner up, eharmony.com)?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Old fuddy duddy neo-luddite, still not on the grid, except here.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by tsc View post
    I have a linkedln account,,, as I was invited.
    Same here but that's it. I prefer my social/professional networking to be face-to-face, except here of course.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm on LinkedIn, though I probably haven't used it to its full potential. I'm too old for MySpace, I think.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    I first joined facebook back in 2004 during my undergrad as a way to keep up with parties and chicks. Over the years as everyone has stated, it has grown to allow multiple users and has become crowded with applications that i dont much care for. I mainly use it to keep up with my college buddies like a digital phonebook/message center.

Myspace has always seemed a little less professional since people have bling letters and flashing backgrounds...but i still have a myspace mainly for chicks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Sep 2012, 1:15 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 2:27 PM
  3. Social Networking
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 23 Jul 2009, 2:29 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 03 Feb 2008, 8:33 PM